Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Baldur's Gate returns!

Veteran Sergeant

Re: Baldur's Gate returns!

OK, I still don't agreeing with repackaging existing content, and although I disagree, I do understand the appeal that it has to other gamers. Now, I might be intrigued if there are new additions to the existing campaigns - as much as I enjoyed BG1 and 2, I've always felt as if there could be more - especially BG2, which so badly lacked the exploration of the first game (not that I imagine that's going to be changed...). I would love to see a little extra treatment with respect to, say, the death of party members.

One thing that I really don't get though, is given where TOB ended, what can one expect from a BG3? I mean, the PC would absolutely have to be a different character, right? I mean, you're so ridiculously powerful at the end of TOB that it would be silly to try to carry on with that same character. Is there any indication at all of what a third game might entail?

Stick figure on a beach Arnizipal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by asphodel View Post
    One thing that I really don't get though, is given where TOB ended, what can one expect from a BG3? I mean, the PC would absolutely have to be a different character, right? I mean, you're so ridiculously powerful at the end of TOB that it would be silly to try to carry on with that same character. Is there any indication at all of what a third game might entail?
    Yes, I linked to it remember?
    Come join the discussion at the Warseer Anime Fan Group

Quote Originally Posted by sigur View Post
    Yo Dawg, I heard you like Bladerunner so we put that on the 52" lcd screen in your doomwheel. And a fishtank full of electric eels to power it.

I will buy the collector editions of these if they have them when they come out. I spent almost all of my teenage years playing these games and it looks like I'll be playing the remainder of my 20's and early 30's on these...
    Quote Originally Posted by starlight
    "But mommy, it's for my secret friend in Iowa."
    Quote Originally Posted by My Roommate
    "I've seen pictures of you as a child, you were always terrifying"
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruination Drinker View Post
    You sound like the kind of guy who should be writing codexes.

Here is a news article that may be of interest, it talks about some of the ne content they will be adding, notably a new companion and story arc.
    In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only British.
    Actual (alleged) girl. Alpha Female.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jes Goodwin
    They breed more anyway, its a pretty rough place, Commoragh, there's a lot of it going off.

I hope that it sells well.

I loved BG 1&2 and would love a third.

The only thing I hope is that d&ds 4th ed is ignored, especially the whole spellplague thing, If they do a third game.

Thanks eldargal that's a nice little find, sounds pretty good!

Quote Originally Posted by Demiurg View Post
    The only thing I hope is that d&ds 4th ed is ignored, especially the whole spellplague thing, If they do a third game.
    The Spell Plague took place well after the Baldur's Gate series ended. There's no reason for it to have an impact on the game. Also, I wouldn't expect to see the games released using 4th edition rules. I suspect that the game will still use 2nd Edition rules.

If and when a Baldur's Gate 3 is released, I still wouldn't expect to see the 4th Edition rules used, as the 5th Edition rules should be out long before BG3.

According to this article, if BG enhanced does well they would like to do the same for Icewind Dale. I wonder if they could enhance IWII to make it as good as the first?
    They breed more anyway, its a pretty rough place, Commoragh, there's a lot of it going off.

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    I wonder if they could enhance IWII to make it as good as the first?
    Out of curiosity, in what way was the first one better? I seem to remember thinking the second one was an improvement. The memory's a bit foggy though, and I definitely liked both of them.
    Idiots... nothing can live forever.

To be honest I forget, I just remember distinctly preferring IW1. I actually bought IW2 from GoG a while ago so I probably shoudl actually play it and try and remember why I preferred the first one.

From memory the only improvement of the second one over the first was it was based on the BG2 engine. The story, as much as it was, was better on the first one, and you had to think about party makeup more. On the second I just powered through each encounter without having to think. On the first I spent lots of time planning and reloading. Perhaps that was because by the time I played IWD2 I'd put a thousand plus hours into the Infinity Engine game series so was more proficient, or perhaps it was because the second was more "streamlined" and therefore less tactical (like most RPG sequels).
    Still's Heresy Log - Thousand Sons, Death Guard, Mechanicum

The story in the first Icewind Dale game was much better... to the point where I was never able to force myself to finish the second game (despite multiple attempts...). There were also various other issues that showed that the developers really hadn't put enough work into the game. For instance, one item I remember involved spell scrolls for casters. In the town you start in, there is of course a vendor that sells spell scrolls for your spell casters. After saving the town from the immediate threat, you get sent off into the wilderness for a while. You're likely to reach level 5 before you get back to the starting town. Unfortunately, it turns out that there is literally not a single spell scroll to be found higher than level 1 (and I'm not sure that those even exist) during that trip in the wilderness. Or in other words, if you don't stock up on spells that you can't use at that moment (i.e. you rely on the not-unreasonable assumption that there will be at least a few usable spell scrolls available for looting), then you'll be stuck with an underpowered mage until you finally make it back to town and can shell out the cash needed to fix the problem.

There were other oddities, but that's the one that always comes to mind.

This is great news as i've been considering replaying through bouth BG1 and BG2 and now i'm just going to wait for this and enjoy it as an almost new experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Eumerin View Post
    The story in the first Icewind Dale game was much better... to the point where I was never able to force myself to finish the second game (despite multiple attempts...). There were also various other issues that showed that the developers really hadn't put enough work into the game. For instance, one item I remember involved spell scrolls for casters. In the town you start in, there is of course a vendor that sells spell scrolls for your spell casters. After saving the town from the immediate threat, you get sent off into the wilderness for a while. You're likely to reach level 5 before you get back to the starting town. Unfortunately, it turns out that there is literally not a single spell scroll to be found higher than level 1 (and I'm not sure that those even exist) during that trip in the wilderness. Or in other words, if you don't stock up on spells that you can't use at that moment (i.e. you rely on the not-unreasonable assumption that there will be at least a few usable spell scrolls available for looting), then you'll be stuck with an underpowered mage until you finally make it back to town and can shell out the cash needed to fix the problem.

There were other oddities, but that's the one that always comes to mind.
    Currently now having a go at IW 2 again. The memories that stick in my mind is both the 3rd ed rules, which I preferred greatly compared to those used in BG2, as well as the option to have Drow and Duergar characters. I also remember the story as being quite weak, and the final bosses as unbeatable.
    Plog of Jericho - Wood Elves, Daemons, Beastmen, CSM and Whatnot.

MD: You got a christmas gift?
    House: Yeah, 'cause I worship Santa. Or wait, is that Satan? I always get them mixed up.

Interesting bit of information that I just found out: If Overhaul Games is successful with the Baldur's Gate series....they'll be doing an update of Planescape:Torment. I'm going to change my previous statement. Instead of one copy I'll buy ten if it means an update to Torment!
    Quote Originally Posted by starlight
    "But mommy, it's for my secret friend in Iowa."
    Quote Originally Posted by My Roommate
    "I've seen pictures of you as a child, you were always terrifying"
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruination Drinker View Post
    You sound like the kind of guy who should be writing codexes.

Quote Originally Posted by VanHel View Post
    Interesting bit of information that I just found out: If Overhaul Games is successful with the Baldur's Gate series....they'll be doing an update of Planescape:Torment. I'm going to change my previous statement. Instead of one copy I'll buy ten if it means an update to Torment!
    Words cannot express my delight at the thought of somebody heaping some love onto the greatest RPG of all times.

I still aim to tattoo the rune of torment on my shoulder someday. God I love this game.
    Plog of Jericho - Wood Elves, Daemons, Beastmen, CSM and Whatnot.

MD: You got a christmas gift?
    House: Yeah, 'cause I worship Santa. Or wait, is that Satan? I always get them mixed up.

Quote Originally Posted by VanHel View Post
    Oh... Now THAT I could get behind.

Don't get me wrong. I liked both of the Baldur's Gate games. But Torment is on a tier all its own, imo!

I just finished Planescape Torment... and I have to completely agree, away with the Hack and Slash Icewind Dale bring back the Tales of the Nameless One.
    Bretonnians ARE NOT a pure Knightly army.
    Half the army choices consist out of Peasants and Damsels.
    'Pride cometh before a choppa in the face'

We now have a release date and a price. September 18th for PC, and 20 dollars. Seems reasonable enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Satan View Post
    You think I'm joking? Who here has heard about the game called "World in Conflict", made by Massive Entertainment?
    For the production of this game they flew in a team of former spetznas soldiers to a rented facility where they had them running around doing motion capture. This also had to be clread with the national security police IIRC. TBH I haven't played the game myself, but you've got to ask yourself whether such an extravagance is alltogether necessary for the production of a game?

I agree with Eldargal that you have to compromise, but that you shouldn't do so if it leads to a bad final product.
    I just have to pich in that world in conflict was AWSOME.. =) and yes, I played Dune when it was first released.. =)

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast