Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

Thread: So what does everyone want?

  1. #1
    Chapter Master Malorian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Fort McMurray, Alberta
    Posts
    16,863

    Exclamation So what does everyone want?

    It seems that ever since I stopped my doubles tournament that the arena of death has fallen apart. (No offense to the great tournaments ran by others.)

    My ninja assassin tournaments just aren't bringing in the people I thought they would, which leads me to think that people aren't really looking for an interactive arena.

    So I want to know: what does everyone want?


    Please post which of the folling is most important to you:
    -interaction (picking actions and/or betting)
    -good story (write ups with the battles)
    -fast pace (2-3 fights a week rather than 1)


    My worry is that it may be too late, so please post your thoughts ASAP.
    The only cure known for the dreaded illnes of Ruleslawyeritus is a swift dosage of punchinthefaceicilin. -Tapok
    The 7 Habits of Effective Gamers: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232493
    The ONLY reason i joined this forum was to join Malorians arenas. - teafloy_the_damned
    Join the Arena of Death!: http://www.warseer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25
    Me on Youtube!: http://www.youtube.com/user/MrMalorian?feature=mhum

  2. #2
    Get custom skink 'ere! MOMUS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Bristol/Weston
    Posts
    3,156

    Re: So what does everyone want?

    Am i the newest recurring player in the AoD?

    I joined because i frequent warseer alot (exploring all the sites areas) and i was also getting into wfb at the time, so learning the rules in another context helped me out.

    My thoughts are that they should always be very accessible (for outsiders), have simple rules and be easy to follow, which the current ninja assassin thread is. A faster turn over of battles could make AoD threads on general more accessible. As it took me a LONG time to read the previous doubles threads, before i felt confidant to join.

    I do tend to enjoy the 'random' elements of the battles more, which i why i usually try out the 'fun' options like 'steal' or 'grab' more than just double attack, double attack etc. A game more geared towards this kind of style of play might be more enjoyable or attract newbies? But it might turn off the old guard.

    Story is what the players make it, i dont think it should fall just to the thread owner, but i do enjoy reading someone elses view on a battle as with the monster mash thread.

    I would hate for this section to end up like the chain-quiz section.
    Last edited by MOMUS; 16-03-2012 at 17:11.

    Quote Originally Posted by Doi View Post
    Knowing MOMUS I would guess something dirty and/or depraved.
    Or conning you into making a giant-sized Slann.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Inquisitor View Post
    That was pretty epic, MOMUS.

  3. #3
    Commander jamesterjlrb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Behind you
    Posts
    707

    Re: So what does everyone want?

    My problem is my lack of incentive to keep logging on all the time. I work on a weekly schedule of looking at comics etc. so interactive is fine, so long as the days for me to make my interactions are set. That was the problem for me with the ninja assassin, not only were the days of the results not set as far as i knew, but i needed to get actions in fast. So whatever you do, it would be good if its kept to a schedule, so that for instance i know to log in every tues and sat, and that if i don't make it sat, sun is fine.
    My Pre Heresy Iron Hands Plog
    -Last updated 20/6/12- Now on Warseer!


    Quote Originally Posted by PhalanxLord
    Dino-lobsters suffer from instant death against enemies with close combat forks and the "melted butter" special rule.

  4. #4
    Chaplain McLucien18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Black Planet
    Posts
    187

    Re: So what does everyone want?

    Wow, it's been a long time since I was here last!

    More structure is fine by me, and I wouldn't be against two fights per week to keep things moving.

    I'm going to try and keep an eye on things again.

  5. #5

    Re: So what does everyone want?

    Hard to say. One thing that I'd like are different themes for the Ninja Assassin arenas. It would let you do interesting '1 off' things. Example:

    NAAoD: Chaos Champions
    Each character can choose a chaos mark, as per the WoC book, but only WoC characters get eye of the gods. Each round, whichever god gets the most kills, everyone with that mark gets +1 RR. Killing those with your mark counts for it. Special bonuses (such as hatred) for attacking someone marked by an old-school enemy god (Khorne v. Slaanesh, Tzeench v. Nurgle). Oh, and make the Slaanesh mark do something more interesting (+1 attack per wound taken?)

    Then, following that, you go with a mounted arena. This would let you play with the rules abit to make things more interesting.
    * Everyone must be mounted
    * No hiding allowed, but instead you can do a full blown charge. Automatically hit by enemies you have not charged at, as you are aiming for a specific opponent, but all wounds done are at d3 and you automatically go first unless they charge at you as well.
    * Instead of evading, you can 'flee'. Can only defend yourself against attacks, but all attacks against you must re-roll to hit (or must roll to hit if the attacker auto hits)
    * Swipe. ASL, +1 to hit, -1 to wound. If successfully wounds, the foe is knocked off their horse and cannot do anything for the rest of the turn as they re-mount.

    Underground Theme
    * Sight restrictions
    * Psychological tricks
    * Bonuses for skaven/dwarfs/goblins

    ===========

    Basically, stop caring about making sure that everything is perfectly balanced and instead just have fun. Make each AoD something where we wonder what is going to happen next.
    Last edited by grumbaki; 18-03-2012 at 05:52.
    My Battle Reports
    The Power of Ale
    The Campaign for Argalis
    The Order of the Broken Lance
    Clearing the Fiefdom

    Quote Originally Posted by Chem-Dog View Post
    In the grim darkness of the far future, there is no fiscal overview.

  6. #6
    Chaplain McLucien18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Black Planet
    Posts
    187

    Re: So what does everyone want?

    The Chaos theme seems cool, the only thing I'd consider is that the points for attacking enemy god might make it easier for people to predict who might attack. I'd play it though!

  7. #7
    Chapter Master Malorian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Fort McMurray, Alberta
    Posts
    16,863

    Re: So what does everyone want?

    I was hoping to get more replies or people wanting something... anything...
    The only cure known for the dreaded illnes of Ruleslawyeritus is a swift dosage of punchinthefaceicilin. -Tapok
    The 7 Habits of Effective Gamers: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232493
    The ONLY reason i joined this forum was to join Malorians arenas. - teafloy_the_damned
    Join the Arena of Death!: http://www.warseer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25
    Me on Youtube!: http://www.youtube.com/user/MrMalorian?feature=mhum

  8. #8
    Chaplain McLucien18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Black Planet
    Posts
    187

    Re: So what does everyone want?

    Quote Originally Posted by Malorian View Post
    I was hoping to get more replies or people wanting something... anything...
    Me too, I'd love to get back in on this properly :/

  9. #9

    Re: So what does everyone want?

    Well, the thing about the AoD, is that it provided many different things at once. Amazing fluff (your writing was great), suspense (when you knew that you were about to fight, and had the entire week to agonize over it...), and it was interactive for everyone, even if you lost (betting). So after that fire dragon stomped on you, you still got to eagerly watch the fights and collect your gold/zeroes. In short, it was the perfect AOD, in large part thanks to you.

    With NA, the main problem is that once you are dead, you are dead. It takes you out of the arena. That, and because nobody wants to give themselves away, the amount of smack-talk goes down.
    My Battle Reports
    The Power of Ale
    The Campaign for Argalis
    The Order of the Broken Lance
    Clearing the Fiefdom

    Quote Originally Posted by Chem-Dog View Post
    In the grim darkness of the far future, there is no fiscal overview.

  10. #10
    Get custom skink 'ere! MOMUS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Bristol/Weston
    Posts
    3,156

    Re: So what does everyone want?

    Quote Originally Posted by grumbaki View Post
    With NA, the main problem is that once you are dead, you are dead. It takes you out of the arena. That, and because nobody wants to give themselves away, the amount of smack-talk goes down.
    Ahh but my favourite part of NA is the secret sneakiness

    ME: Would you like a bloodpact Grum? You smash that naughty orc
    GRUM: Why yes i would! Good idea.
    ME: Thanks, i will help you laterz
    GRUM: You are such a nice chap
    Me: I know, now go smash that orc please

    ME: Would you like a bloodpact w3rm?
    W3RM: Yes i would!
    ME: Ok, you go destroy that pesky dwarf
    W3RM: Good idea! What are you going to do?
    ME: Im....healing
    W3RM: You are such an upstanding member of this forum
    ME: Thanks, I do try

    Quote Originally Posted by Doi View Post
    Knowing MOMUS I would guess something dirty and/or depraved.
    Or conning you into making a giant-sized Slann.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Inquisitor View Post
    That was pretty epic, MOMUS.

  11. #11
    Chapter Master Malorian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Fort McMurray, Alberta
    Posts
    16,863

    Re: So what does everyone want?

    Quote Originally Posted by grumbaki View Post
    Amazing fluff (your writing was great), suspense (when you knew that you were about to fight, and had the entire week to agonize over it...), and it was interactive for everyone, even if you lost (betting). So after that fire dragon stomped on you, you still got to eagerly watch the fights and collect your gold/zeroes. In short, it was the perfect AOD, in large part thanks to you.
    That's kind of what I was worried about.

    It seems that when AoD was the most suscessful was when the fight was just an excuse for the story.

    NA has been a big disappointment to me in that, although those taking part are having a ton of fun, it hasn't seen an increase in popularity other than a handful of people.


    I'm wondering if the tunnel entrance needs to be uncovered, or if it all should be left to rest in peace...
    The only cure known for the dreaded illnes of Ruleslawyeritus is a swift dosage of punchinthefaceicilin. -Tapok
    The 7 Habits of Effective Gamers: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232493
    The ONLY reason i joined this forum was to join Malorians arenas. - teafloy_the_damned
    Join the Arena of Death!: http://www.warseer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25
    Me on Youtube!: http://www.youtube.com/user/MrMalorian?feature=mhum

  12. #12

    Re: So what does everyone want?

    Aye. Lord Lusuir/Fubar of Thrace and Henri le Sanglec were two of my favorite characters. Watching them evolve under your storytelling, and hoping each week that they don't bite the dust was riveting. No other arena (and to be honest, few WFRP adventures) have ever made me feel that way. For me at least, that was a huge draw to the arenas.

    As for reviving the AOD, I wouldn't say no (you know I never would), but it is a big commitment, especially as they were pretty legendary. I'll leave it at that.
    My Battle Reports
    The Power of Ale
    The Campaign for Argalis
    The Order of the Broken Lance
    Clearing the Fiefdom

    Quote Originally Posted by Chem-Dog View Post
    In the grim darkness of the far future, there is no fiscal overview.

  13. #13

    Re: So what does everyone want?

    I suppose this is my time to talk
    the reason for me not taking as much time for AOD is time, however once my exams are over in a month, if there are still people about I may run a long walk north/TMCFOC arena
    Quote Originally Posted by Walgis View Post
    maybe giant has something magical in his pants? :S

  14. #14
    Chaplain Lord Nestron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    the Great planes of nothern Europe
    Posts
    180

    Re: So what does everyone want?

    so I know i have been absend but because i finished uni and got a job my life is a bit chaotic atm and i have just generally taken a break from wh40k so I will rejoin soon but i would like an arena that isn`t to high effort (so i won`t partake in such arenas as assasines) If u ask me what i would like would be Double Team and The Fields of Blood they where my favorite by far so i never managed to win a Malorian Double Event
    THe World of Warhammer 40k is NEo-Keynesisms Wet Dream

  15. #15
    Chapter Master Leogun_91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Gothenburg
    Posts
    4,122

    Re: So what does everyone want?

    I guess I want good story. The rest too but mainly good story.
    There aint nowt a cannon can do that a determined dwarf with a hammer can´t achive.-Old Redmane

    Visit my dwarfs at http://kazad-grund.webs.com/

    Quote Originally Posted by Belakor View Post
    You folks keep telling everyone how awesome Mantic is because of what you get for a dollar, and I say you are still getting ripped off.

  16. #16
    Librarian Peregijn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    375

    Re: So what does everyone want?

    if the assesin tournament could be held ad a faster pace, like 2 times each week instead of 1 it could help in getting more attenion, and keep new people interested in the game.
    + if it runs faster you dont have to wait 6/7 weeks before you can enter again.

    what i dont like about the assesin arena is the fast re-play rule. because the players are coming from difernt time zones some of will never be able to be the first one entering an action.

    i do like to write my own actions in the arena so that can stay.
    personaly i liked the dual arena's more. because of the betting game, even if you lost your team you where still participating in the tournament.
    Quote Originally Posted by skullkandy View Post
    words are just arrangment of sounds as a conduit to convey an abstract thought from one mind to another. So if you make a sound or write a series of symbols and the other minds hearing or viewing it recieve the intended concept then the purpose of the word has been achieved. Therefore if you say it and everyone knows what it means it's a word. Hence why spelling is pointless. Either that or this is my way overthought excuse for being horrid at spelling.
    WoC, last updated: a long time ago

  17. #17

    Re: So what does everyone want?

    I just read the writeups for the last three AODs. Damn I miss those...
    My Battle Reports
    The Power of Ale
    The Campaign for Argalis
    The Order of the Broken Lance
    Clearing the Fiefdom

    Quote Originally Posted by Chem-Dog View Post
    In the grim darkness of the far future, there is no fiscal overview.

  18. #18
    Librarian Peregijn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    375

    Re: So what does everyone want?

    mabey we should mor activly try to get new blood in the group, maybe an advertisment in the general forum erea? areana of death part of the forem is way down the bottum. not every one is going to see.
    i only came down here because i saw a friend of mine (warlockOmork) play the doubles ad her place. it looked like fun. only reason to join warseer was to participate here
    Quote Originally Posted by skullkandy View Post
    words are just arrangment of sounds as a conduit to convey an abstract thought from one mind to another. So if you make a sound or write a series of symbols and the other minds hearing or viewing it recieve the intended concept then the purpose of the word has been achieved. Therefore if you say it and everyone knows what it means it's a word. Hence why spelling is pointless. Either that or this is my way overthought excuse for being horrid at spelling.
    WoC, last updated: a long time ago

  19. #19
    Get custom skink 'ere! MOMUS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Bristol/Weston
    Posts
    3,156

    Re: So what does everyone want?

    Hmmm yes i agree, .
    Last edited by MOMUS; 02-04-2012 at 06:49.

    Quote Originally Posted by Doi View Post
    Knowing MOMUS I would guess something dirty and/or depraved.
    Or conning you into making a giant-sized Slann.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Inquisitor View Post
    That was pretty epic, MOMUS.

  20. #20
    Commander jamesterjlrb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Behind you
    Posts
    707

    Re: So what does everyone want?

    Slightly OT but related to the future of AOD, can we request some of the out of date stickies get binned?
    My Pre Heresy Iron Hands Plog
    -Last updated 20/6/12- Now on Warseer!


    Quote Originally Posted by PhalanxLord
    Dino-lobsters suffer from instant death against enemies with close combat forks and the "melted butter" special rule.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •