Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: My hands, they too are golden (PH Word Bearers)

My hands, they too are golden (PH Word Bearers + Custodians)

Hello everybody, thanks for checking out this painting log

The Project

As you probably have figured out by now, I’m doing a Word Bearers army. As is often the case, I will be using the term “pre-heresy” somewhat loosely to describe the army. While my force will be in loyalist colors and will feature (with a couple of obvious exceptions) the loyalist units, anyone who has read ADB’s The First Heretic knows that the seeds of the rebellion were planted decades before Istvaan.

When it comes to my growing addiction to Forgeworld Space Marines, I blame it all on the Horus Heresy novels. Pretty much every time I read a book I say to myself, “Damn, I should totally do this army next!” By the time I read The First Heretic, I actually decided to follow through. All along I hated the Word Bearers, so imagine my surprise when ADB writes a book so damn interesting that I start to fall in love with the primarch and his hubris. Argel Tal and the Ocularis Imperator made for an interesting arc as well, and of course it provides a welcome challenge for any hobbyist – finding a way to convert the Adeptus Custodes.

More than anything, this army is an excuse to buy shiny resin models and try out some new painting techniques (including learning how to use my airbrush on infantry sized models). I’m a hobby first kind of guy, which means that I am more interested in putting models in my display cabinet and occasionally rolling some dice than crushing face. This will be reflected in the fairly haphazard list, which features more or less 1-2 each of all the things I feel like painting.

The List

I will mostly be basing this off the standard Marine codex, simply because it provides the most options. Once in a while I'll use another codex if I want to throw in a unit that doesn't fit well in the vanilla book. Custodes, for example, work well as Lone Wolves. They are brilliant individual fighters, as opposed to a unit or independent character that would join squads. And as the Heresy nears, the babysitters aren't terribly welcome among the ranks of the Word Bearers. Seems about right for Lone Wolves that are designed to get themselves killed...

The list may help or hinder me in games, but whatever. Not the point. More than anything, this is a shopping list

HQ:
    The Aurelian - Lorgar (most likely converted from Helldorado’s Augustinus Raimond)
    Erebus (Emperor damn his bones)
    Kor Phaeron (his, too)
    Argel Tal
    Random Thousand Sons Sorcerer (can’t say no to the Sevrin Loth kit)
    Master of the Forge w/ C-beamer (Rapier laser destroyer conversion)

Elites:
    8x Thousand Sons Sternguard (various powers = ammo types)
    Contemptor Dreadnought (purchased Assault cannon and one each of the CCW arms)
    Probably Terminators eventually
    5x Gal Vorbak (by far the most Chaosy stuff in the list… will bust them out once in a while for variety using Death Company rules, probably)
    3x Adeptus Custodes (Lone Wolves rules?)

Troops:
    2x10 Tactical Squads
    Probably 1 Deimos Rhino
    10x Sniper Scouts (have the models, so why not!)

Heavy Support:
    6x Devastators with Rocket Launchers
    Probably a Deimos Predator
    Armored Land Raider Proteus (likely with Redeemer weapons)

Estimated cost of this project: Eleventy Billion Dollars

So that’s the long-term plan. Lorgar spent about 40 years building his Legion in anticipation of the Heresy, I figure I can probably keep a similar timeline without too much pressure

Honor Roll (Inspiration from other army projects)

As I get off my butt and start keeping track of these things, I will give a shout out to the painters whose projects have inspired me to keep working. I’m terrible at following through with armies, each new release gives me shiny things to lust after, but seeing so many of the kickass army logs (including many pre/post Heresy era armies) really gets me excited to have some Word Bearers to put on the battlefield.

DPA's Big Pre Heresy Log of Everything! - Great blog with lots of inspiring projects, including Adeptus Custodes.
    Last edited by Jericho; 03-05-2012 at 18:26.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Zoidberg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Necr0n View Post
    So can Allies Of Convinience score?
    Only if dinner and the movie were both of a high quality...

Re: My hands, they too are golden (PH Word Bearers)

Army Progress

Adeptus Custodes
    2x Custodians, ~95% painted each

Thousand Sons Sternguard
    1x Sternguard fully painted (except for left shoulder pad)

Contemptor Dreadnought
    Purchased with power fist, power claw and Kheres pattern assault cannon arms

Tactical Squad 1
    10x Tacticals purchased, 2x Tacticals 95% painted (including plasma cannon trooper), 3x Tacticals assembled

Tactical Squad 2
    4x Tacticals purchased, Sergeant with powerfist and combi-melta converted and assembled

Group Shot of Current Progress

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WB Color Test 2.JPG 
Views:	8573 
Size:	122.9 KB 
ID:	139454

Photo Updated ~May 1, 2012
    Last edited by Jericho; 12-05-2012 at 05:16.

Brother Sergeant jonthebetrayer's Avatar

looking forward to seeing this built and painted, good luck :skull:

True to form, I cut straight to the fun stuff and skip the actual meat of the army.

I saw someone else on here use a basically stock Phoenix Guard model for a Custodian (will give credit once I can find it again, lol) and I just had to steal the idea. However, I didn't stop there. I used my retardiculous collection of bitz to make this guy as complicated and impossible to replicate for the average hobbyist as possible.

The shopping list of parts for a single Custodian:
    1x complete plastic High Elf Phoenix Guard
    1x Forgeworld bolt pistol
    1x Empire Greatsword chest plate and gorget
    1x Ork topknot
    1x Space Marine Terminator Chainfist
    1x Space Marine Terminator Iron Halo
    1x Space Marine power axe (for the generator/power cable only)
    1x set of Space Marine shoulder pads (I'm using MkIII pads on the first two, will use fancy pads from the Sevrin Loth set for Commander I Forget His Name)
    1x Grey Knight in Power Armor Falchion
    Assorted bitz like grenades and whatnot to fill in the waist area

Hey, I never said this was gonna be simple The approximate stages of assembly:

1. The first step is the main body of the Custodian. Trim the neck of the Phoenix Guard back piece, including cutting the front of the collar/neck area flat so the Greatsword chestpiece has a nice contact point to glue to.
    2. Next, modify the chestpiece. This is simple, all you need to do is cut out the underside. The Greatsword waist is flat, while the Phoenix Guard waist is rounded off kinda like the SM plastics. Just trim towards the center of the chest a bit so the legs don't attach funny. Add the gorget when you're done attaching the chestpiece. I set the gorget a little bit higher on the chest than with a typical Greatsword model, just to make the collar extra high to cover the face nicely. Adds some mystery to the model.
    3. Glue on the legs. Nothing special here (thank the Emperor).
    4. Use greenstuff to fill in the gaps on the torso. The back and chest don't line up on the top, so you need to fill all this in. Just make it smooth, you won't really see any of this after the fact (I included a picture of a Custodian without shoulder pads so you can see what I mean here).
    5. Cut the top of the Phoenix Guard halberd off right after the fancy bit with the gems. Assemble the arms as per a normal Phoenix Guard.
    6. With the help of some blu-tac or similar material, mock up where the head and shoulders will fit. On most of the Phoenix Guard torsos you'll make to do some minor trimming to the top corners of the cloak to accomodate the bigass Marine shoulder pads. Not too tricky, just don't get overzealous and cut off too much material at once! It's easier to slowly cut away more and more until it's right than sculpt it all back afterwards. Don't glue on the shoulder pads until you have attached the head.
    7. Cut the wings off the Phoenix Guard helmet (if you don't like them, that is) and add an Ork topknot. Glue down head. Add some really quick and dirty hair to the gap between helmet and his back. Doesn't have to be pretty as you can't really see this after it's assembled. Mostly just a gap-filling measure and an excuse to practise sculpting ponytails Once the head is glued, you can glue down the shoulder pads in their final position from the previous step.
    8. Next, remove the "engine" looking bit from a chainfist. For me this involves a lot of crude clipping, followed by a few minutes of precise trimming with a scalpel. You want the power cable to stay attached, but the chainblade can be cut flat. This piece is glued onto the back of the Custodian, as they don't really use backpacks, but you need something to make them look "40k-ish" from behind, and they give you somewhere to glue on an Iron Halo. The only mods to the Iron Halo is to cut the square base down to be circular, then glue it onto the top of the chainfist.
      Note: you want the top of the chainfist engine/bottom of the Iron Halo to line up with the base of his neck.
    9. Once everything else is mostly done, I start to fuss around with the halberd top. Cut the blade off of a GK falchion, and trim the little notch out of the base of the blade to match the pictures. This tiny little detail really makes the bayonet style spear tip seem to fit properly on the bolt pistol. Glue the spike off the back of your discarded halberd onto the top of the bolt pistol, above the shell ejection port.
    10. Note: Possibly the most fiddly bit of the whole damn process, the power generator thingy on the spear. I simply can't make one of these without breaking the cable, dropping it on the carpet, and usually cutting myself somewhere during the process.
      Start by cutting away at the plastic power axe. Be careful not to snap the power cable in the process, I suggest cutting the loose end of the power cable off of the back of the power axe first, before chopping away at the blade. Once it's carefully trimmed, you want to super carefully bend the cable a tiny bit (this is where it usually breaks unless you soak the bit in hot water and pray first) so it connects to the back of the bolt pistol. You will likely need a tiny bit of greenstuff to hide this joint, as it will almost never fit perfectly.
    11. The final step is to add grenades, pouches, sword scabbards, etc. to the belt of the Custodian to bulk him out a little bit and hide the gap between the legs and the almost-but-not-quite-perfectly fitting Greatsword chest. The not quite finished Custodian looks a little bit awkward with nothing on his belt. I left it this way so you can see how much a simple grenade can add to the model!

So, after these 11 simple steps (OK now I'm a liar) and a couple hours of your life that you'll never get back, you should (hopefully) have something that looks like one of these guys below.

Name:	CustodesFronts.jpg 
Views:	1232 
Size:	75.4 KB 
ID:	136739Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CustodesBacks.jpg 
Views:	839 
Size:	76.7 KB 
ID:	136738Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CustodesSpear.jpg 
Views:	603 
Size:	70.7 KB 
ID:	136741Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NoPads1.jpg 
Views:	775 
Size:	70.7 KB 
ID:	136742Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NoPads2.jpg 
Views:	532 
Size:	73.4 KB 
ID:	136743Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CustodesScaleRef.jpg 
Views:	1973 
Size:	75.2 KB 
ID:	136740

As you can see, they seem to do the trick. They are slightly taller to the eyes than a Space Marine. The helmet obviously adds tons of extra height, and the shoulder pads tend to sit a bit higher as well since they are going on top of the existing armor, shoulders, cloak, etc. This is all well and good, because the models do appear a bit skinnier and less bulky than a basic Marine. These Custodes look lean, ornate and deadly -- as they should.
    Last edited by Jericho; 31-03-2012 at 07:57.

That's a really clever use of bits, and the end result is lovely, definitely my favourite Custodes conversion, and as you say nice and sleak.

The closest Custodes kits I have seen that i liked were the Scibor ones, but they are still too bulky so I think yours look better. I may have to pinch this idea at a later date if that's ok?

I like those custodes, very clever.
    RSPCA - Royal Society for the Preservation of Craftworld Avatars. Put a stop to Avatar abuse. Full stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Fortheempire View Post
    Plus what could Lorgar possibly be meditating on for 9-10 thousand years? Was he producing Guns N Roses last album?

By all means! That's why I post the steps

I'm not see what I'll do for #3, but as I'll need parts that I haven't even ordered yet, it will have to wait a while.

Speaking of waiting... Ordered a bunch of this a while back from Chessex. 24 in gold/white, 6 in red and black w/ gold pips and logo, 6 in black and white w/ red pips and logo. Should be here any day now...

Name:	ChessexProofs.jpg 
Views:	995 
Size:	72.6 KB 
ID:	136775
    Last edited by Jericho; 31-03-2012 at 18:16.

Brother Sergeant jonthebetrayer's Avatar

The custodes look fantastic, looking forward to seeing them with a bit of a paint job. Keep up the great work :skull:

Custodes, I think, are more difficult than it might seem at first. A lot of custodes attempts tend to ignore how the artwork depicts their lower half and just default to marine legs. Nevertheless, you've managed to closely capture custodes with the longer robed gear. I'm still searching for something suitable for the bare armour legs. DE kabalite legs seem closest, but they still ain't quite there.
    RSPCA - Royal Society for the Preservation of Craftworld Avatars. Put a stop to Avatar abuse. Full stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Fortheempire View Post
    Plus what could Lorgar possibly be meditating on for 9-10 thousand years? Was he producing Guns N Roses last album?

Agreed with Baphomael, those Custodes conversions are brilliant.
    The Emperor upholds a teleological scheme for the future of man, unifying and perfecting humanity through the intense application of martial violence, and I will endeavour to uphold it.

Aha, found it! DPA is the guy whose Custodes idea I started from. Adding link to the Honor Roll on the original post

Been slapping a bit of paint around the last couple evenings, trying out a couple of the new paints as well. From what I have seen (mostly the brass colors) they are really smooth, thin well and retain their strong pigmentation. If the rest of the colors are as slick as the metallics, I'll be very impressed. Even the "Base" paints, which I think we all assumed would be like the previous generation Foundation paints seem to be very similar in texture/feel to the regular paints. They aren't as "sticky" or quick to dry as the Foundations at any rate.

I'll see about posting some pics when I get back home tonight and return to the painting table. The two Custodians have their armor almost finished in a two tone copper and gold theme. Lots of red left to paint and then a few details, really. As complicated as those models are, their really basic color scheme makes them fairly simple to paint. Just a warning: The guardian spears might not be fully painted for a while, as I think I'll be airbrushing all the power blades on the army and haven't quite figured out what colors I want to do them in just yet. Don't want to jump the gun

Name:	IMG_0876.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	362.2 KB 
ID:	137900Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0877.jpg 
Views:	305 
Size:	340.2 KB 
ID:	137901

It starts like this.

Name:	IMG_0878.jpg 
Views:	539 
Size:	296.5 KB 
ID:	137902Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0879.jpg 
Views:	337 
Size:	282.3 KB 
ID:	137903Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0883.jpg 
Views:	317 
Size:	272.6 KB 
ID:	137904Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0884.jpg 
Views:	645 
Size:	277.5 KB 
ID:	137905

And after a few hours of work ends up more like this. Still a decent amount of work to do. Cloaks will be a dark leathery red, while the plumes will get the more rich and vibrant red/orange hilights you are probably expecting. Spears need a lot of love, plus the thin black trim around the splint/scale mail needs its hilights.

Also, better pics will of course follow when the paintjobs are done. Right now they are way too dark Assuming I'm not just super hung over on Sunday, I might get some good painting in then to finish these guys up. Fingers crossed!

Proper pics this time!

Mostly done the first of the Custodians. The second one is 95% as far as him, just doesn't have the flames done beyond basecoat/wash. Not sure I like the "hot rod flames" even though I spend a whole ~30 seconds searching for reference photos before I just sat down and painted that style of flames for the first time. Maybe I should have planned ahead a little better

Name:	photo 1.JPG 
Views:	885 
Size:	174.7 KB 
ID:	138431Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 2.JPG 
Views:	555 
Size:	200.1 KB 
ID:	138432Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 3.JPG 
Views:	392 
Size:	193.5 KB 
ID:	138430

Now... I'm stuck. I can't figure out what to do about the layer of robes in between the main cloak and the mail skirt. I have busted out the big guns on this one, sending a desperate email to a multiple golden demon winner from across the pond that I've had some good discussions with in the past regarding contest/Golden Demon entries. We'll see what he says

The spear will be mostly metallics to match the artwork. Silver, brass, bit of gold trim and a black shaft. Nothing too fancy, don't want to distract from the armor and whatnot.

Side note: First batch of Micro Art Studio bases are in the mail! Custom Chessex dice arrived at my friend's house! Not a bad week.

Name:	Custodian1-1.jpg 
Views:	826 
Size:	116.3 KB 
ID:	138747Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Custodian1-2.jpg 
Views:	2307 
Size:	101.4 KB 
ID:	138748Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Custodian1-3.jpg 
Views:	337 
Size:	117.9 KB 
ID:	138749Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Custodian1-4.jpg 
Views:	1032 
Size:	103.1 KB 
ID:	138750
    Come on guys, some comments would be nice! I'm a slow painter and I need all the encouragement I can get

A tiny bit of work to do still (blade and face) but I'm pretty darn happy with how he turned out in the end. I have no idea if I'll be able to get any paint into the face area without messing up the helm and collar but I think it's necessary. Don't expect much in the way of hilights or anything!

Name:	Dice.JPG 
Views:	524 
Size:	81.1 KB 
ID:	138751
    The dice turned out nice, the golden ones and some Gal Vorbak inspired accent colors.

Lovely work - the gold has such a depth to it and the antique feel really works for the Custodes. The reds are also very nicely done. Consider me subscribed!!
    I am the monkey and I can go anywhere :chrome:

View my Blood Angel and Imperial Guard project log - http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228657

Thanks, glad you like him

As an update, I primed, based and airbrushed the first two Word Bearers last night; a MkIV with bolter and another MkIV with plasma cannon. This was the first time using my airbrush in probably a year, and I made the mistake of assuming it was properly cleaned the last time I used it. I don't have a clue what I was working on, but the needle was positively coated in crusty dark purple paint, and once that was cleaned I was still having clogging issues due to the nozzle thingy that the needle pokes out of having a little speck of paint dried on one side of it. Once in a while, the airbrush would just randomly start spraying paint sideways or clog and send paint spattering out of the cup lid

Anyway right before I finished, I cranked the PSI to the moon and blasted most of the crap out of the nozzle, so the last little bit went smoothly and I think I will be able to handle this process for the army. Spray paint, airbrush, a couple washes in between and I think you have a really damn good place to start on a mini with minimal time investment. Before long you're picking out details and worrying about weathering.

Assuming work doesn't kill me before the weekend, I hope I'll be able to finish up as many Word Bearers as I have bases at the moment. Hoorays

Chapter Master

Wow, looking good so far!

The elf bodies do interesting (good) things for the size and proportions of the model.
    Quote Originally Posted by Herzlos View Post
    If the Catachan Arm Monster became codex legal I'd have a full army
    This would be a Plog if I weren't so lazy. (Updated September 2, 2013)

Librarian

Really like the painting. Looking forward to seeing some WBs.

Ugh not enjoying Friday thus far. The rare weekday hangover has made an appearance and is making life suck.

Anyway, looking forward to painting more WB's and sharing this weekend. Painting is something I can do without really moving or expending energy

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast