Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Tale Of Skirmish Painters season 2 - April WIP

Chapter Master

Re: Tale Of Skirmish Painters season 2 - April WIP

The nomad is pretty much except the shield. I need to decide on an icon to paint on it. Going to have a look around and see if I find one to use. Suggestions would be welcome.

Epic Grissel is done. Getting more supplies from Salute and started converting a new character for Inq28 which I may paint. More pictures over in my plogs.

Librarian

@EmperorNorton.. nice models there.. really like the style.. nice bases also.. the cobblestone/sewer grate especially is interesting..

@Keravin.. nice jack there.. no idea for Icons, as I don't play warmachine, but am sure a glyph could work? Also the troll blood is a great model.. if I were to play that would be the faction I would pick..

For me, I did get some painting over the weekend done. In between my other projects, I finished up the Infinity Model Interventor Hacker II. He was about 60% finished, but I didn't like how the greys and his hair were turning out, so redid them.

I have the resin bases now, and except for the receiving a 60mm instead of 50mm for the TAG, I have all I need for the coming weeks/months ahead. Still not sure what to touch next, but am hoping to get a bunch of Nomads finished up for this tale.

PICs below..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1385.JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	106.7 KB 
ID:	138196 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1386.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	106.2 KB 
ID:	138197

No more from me this month however as I need to focus on my guys for a local convention this weekend, and then a 20mm commission that I still haven't finished.

Cheers

Veteran Sergeant

After working on my first Night goblin (my first independently done miniature!), and taking pictures and then coming on here. I cannot believe how good a quality camera's you guys have and how blurry mine are!

I had some work to do to remove some awful mould lines but I'm not happy how battered the shield looks but maybe I'm being picky.

Pleased with the coloring and doing the belt was not easy.

I am satisfied with what I've done though and pleased. Welcome your criticism though took me about an hour to do overall.

Anyway here it is.

Name:	415548_10150808361494108_573089107_11503998_444591693_o.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	213.1 KB 
ID:	138198Click image for larger version. 

Name:	459048_10150808359004108_573089107_11503976_181868629_o.jpg 
Size:	405.0 KB 
ID:	138199Click image for larger version. 

Name:	473045_10150808370844108_573089107_11504047_754056503_o.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	246.7 KB 
ID:	138200Click image for larger version. 

Name:	479295_10150809518694108_573089107_11509275_1971334284_o.jpg 
Size:	328.6 KB 
ID:	138201Click image for larger version. 

Name:	559414_10150808373469108_573089107_11504053_318954717_a.jpg 
Size:	4.4 KB 
ID:	138202

Chapter Master Whitwort Stormbringer's Avatar

He looks pretty solid for a first figure! 2nd and 4th images definitely show up the best.

Regarding taking photos - you don't need a good camera so much as just knowing how to photograph minis. I typically try to avoid natural sunlight and instead get plenty of light from reading lamps on the figure, shining from at least a few angles to minimize shadows. Set up a neutral background (I shoot on a white bookshelf with a white book behind, others get more sophisticated). Shoot from at least a foot away so your camera focuses properly, and use the zoom function to get in closer. I also use the close-up setting, usually indicated on a camera by a little tulip. Then snap a couple shots and post the best one.
    The great thing about the dwarves is that, even though there's this comic element, when they fight - they really fight!

My infrequently updated nerd blog.

here is the stuff I have planned to paint by the end of the tale

first my Lady J gang

Name:	pete019.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	138257

and here is some of my Nicodem gang, the original Nicodem is soon to be replaced by the alternate

Name:	pete024.jpg 
Size:	44.7 KB 
ID:	138258

@Foxtrick; what whitwort said.

I also recommend This link for some basics. You don't have to go advanced, just set your camera to Macro mode (the flower symbol, as whitwort noted). Use some decent desk lamps (more than 1 to help eliminate shadows) and maybe some back-lighting (Like a lamp pointed at the wall away from the mini) to just give some ambient light.

That said, I'm really impressed with that paint job. you wouldn't wanna see my first models!

It all becomes easier the more you do it. These forums give great pointers and there's plenty of how-to's on how people go certain effects.

Washes and drybrushing are the two basics that with some practice can give that bump to detail, without the hours of labour. It's essentially how I'm painting my skaven (with special models getting more detail).
    Last edited by Kisanis; 17-04-2012 at 03:03.
    Molovian Guard (2,500 -ish Imperial Guard) (In all manner of shambles)
    Wuzza's Whirlin' Wheelerz (In progress 2k SpeedFreeks)
    The Horde of the Horned one (3k Skaven)
    Check out my Painting Blog! Comments/Criticism welcome! Currently featuring Orks and Skaven!
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
    In other words as a rock player I find that changes to scissors are fair, balanced and reasonable but that paper has been made too strong in this edition and should be nerfed.

Chapter Master Whitwort Stormbringer's Avatar

Soooooo another painting project has kind of fallen into my lap, and needs to be finished by the end of May. That means I'll be shirking some responsibilities and reducing my goal for this month to just the one Quar caerten, but the upside is that the new project definitely falls into the category of skirmish gaming so I should have something pretty cool to show off at the end of May to make up for it.

Fubarnii and gladiators should get their due attention in later months of the tale.
    The great thing about the dwarves is that, even though there's this comic element, when they fight - they really fight!

My infrequently updated nerd blog.

@Foxtrick - aaagh Night Goblins, those buggers give me nightmares still, i can remember painting up 4 starter boxes worth of them when they re released warhammer with minis in the box ! looks good, ive always found Night Goblins really characterful minis

@Keravin - isnt the Nomad a merc jack ? if it is, why not paint the shield as a captured trophy, maybe a battered Cygnar symbol on it ?
    Bushido project log
    My Blog

Chapter Master

@Grisnik - trolls are fantastic fun. Nice vivid colours on the Hacker.

@Foxtrick - I agree with Whitworth. 2nd and 4th are your best pictures. White background will help with focussing.

@Bubbatron - I might do as Nomad used to be a Cygnar jack.

I was at Salute this weekend so picked up new toys.

Got the FW cyberhound to work on as one of the first models as I need to have the three figures on my desk for Inq28 finished before 10th June.

I read my own thread and was amazed at the amount of painted models for this year. It seems that I doubled my heap with this months models for the Tale of Skirmish Game Painters so far done. The shame .
    To remedy this at once I started the next models for that tale and hope to finish them in time for this month as well. A Death kiwi from Warploque miniatures and two Vstonin:

By the way, WarplockMonkey has a new "cast em up project" with Halflings. Pre-Order some if you like them and want to support a young company.
    Last edited by Little Joe; 23-04-2012 at 20:54.
    my general project thread

[2014] painted: 21, added to my collection: 84

Here is a WIP pic for one of my Haqqislam Infinity minis : A Naffatūn with Light Flamethrower from the starter box. The lightning is awful and is eating all my highlights, but I'll take a better pic when it's completely finished.

Loving the work so far guys and gals.

Have been skulking a bit this month as have been busy doing the whole new born thing but I have managed to paint up some objectives for my Dark Eldar Kill Team; they are nearly done so not much point in posting WIP pics now. I have also been putting together my Enuk Knights and a Pree Pree for the World of Twilight as well as Galan Quaterbane from Warploque.

I should hopefully be painting these chaps next month.

I popped to Salute and managed to grab a fair few bits, a sizeable Dhogu force for World of Twilight as well as some more bits for my Fire Fight forces. I also got some other figs to paint up a Bushido Dragon for our new son and a MicroArt Death for the wife. Hopefully these will get painted up over the coming months.

HN
    My Pulp Sci-Fi Plog: War Rocket & Retro Raygun

My Game Board & Terrain Plog: 3 Feet of Gaming

My Rogue Trader Inspired Space Wolves: The Wolftime

Here is a WIP picture of my Warploque Miniatures Death Kiwi:

I redid the base a bit, because it will join the Bayourks faction now. So it will need a bit of swamp on there.
    The painting started with some colour, then I went grey to bind it all together. Now I will start to pull those colours apart again with a few layers or drybrushes in some colours. At first I wanted a bright birdy, but now I think I will go for the real "kiwi" look, which is brown and greys. By starting with colours I will have some yellow, red and blue in there as well.

I made this picture to show it always looks pretty bad halfway through, but after adding many layers of different and very thin colours it will look great in the end. And very natural, which s kinda important on just a birdy (with a vicious beak and talons).
    my general project thread

[2014] painted: 21, added to my collection: 84

Absolutely excellent work so far everyone, great to see you all being active. Sorry for being a rather long absence - lots of long hours at work have put me on a bit of a hiatus plus I've been pumping a fair bit of time into a nice little secret project.

Kudos to everyone for keeping things chugging along though! The thread for your completed work will go up tomorrow night
    [Gomez and Jihad shoot some Zeds] [The Addams go to Malifaux]
    Quote Originally Posted by mdiscala referring to my Lady J
    Well I'm off to cruise bars for goth chicks.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4