Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is it worth starting a Bretonnian Army?

Is it worth starting a Bretonnian Army?

Currently I have an OK army but it just doesn't do it for me, although the fact it has recently had an update does make it very tempting to stay with them.

The thing is I love the idea of a Bretonnian army, the thought of the multi-coloured heraldrys is a challenge for my painting that I would relish. On the other hand its one of the oldest Fantasy books without an update and im worried that I invest time and money into them only to see an update come along with a full new range that nullifies all that work.

My question to you as Ive already posed in the title, is it worth it? Will the army be competitive should I choose to go to tournaments?

Thanks in advance for any opinions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Son of Morkai
    My Space Wolves would wander off, get drunk, and never be heard from again.
    Fear does not control you, you control it.

Re: Is it worth starting a Bretonnian Army?

Are you looking for an uber powered army? If so, don't choose Bretonnia. Though it appears for now the era of the over powered in your grille army is in the past so any new books coming out will not be over powered if they stick to the same design philosophy.

Can Bretonnia be competitive? Absolutely.

Banned

I find that my Brets tend to win more than the rest of my armies, so yes, you can be competative.

5-rank trains, dual trebuchet and plenty of flaming peasant bowmen will do well for you. Competativness, unlike Wood Elves, is something that Brettonians can do comparitavly well with an old book.

I also think that, the majority of the things that you would put in a competative Brettonian army will definatly remain in any new book, so there is no need to be cautious.

And, a Brettonian army book is a LONG way off apparently. 2014 w/ best estimates. So, caution about frictional changes with a new book is unnecassary IMO.

thesheriff
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Inquisitor View Post
    I'm Sigmar and so's my wife!
    Quote Originally Posted by LanceSaba View Post
    as a slight bump and through much respect. thesheriff is the law around here when it come to WoC.
    ┏(-_- )┛┗( -_-)┓┗(-_-)┛┏(-_-)┓

Brettonians aren't the most competitive no, but they're still more than capable of winning battles if you play them well.
    In terms of a new book coming out, it'll be at least a year, maybe 2 so I wouldn't worry about that. And if they replace the current models with better ones then you can keep yours as 'vintage models' and impress all your friends with them . Meanwhile if the new models are horrible, you wont be forced to buy them because you'll already have the older, better versions.
    Quote Originally Posted by nagash66 View Post
    The Empire doesn't take you seriously unless you have sacked Nuln.

Banned

I'll tell you what mate; the fact that you've gotten 100% positive replies on Warseer of all places is as sure a sign as any that you should start the army.

Quote Originally Posted by GodlessM View Post
    I'll tell you what mate; the fact that you've gotten 100% positive replies on Warseer of all places is as sure a sign as any that you should start the army.
    Truer words have never been spoken.

I appreciate all the input. Looks like there will be an OK in the for sale section shortly!
    Quote Originally Posted by Son of Morkai
    My Space Wolves would wander off, get drunk, and never be heard from again.
    Fear does not control you, you control it.

The only units in danger of being revamped are the metal ones. The trend these days is to create new units to add to existing armies, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Steer clear of the Grail Knight models and you should be fine.

Brother Sergeant

i picked up a box of bowmen and a box of knights after a few years away from the hobby a couple of years ago, and theyre just not that fun to paint, challenging maybe, but unless your into medieval history which im not really, when I picked the models up to paint them they didnt really hold my attention and I just sold em. Just picked up 6 demigryph knights and a coolminiornot griffin commander from my local games store and I cant wait to try my hand at some unique and well sculpted, versatile miniatures. Empire for my vote.

Huddersfield, West Yorkshire, UK ( Land of sheep and cheap ale )

A very fun army to see painted and to play against, its nice to see so much cavalry on an 8th ed gaming tablets.
    I sold my soul for plastic playthings and six sided sirens.

Go with them straight ahead. They are good crushers in a can. It's one of my long time fav's and funny thing despite their rulebook is from 6th ed. they are very, very good with 8th.ed rules.
    Finecast is like a watch from Armani - very expensive and waterproof.
    Quote Originally Posted by RanaldLoec View Post
    People may not be taking flagellants but there's a load of people acting like them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Confessor_Atol View Post
    And thus ends another episode of Whineseer-panty-twist theater. Join us next time when we overreact to a roumor about another new unit who's unknown rules will cause us to poo our pants once again.
    Kaiserfaust!!! little plog of mine - http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...e-clad-in-Iron

Brets can do well if you're starting from scratch.
    Most competitive lists tend to look similar (2 trebuchets, 2-3 knight units, archers to round it out)

Most all of the basics will still be there when the new book eventually comes out.

Playing is challenging, but not pointless. Just plan accordingly and expect little variation between your list and the next bret player you see.

That said, they're wonderful to paint and have a great set of models!

(My list was just too dated, and I decided to start another army instead of waiting on a new AB)
    Molovian Guard (2,500 -ish Imperial Guard) (In all manner of shambles)
    Wuzza's Whirlin' Wheelerz (In progress 2k SpeedFreeks)
    The Horde of the Horned one (3k Skaven)
    Check out my Painting Blog! Comments/Criticism welcome! Currently featuring Orks and Skaven!
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
    In other words as a rock player I find that changes to scissors are fair, balanced and reasonable but that paper has been made too strong in this edition and should be nerfed.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kisanis View Post
    Brets can do well if you're starting from scratch.
    Most competitive lists tend to look similar (2 trebuchets, 2-3 knight units, archers to round it out)

Most all of the basics will still be there when the new book eventually comes out.

Playing is challenging, but not pointless. Just plan accordingly and expect little variation between your list and the next bret player you see.

That said, they're wonderful to paint and have a great set of models!

(My list was just too dated, and I decided to start another army instead of waiting on a new AB)
    After playing the same lists for about 7 years I have also moved on to another army. Its sad because I really like my brets but old and tired is old and tired.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Ramulots View Post
    After playing the same lists for about 7 years I have also moved on to another army. Its sad because I really like my brets but old and tired is old and tired.
    So you play with the same list for seven years and for games in 7th AND 8th edition? Well, I think that failure is not in the army .

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rolo Ramone View Post
    So you play with the same list for seven years and for games in 7th AND 8th edition? Well, I think that failure is not in the army .
    Actually 6th, 7th, and 8th. Unless somehow new units have sprung up over the last few years it would be hard to come up with a new list.

I think we have a disagreement in a definition.

I think Ramulots and I came to the same end result...

The cost of 'fixing' our brets to get the variability and enjoyment out of them was not worth the benefit gained.
    A better investment was a whole new army from scratch.

Frankly, mine are on hiatus for quite a while (read; new AB)
    Molovian Guard (2,500 -ish Imperial Guard) (In all manner of shambles)
    Wuzza's Whirlin' Wheelerz (In progress 2k SpeedFreeks)
    The Horde of the Horned one (3k Skaven)
    Check out my Painting Blog! Comments/Criticism welcome! Currently featuring Orks and Skaven!
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
    In other words as a rock player I find that changes to scissors are fair, balanced and reasonable but that paper has been made too strong in this edition and should be nerfed.

I love my Bret's, I just keep adding more when I get bored I am really tempted by a white wolf empire army though, love that cavalry
    "Revenge is a dish best served by Uma Thurman"

If you do decide to build a Bret army then save yourself a small fortune and buy the Perry's 15th century minis

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by redben View Post
    If you do decide to build a Bret army then save yourself a small fortune and buy the Perry's 15th century minis
    Very bad idea, the perry minis are 28mm true scale and the knights are as small as goblin wolf riders.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast