Greetings one and all,
Since the possibility of moving to bigger premises cropped up I decided to get myself my first proper gaming table. With my main army being Warriors of Chaos, who are based in slate and scorched grass, I decided to theme the board around the Chaos wastes. There were a number of things I wanted to achieve, firstly to get it finished(!), have an array of terrain to use on it and make sure it matched up with my army as best as possible. So I have taken 2 weeks off for Easter and set myself to task.
So far the plan is to use GW's modular board sections and terrain (being my first board I wanted to start out simple) but with a piece or two of my own creation. The look I want to achieve is a mottled grey wasteland with patches of scorched grass about. I decided immediately that little to no slate would be used on the board sections themselves as it would be knocked off far too easily. Instead, my plan is to use slate on the terrain pieces, hopefully tying the board together, and the miniatures too. Looking around for ideas I have also been inspired by Tarrym's board (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...ight=wasteland) and plan to use the GW craters to make larva fissures.
I am really pushing the limits of my pretty weak terrain skills with this project but I decided to jump in the deep end anyway. I will be painting/drybrushing/highlighting on a much bigger scale than usual, attempting to make my own ruined buildings the first time, using water effects for the first time and airbrushing for only the third time. Any advice is warmly welcomed
What the nice postman brought me! I was surprised the extension parts of the board were the same as what you get as part of the main set, for some reason I thought they were a different sculpt. I'm not too bothered, now I don't always have to have games with hills on both sides!
The trees will be petrified, or at least dead, the kit is full of detail and really easy to put together, I need to use some liquid green stuff on the cracks before I undercoat them though.
Dreadstone Blight was the obvious choice as a terrain piece, I have decided to lose the stair section and put it together a bit differently to the instructions. I haven't glued it yet because I want to paint the sections individually, it's not sitting too well in the way I have assembled it but plenty of glue and green stuff as necessary will sort that out!
I also have etched off the Winds of Magic symbols (and any twin-tailed comets on the building), this isn't going to be a building of The Empire so I plan to put chaos symbols in instead. The central instrumentation will be submerged in water effects larva, which should tie the building in to the board more too!
I managed to get 4 out of the 8 board sections undercoated before the sun went down, so I'm a bit behind on my schedule already.
This is tomorrow's job. My Dad is helping me construct a stand to put the board on. I hope you can tell what's going on, apologies my technical drawing isn't the best! The legs will be attached with wing nuts and the two frames will be hinged together so it can fold up and fit in my car. I have no idea if the stand will end up being like this so it might change for practical reasons. Looking forward to dusting off my carpentry skills!