Thread: Miniature Wargaming

Miniature Wargaming

I had a thought, how many of the community would like to see a book about the hobby. Not wargaming as a whole , but just miniature wargaming ?

I've been thinking about books on the subject , things such as fluff or non fluff, comp and how that works , the in-fighting between different systems.

Chapter Master

Re: Miniature Wargaming

Is this a book your intending to write or just one you'd like to read?

The infighting? Anecdotes about arguments on Warseer etc about which game is the bestest eva? There isnt really much of it, its just that the empty vessels make the most noise. I dunno...maybe a comparison of a broad range of rulesets and games etc would be better, and might actually have useful info for a beginner who otherwise might look at the vast range of games available and then suffer from exploding head syndrome...

Im not sure what fluff or non fluff means? I cant think of a wargame that doesnt have it (except possibly chess) whether its published as part of the ruleset GW style or something you have to find out about yourself as with most historical games. Or do you mean army selection? I.e should it be fluffy or not. Unless you limit yourself to one area like GW Tourney play it doesnt sound like something you can have a meaningful discussion about. Consider the question "I want to collect a Napoleonic French army but why won't my gaming group let me use Gatling Guns and laser-guided missiles?"...you see? As a debate its almost meaningless outside of certain circles (by which I mean "away from Warseer") ! Personally I always feel that a line has been crossed when I see Napoleon with dual Power Fists....

Again "comp" ... what is comp beyond something that turns up in some warhammer tourneys (possibly Warmachine and FOW too) ? Its not exactly a regular feature of my wargames, and I suspect not of anyone elses either. With the exception of tournament goers, who are a weird bunch anyway and I would advise against pandering to them any more than is neccessary

Unless Ive missed the point of your post entirely it sounds like you want to write a book for a tiny minority (tourney players) of a tiny minority (warhammer players.) I would suggest that perhaps in order to make sure it actually sells you may want to consider making it something that would be of interest to all wargamers, even those for who wouldnt know a "comp" if it landed in their dinner.

Still one things for sure, researching a book about wargaming has gotta be fun, as long as you stay well away from the tourneys

Get a tustom citle 'ere! blackcherry's Avatar

Nah, tourie gaming can be covered in less than a paragraph. A bit of fun,but don't take it seriously. Avoid those that do .
    Quote Originally Posted by outbreak View Post
    I always thought the dwarfs fit well as the rugged stoic Brokeback Mountain type homosexual race of Warhammer. It explains why they're not reproducing as much too. On the outside their all gruff and hard but on the inside their just cuddly bears looking to be loved.
    I now have a sale on. Come get your models for cheap! Blackcherrys Sale Thread

I've read a few books about how wargaming evolved, and its current real-world uses. Those were kind of cool.
    4th Annual Aeronautica Imperialis Campaign-Blood and Irongard

Aquanautica Imperialis- FREE, naval game for the 40K Universe. Here: http://www.box.net/shared/e2dmaf1zaj

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Easy E View Post
    I've read a few books about how wargaming evolved, and its current real-world uses. Those were kind of cool.
    Titles please?

I read most of "confessions of a part time sorceress" which was an introduction to roleplaying (or rather D and D) aimed at women (I was giving it to my partner as a gift to help her understand my hobby wanted to make sure it didn't mislead). That was a fairly entertaining read as it mixed up anecdotes with a bit of rules and some back story.

I guess you could do something similar with wargames you could target it at partners of wargames or maybe at parents to help them understand the hobby, or as suggested above a beginners guide.

Hm. Not sure if people would read that as it's rather simple as it is. There's tons of (very good) wargaming literature but very rarely it covers specifically sci-fi and fantasy or the kind of wargaming as it evolved due to GW (and heavily deriving from pen&paper roleplaying games of that time).

Chapter Master

A quick amazon search came up with 5 for starters: As far as i can see they dont concern themselves with rules as such, though they may have basic sets, just guides to wargaming including timelines to its development etc. Theres a lot more for sure...in fact theres one Ive been looking for for years, I remember seeing it in my local library and Id love my own copy only I cant remember the blasted name!!!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Donald-Feath...ref=pd_sim_b_4
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wargaming-In...ref=pd_sim_b_2
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wargaming-Bu...1149744&sr=8-1
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wargaming-Co...149744&sr=8-11
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Featherstone...149744&sr=8-14

Aught to mention: most rulesets have this sort of info too...well some do...the ones that consist of 8 pages of A5 covered in dense and impenetrable prose, not so much.
    Last edited by Commissar Vaughn; 07-03-2012 at 19:05.

Donald Featherstone's books are classics and generally regarded as a must-read. And I'm SO looking forward to when Henry Hyde's Wargaming Compendium goes into print. It was supposed to be out last summer but things got in the way it seems.

By the way, if you're interested in miniature wargaming on the whole, I can not recommend the A View from the Veranda series of podcasts highly enough. Two very knowledgable people having a highly entertaining chat about wargaming. Along with Meeples and Miniatures it clearly is my favorite podcasts.