Thread: Salamander Sternguard (fluffy/effective?)

Salamander Sternguard (fluffy/effective?)

Long time wolf player, but I've always loved my fiery brethren. I've been thinking of putting together a small army for team games and was wondering on how some fun/fluffy sternmanders would be decked out.

1.) I thought about this layout to run around in a razorback. This unit would zoom to a decent mid-field position to use their multi-meltas. 40 point LoS blocker will help them secure where ever they set up. The combi-flamers and powerfist are just in case kinda deals for those faster assault units that get to close. Not sure if I should just make the multi-meltas meltaguns for better mobility.

6 Sternguard - x2 Multi-melta, x2 combi-flamers, Sergeant w/ powerfist - 195 pts
    Razorback - 40 pts

2. ) Cover breakers, for those annoying units that hunker down in cover these guys will break them. With dragonfire bolts and lots of flamers this is the infiltrator/heavy weapon squad killing squad. I really like the idea of this squad. While not that great against Space Marines, with Vulkan all your flamers will more than likely wound and force tons of armor saves.

8 Sternguard - x2 heavy flamers, x2 combi-flamers, x1 powerfist - 255pts
    Drop pod - 35 pts

3. ) Bunker down, with a techmarine in the army these guys sit in cover and dish out some fire.

6 Sternguard - x2 lascannon - 155 pts

I'm inclined to lean towards option 2. It's expensive, but bar dropping them on marines or termies, they will reek havoc. Four templates that can re-roll wounds, special ammunition, and three powerfist attacks on a charge.
    6th edition Morkai's Great Company (SW):
    W/D/L
    18/6/8

Chapter Master

Re: Salamander Sternguard (fluffy/effective?)

Sterngaurd are only marginally better in combat than tactical squads (much worse on a point for point comparison).

My own Sternguard carry heavy flamers and combi-meltas. They are always in Rhinos. If accompanying Vulkan or an avenger Librarian I only take one heavy flamer, otherwise they get two.

All the squad weapons benefit from Vulkan if I take him.
    "Reason is a thing of God, inasmuch as there is nothing which God the Maker of all has not provided, disposed, ordained by reason - nothing which He has not willed should be handled and understood by reason" Quintus Tertullian

10 sternguard in a drop pod 5 with combi-melta and 5 with combi-plasma (or combi-flamer if against horde). Turn 1 land and you split the weapons depending on the threat in range and targets you need to hit. i.e. Lots of tanks/transports = have combi-melta in both squads to target 2 tanks. If you want to really make a transported squad dead you hit it with the combi-meltas then light them up with combi-plasma (or flamers) and you will easily wipe most units off the map. Of course this is more effective with Vulkan for all those rerolls.

And if you go for redundancy in your lists then having 20 sternguard setup the same and targeting two areas causes all sorts of headaches.

I typically have 2 sternguard (equipped as above) and an ironclad dread in a droppod. 2 pods drop on turn 1 to cause my opponent to go on the defensive and I can target the weakest links in his line the second turn the last pod drops and the rest of the army has arrived to support with more melta and flamer spam.

It's fun and fluffy.
    ~Cheers!

[WOTR] Dwarf Tactica

[Warhammer 40k] Imperial Navy Tactica

+1 on 10x combimelta/combi plasma in a Pod

Ouch...just so much ouch....

"You are but ephemeral whereas we are forever"
    - Imhotekh the Stormlord
    Compilation of my Necron Batrep detailing the conquest of the Sautekh Empire - The Sautekh Chronicles

I play against a lot of necron and eldar so I may use the 5/5 droppod but drop a plasmagun for one heavy flamer. I never really use flamers in any of my lists so I really would like a few against scarab farms. All in all I really love that strat Billpete002. Thank you for the great ideas.
    6th edition Morkai's Great Company (SW):
    W/D/L
    18/6/8

I use 5 in a rhino with 2x heavy flamers and 3x combi meltas. Fairly cheap and can be used for different roles as needed. When used in a list with Vulkan, the TL combi meltas make sure that 1 shot hits and the heavy flamers really put the wounds on things.

While not brilliant in combat, they are actually as good as a 5 man assault squad (minus jump packs ofc). Can fire 3 meltas and 2 heavy flamers before charging for 3 attacks each. Against non combat troops, they more than hold their own.
    Stuff I'm working on:
    40k - Pre Badab Astral Claws - Hive Fleet Phobos - *New* Imperial Fists / Blood Angels Heresy Era
    Fantasy - One nation under Hashut

Well darn, I thought I had already responded to this.

Fill up on heavy flamers and give the rest combi meltas. Heavy Flamers are each about as good as a plasma (on MEQ) if they get 4 hits (before Vulkan. If you take Vulcan 3 hits is good enough), and sternguard already have ammo that can lay a lot of wounds down. They have no need for going plasma heavy since:
    -again, they already have good ammo
    -you'll probably want them to be opening up tanks early on
    -heavy flamers are already *that* good; and way way way way way *way* better than plasmas against *every* non-MEQ/TEQ army.
    -They also allow you to assault afterwards allowing you to peel open a transport and assault what's inside (when it's safe to do so.)

If you were chaos; I would vouche for some combi-plas on your Termies probably; but you're not. You have everything you need without going plasma.