Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Games Day Model is Extra!

Games Day Model is Extra!

I phoned to get my tickets for Games Day 2012 and was disgusted to be told i would have to buy the space marine model on the day! After the disgrace of the set up for buying stuff last year what a joke, they really are bleeding people dry.

Re: Games Day Model is Extra!

It's been rumoured for a little while that this would be the case. I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing as most of the GD minis I would never want anyway so it's nice to have the option. On the other hand, it was also nice to be able to offset the cost a little by ebaying it. I'm under the impression that GW have hired much more space for GD this year which has increased costs and it was either this or bump up the price of the ticket. With that in mind I think this is the best solution.

Last year's mini was extra, too.

Back to stalking Kylie .. philbrad2's Avatar
    Aiding the scum of the (40K) universe... STILL!

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewGPaul View Post
    Last year's mini was extra, too.
    No it wasn't, I purchased two regular and a parent tickets last year and got two GD minis which I then sold on Ebay. If you could have purchased the tickets at a lower price without the mini I would have. Ironic thing is this year I want the mini for the first time in several years but I'm not paying 30 and then having to pay for the mini on top, sorry that's just a rip off.

Really not impressed with this, 30 a ticket + mini costs for, what was being kind, a very mediocre event. For the first time since 1994 I think I'll be missing this years event.

PhilB

Marine

There were two games day models!

The free Skaven model that you got with the higher priced ticket and the Forgeworld Space Marine Boarding Captain you had to pay for

I have both =)

Chapter Master

The Forgeworld model was one of their show only models and can be bought at any show that FW are at. It had nothing to do with Games Day.

Eh, the ticket is $25, the miniature is $15 (so I've been told by US Customer Service), so that works out to $40, which is what I paid last time. Now I don't necessarily have to get the miniature...though I probably will.

Note that this is in the US, and seems to be considerably cheaper than the UK one (makes sense, given the US one is a shadow of the UK one). A friend of mine and I were going to Chicago this year anyway, so we just shifted it around so we could drop into Games Day that Saturday. It's not a bad price if you hit the build-and-take tables.
    ...and a little help comes in a little glass vial in a gun pressed against her anatomy...

Things I'd love to do if I had limitless money: a new Salamanders army for 40K; a new Dark Elf army for Fantasy; an Emperor's Children force for HH *sigh*

I was very tempted to buy a GD this year, and not go, I had assumed it would come in the post like it did 2 maybe 3 years ago. GD itself I don't care about but I want that Space Marine for nostalgia reasons. However now that I find out its extra, they can swivel.

The miniature still comes with the GD Australia ticket according to the website, $75AUD. I'd be tempted to go if I didn't have to go through Sydney Airport to get there.

The Games Day miniature always used to be separate, the advent of it coming with a ticket is a relatively recent one.

I want the model.. but am I willing to pay 42 (not including travel) for it?

Not unless GW confirm it's made from Platinium rather than failcast.

Quote Originally Posted by Helston View Post
    There were two games day models!

The free Skaven model that you got with the higher priced ticket and the Forgeworld Space Marine Boarding Captain you had to pay for

I have both =)
    Actually the FW model is available at all events (even non GW ones) they attend so it's not a GD only model. The GD mini is only available at Games day events.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaelarr View Post
    The Games Day miniature always used to be separate, the advent of it coming with a ticket is a relatively recent one.
    And consequently increases the overall ticket price. Considering resin is way cheaper than metal currently I thought GW would absorb the cost of the mini for GD2012. They aren't so what charge the same price for an event where you're technically getting less now? That's what gets me, mini separate - fine, but reduce the ticket cost of the event to offset this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluxeor View Post
    I want the model.. but am I willing to pay 42 (not including travel) for it?

Not unless GW confirm it's made from Platinium rather than failcast.
    My biggest gripe with this is UKGD as an event has been declining steadily over the past 5 years. 2011 they rammed Dreadfleet down our necks of which I for one had zero interest in, but there was absolutely nothing from GW themselves for fans of 40K at all. FW's GD wasn't as awesome as its been in recent years, the design studios showed absolutely nothing new of interest. Basically it was a big GW store with a painting competition. A very very disappointing day and most certainly not worth the 30 ticket price. I'd sooner drive to Lenton, play some games enjoy lunch in Bugmans and head home, its further for me than GD but more enjoyable. I have (and will) drive to the FW and GW Design Studio open days this year. Not huge amounts to see but they are free and very enjoyable events. I get far more out of these type pf events than I have with UKGD for many years and I've been attending every UKGD event since the mid 90's. GD has lost its way big time and mainly due to GW's paranoia at releasing information about their up and coming product. For my 30 I want to see what GW are going to be doing not what I can buy in one of the local GW stores right now.

PhilB

Declined steadily for the past 5 years? More like 10+.

Design Studio open day is 15 a ticket according to WD Phil...

Quote Originally Posted by sparks View Post
    Design Studio open day is 15 a ticket according to WD Phil...
    I know just seen this and that's now off my list. Why can FW do an open day for free entry and GW do one for 15 ?? It's ludicrous, if they could guarantee some of the things that might be there then I might be tempted. But seeing the price tag per ticket it's just mental. How can they possibly justify this when in previous years its been a free to attend event. With the GD ticket fiasco this is the cherry on the top for me I'm really losing my faith in GW events providing value for their entry cost.

PhilB

I can't believe it's 30 JUST for a GD ticket? I called to see if it was a mistake but no it is correct 30 for just a ticket then extra for the finecrap GD mini, hmm I'll take neither thanks. Way Togo for the all out greed awards GW!!!

I'm confused by what you get for your 30 now if not the miniature? isn't Games Day just one big trade show? It's not like there's any free samples or anything?
    In the Grim Darkness of the Far Grim Dark there is only Grim Darkness, and skulls.

A collaborative blog about wargames, painting and probably some other randomness

And if the previous GD's are any indication there won't be a lot of upcoming material on display.

The last one I went to was utter cack, there wasn't anything new there and everyone had been briefed not to discuss anything not yet released. Since then I've bought a ticket every year just for the model, so I guess I should thank GW as I'll not be spending any on their GD this year

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast