Thread: The One Ring

Unhappy The One Ring

When Isildor or frodo use the ring what are the consicunses and what it exactly dose

Re: The One Ring

Quote Originally Posted by kingcici View Post
    When Isildor or frodo use the ring what are the consicunses and what it exactly dose
    Uh, do you mean "what are the consequences" and "what exactly does it do"???

They become invisible to all but Sauron and his Nazgul. They also shift into a twighlight-realm like that in which Nazgul inhabit. Halfway between the "real" world and the "shadow" world. That and the wearers are incrementally corrupted by the ring's evil.
    With goodwill towards all, and malice towards none.

Hive Fleet Kali-Ma

Wargaming in Westeros

thank you

Banned

This thread confuses me. How can someone be a Lord of the Rings fan and not know what the ring does? (I'm assuming you are since you are in the Lord of the Rings section).

Commander

maybe he was asking about in game? If there are rules in game for using the ring. I dunno.

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by GodlessM View Post
    This thread confuses me. How can someone be a Lord of the Rings fan and not know what the ring does? (I'm assuming you are since you are in the Lord of the Rings section).
    Because the books never really go into any detail as to what the blasted thing actually DOES. It is constantly said how powerful it is, that someone who could master it could probably conquer the world, but ...how? Apart from shifting the user part way into the spirit world (thus resulting in invisibility) none of the ring's powers are stated. There are some implications of telepathy and an ability to dominate weaker minds on an individual basis, and an ability to control the Nazgul is reasonable if true ownership could be rested from Sauron, but nothing that would give the wielder any special abilities to raise armies (or defeat them) or anything like that.
    Once upon a midnight dreary...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanska of Kompletely Kroot, May 12 2009, 12:42 PM
    May your enemies taste as sweet as your victories...

Commander

That is a good point there. Now i'm wondering XD

Librarian

Same thing for the other rings. They seem to enhance the wearers abilities somehow. The elvish rings somehow sustain their realms and protect their users, the dwarf rings helped make them rich, and the rings of men somehow enabled them to rule their kingdoms, but it's all quite vague.

Commander

There was a brief description at the end of Return of the king book in one of the appendices that kinda explains one of the 3 elven rings. The one Cirdan gives to Gandalf at the grey havens.

"Take this ring master for your labours will be heavy; but it will support you in the weariness that you have taken upon yourself. For this is the ring of fire, and with it you may rekindle the hearts in a world that grows chill"

Makes me think that ring helped him in his quest of gathering all the good peoples together and giving hope. But i honestly think that the Rings of power just gave what it was the people gifted to them wanted most.

plus by the way i dindnt mean in the film i mean in the game like can u attack whilst using the ring or is there a time limit you can use it for

Librarian

The only description that I know of rules wise is under frodo's entry in the big rulebook. Page 78

Quote Originally Posted by ForgottenLore View Post
    Because the books never really go into any detail as to what the blasted thing actually DOES. It is constantly said how powerful it is, that someone who could master it could probably conquer the world, but ...how? Apart from shifting the user part way into the spirit world (thus resulting in invisibility) none of the ring's powers are stated. There are some implications of telepathy and an ability to dominate weaker minds on an individual basis, and an ability to control the Nazgul is reasonable if true ownership could be rested from Sauron, but nothing that would give the wielder any special abilities to raise armies (or defeat them) or anything like that.
    Rubbish it's very clear what the ring does

It corrupts, it turns you against your closest friends, drives you to kill them, and causes you to refer to it as "my precious". There is no explanation of what power the ring would grant someone if they could master it because no-one can, "the one ring answers to Sauron alone, it has no other master". There is implication from both Gandalf and Galadriel that either of them could have taken the ring and mastered it, but the result would have been their corruption to the point where they would have been as evil as Sauron. "The ring is altogether evil!"

For the master of the ring (for these purposes, Sauron) it seems to make him indestructably as long as the ring survives and invulnerable as long as he possesses it, there is also a strong implication that it has power over the other great rings, "one ring to rule them all", certainly the nine rings of men were bound to the one, and the implication I get from the book is that the bearers of the seven fell because of the one.

It is also mentioned somewhere that the three were protected because when Sauron revealed himself and his intent by putting on the one after its creation, the wearers of the three were aware of his intentions and took off their rings to protect themselves. The elven rings were the only ones that had no corruptive power over the wearers, because Sauron had no part in their making, they were exclusively the work of Celebrimbor.
    Proud Owner of Warhammer Armies: Lizardmen Ltd Edition no. 0865

Quote Originally Posted by Muad'Dib View Post
    'Cinematic' is an..euphemism* for "made so because teenagers enjoy it" or "dumbed down for teenagers".

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by Spiney Norman View Post
    It corrupts, it turns you against your closest friends, drives you to kill them, and causes you to refer to it as "my precious". There is no explanation of what power the ring would grant someone if they could master it because no-one can, "the one ring answers to Sauron alone, it has no other master". There is implication from both Gandalf and Galadriel that either of them could have taken the ring and mastered it, but the result would have been their corruption to the point where they would have been as evil as Sauron. "The ring is altogether evil!"
    And the fact that it is altogether evil and, as a by-product of that, corrupts its bearer has what to do with its actual powers? The implications in the book are that any sufficiently powerful indivual could have claimed the ring and used it to overthrow Sauron and establish him (or her) self as a new dark lord (because Sauron feared Aragorn, or even Denethor or Boromir, gaining the ring. The question is "How?" What abilities would the Ring have conferred on Galadriel or Aragorn that would have made their victory over the forces of Sauron all but assured, since Sauron's armies were undefeatable by conventional warfare even when Sauron DIDN'T have the ring.

For the master of the ring (for these purposes, Sauron) it seems to make him indestructably as long as the ring survives and invulnerable as long as he possesses it,
    Yet, while Sauron was wearing the ring his physical body was killed and one of his fingers was cut off. Hardly indestructible or invulnerable.

there is also a strong implication that it has power over the other great rings, "one ring to rule them all", certainly the nine rings of men were bound to the one, and the implication I get from the book is that the bearers of the seven fell because of the one.
    And as I mentioned in my post, the only reasonably inferred power of the thing is the ability to control the Nazgul.

The bearers of the seven never really "fell" per se. The impression I get is that the dwarven rings allowed their bearers to accumulate great wealth, but that they were basically cursed with really bad luck otherwise and dies early, unhappy deaths.

It is also mentioned somewhere that the three were protected because when Sauron revealed himself and his intent by putting on the one after its creation, the wearers of the three were aware of his intentions and took off their rings to protect themselves. The elven rings were the only ones that had no corruptive power over the wearers, because Sauron had no part in their making, they were exclusively the work of Celebrimbor.
    But again, we don't know what exactly the 3 allowed their wearers to do. It is said that while Sauron was powerless the 3 were not idle and were busy at work doing "elvish" things, but it doesn't say what that means, and there certainly isn't any indication of how the One Ring would rule those 3 if Sauron reclaimed it.

The clearest example of all this is when Frodo tries to give the ring to Galadriel. She seems absolutely certain that, if she took the ring, she would definitely be able to overthrow Sauron and take his place. Nowhere is there any indication of what the ring would enable her to do that she couldn't do otherwise.
    Once upon a midnight dreary...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanska of Kompletely Kroot, May 12 2009, 12:42 PM
    May your enemies taste as sweet as your victories...

Sauron created The One Ring in 1600 in the Second Age. He designed the Rings of Power to corrupt the leaders of the Free Peoples, creating The One Ring to subsequently dominate the wielders of the these Rings of Power thus rule the Peoples of Middle-earth. However, Celebrimbor perceived this and the Three were immediately removed by their bearers as soon as Sauron put on the One Ring. Additionally, Dwarves were not as susceptible to the Rings of Power as he had hoped. So his cunning plan sort of failed.

Nevertheless Sauron managed to overrun Eriador but was thwarted by Númenor sending aid to Gil-galad.

The One Ring did not help Sauron against the Númenoreans. Ar-Pharazôn the Golden easily captured Sauron circa 3200, although I would suggest Sauron decided that open warfare would not defeat the Númenorens and subterfuge would be a better long term way - I would suggest Sauron allowed himself to be captured.

Where was the One Ring during this time? Did Sauron keep it on his finger or did he hide it? Did Ar-Pharazôn consider the One Ring? What would have happened if he had and worn it? Perhaps Sauron did hide his ring perceiving the Downfall, knowing that a safely hidden One Ring would enable a swift return.

After the Downfall, the One Ring did not prevent Elendil and Gil-galad defeating Sauron in combat, although they both did die during this melee. Isildur merely cut the One Ring from Sauron's body.

So, apart from controling nine Kings of Men, and subsequently the Nazgûl they became, what did it do? Well, Frodo managed to use the One Ring to sort of control Sméagol without even wearing it. And when Sméagol betrayed the promise he made on The Precious, it sealed his death. And remember when Samwise first put on the One Ring? His senses were heightened. He could understand what the Orcs were saying in the tunnel. But it also made Samwise think he could dominate Sauron and turn Gorgoroth into a garden. Was this a trick of the One Ring to tempt Samwise and allow Sauron to perceive him and find it? Or did the One Ring indeed give the power to lead, command or dominate others?

But even on Sauron's finger the One Ring wasn't the ultimate power.

But what is power?

In The Silmarillion, Professor Tolkien stated that Fëanor was the mightiest of the Noldor, mightiest in words and skill of hand yet his younger brother Fingolfin was the strongest and most valiant, i.e. a greater warrior. Tolkien's idea of power was not necessarily the same as a wargamers.

In summary power is a rather nebulous concept but for Tolkien power was more about wisdom, words and deeds rather than the ability with a sword in individual combat.
    'Some who have read the book, or at any rate have reviewed it, have found it boring, absurd, or contemptible; and I have no cause to complain, since I have similar opinions of their works' JRR Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by ForgottenLore View Post
    And the fact that it is altogether evil and, as a by-product of that, corrupts its bearer has what to do with its actual powers? The implications in the book are that any sufficiently powerful indivual could have claimed the ring and used it to overthrow Sauron and establish him (or her) self as a new dark lord (because Sauron feared Aragorn, or even Denethor or Boromir, gaining the ring. The question is "How?" What abilities would the Ring have conferred on Galadriel or Aragorn that would have made their victory over the forces of Sauron all but assured, since Sauron's armies were undefeatable by conventional warfare even when Sauron DIDN'T have the ring.
    I think the point is we don't know exactly, but my guess would be greatly enhancing the possessors sorcerous power, especially in the area of dominating the will of others and forcing them to do what you want.

Yet, while Sauron was wearing the ring his physical body was killed and one of his fingers was cut off. Hardly indestructible or invulnerable.
    Actually you've made my point rather well, Sauron was invulnerable until he was separated from the ring, once that separation occurred his body was destroyed (possibly because the power of the ring was used to make it?) but Sauron himself was not destroyed, "the spirit of Sauron endured", I.e Sauron himself was indestructible as long as the ring survived.

And as I mentioned in my post, the only reasonably inferred power of the thing is the ability to control the Nazgul.
    I think it's also reasonable to assume that the power of the ring sustains the life of Sauron and was used to rebuild Barad Dur based on the effect it's destruction caused.

The bearers of the seven never really "fell" per se. The impression I get is that the dwarven rings allowed their bearers to accumulate great wealth, but that they were basically cursed with really bad luck otherwise and dies early, unhappy deaths.

But again, we don't know what exactly the 3 allowed their wearers to do. It is said that while Sauron was powerless the 3 were not idle and were busy at work doing "elvish" things, but it doesn't say what that means, and there certainly isn't any indication of how the One Ring would rule those 3 if Sauron reclaimed it.
    There is strong implication that Vilya gives Elrond a measure of control over the river at Rivendell, which is how he defeated the Nazgul at the ford, it's also strongly implied that Nenya sustains the realm of Lorien and protects it from the ravages of time etc.

While the book doesn't say exactly how the One would rule the three there was some reason why the original elven ring bearers removed their rings when the one ring was forged because they feared its power over their own rings. While Sauron didn't actually have a part in making the elven rings, he was deep in council with celebrimbor at the time and knew the magic behind their creation well. There is also the rhyme, it is "one ring to rule them ALL", I don't see any reason to assume that the rhyme is just wrong.

The clearest example of all this is when Frodo tries to give the ring to Galadriel. She seems absolutely certain that, if she took the ring, she would definitely be able to overthrow Sauron and take his place. Nowhere is there any indication of what the ring would enable her to do that she couldn't do otherwise.
    Absolutely, my guess is it would enhance sorcerous power to be able to defeat Sauron. On the other hand if his life force was bound to the ring and she truly wrested its mastery away from him perhaps Sauron's defeat/destruction would be automatic, sort of like turning off his life support machine.
    Proud Owner of Warhammer Armies: Lizardmen Ltd Edition no. 0865

Quote Originally Posted by Muad'Dib View Post
    'Cinematic' is an..euphemism* for "made so because teenagers enjoy it" or "dumbed down for teenagers".

Well i don't know if the rings were ever described in detail in the books because iv'e never read them, but this could certainly make a good story to continue on into the forth age, as Tolkien wanted people to carry on the story, as i'm sure you have noticed with Bilbo and his book that gets passed onto frodo and at the end of the story it was passed onto sam, and the goblins were still left because they were not part of saurons doings to middle earth, therefore if any of you guys were any good at writing you could have a goblin tribe that finds the rings if there are any left, or makes a new one...

Just a thought,

Professor Tolkien did begin to write a follow up to LOTR - he wrote 13 pages of a book called 'The New Shadow' but soon stopped. This is detailed in Letters of JRR Tolkien, letter 256 dated 13 May 1964:

I did begin a story placed about 100 years after theDownfall [of Mordor], but it proved both sinister and depressing. Since we are dealing with Men it is inevitable that we should be concerned with the most regrettable feature of their nature: their quick satiety with good. So that the people of Gondor in times of peace, justice and prosperity, would become discontented and restless – while the dynasts descended from Aragorn would become just kings and governors – like Denethor or worse. I found that even so early there was an outcrop of revolutionary plots, about a centre of secret Satanistic religion; while Gondorian boys were playing at being Orcs and going round doing damage. I could have written a 'thriller' about the plot and its discovery and overthrow – butit would be just that. Not worth doing.

Tolkien also alluded to The New Shadow in letter 338 dated 6 June 1972:

I have written nothing beyond the first few years of the Fourth Age. (Except the beginning of a tale supposed to refer to the end of the reign of Eldaron about 100 years after the death of Aragorn. Then I of course discovered that the King's Peace would contain no tales worth recounting; and his wars would have little interest after the overthrow of Sauron; but that almost certainly a restlessness would appear about then, owing to the (it seems) inevitable boredom of Men with the good: there would be secret societies practising dark cults, and 'orc-cults' among adolescents.)
    'Some who have read the book, or at any rate have reviewed it, have found it boring, absurd, or contemptible; and I have no cause to complain, since I have similar opinions of their works' JRR Tolkien

Librarian

Interesting stuff.
    I would make the following comments for clarity:

Sauron's armies could be and were countered by 'conventional' elvish and Numenorean means. (Only in the movie were the dead necessary to win the gates of Minas Tirith).

The Dwarves were taken out of the picture, which served Sauron nearly as well. He used their rings to 'push' them further into their natural greed, selfishness, and suspicion, keeping them from helping men and elves. It was probably the begining of the distrust between Elves and Durin's folk after the time of friendship. (Dwarves were able to use their rings to locate desired minerals and such while mining.)

It seems that all of the rings lost their power once the One Ring was destroyed, except maybe the three Elvish Rings. Those three passed over the sea with Gandalf and the Elves.

There were, however, other attempts to make rings before the full success of the 'great rings'. That's why Gandalf says to Bilbo that there are many magic rings, none of which should be used lightly. It's possible those lesser rings lost their power as well, though.

Librarian

As for the rules, the Ringbearer can choose to put the ring on, making him unable to be charged. However, I believe he can still charge.
    It also gives a chance for the Evil player to take control of the model, though, so there is some risk.