Thread: 15th Birthday Collection

Post 15th Birthday Collection

As the title states Black Library have now released the fifteen short stories in a collection as seen below.
    http://www.blacklibrary.com/all-prod...ollection.html

What I don't understand is the price; why pay 11.99 for 15 stories when it is cheaper to buy them sepearately. I know it is only 14 pence, but part of me wonders why they didn't set the price at something like 11. In conclusion I would recommend people not buy it unless they increase the cost of the shorts.

Passwordman
    Never knock on Death's door, ring the doorbell and run away... he hates that.

I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather...not screaming like the passengers in his car.

When life gives you lemons rub them in your enemies wounds.

Re: 15th Birthday Collection

14p for the convenience of one download? Of one bundled ebook?

I'd happily pay 14p to have them all together, flicking between them was a bit of a nuisance having bought them all independently yesterday.

If the time it takes you to bundle them all personally (and navigate them more easily) is worth 14p, your time is very cheap.
    "Never! The bandwagon will leave without us!"- Sojourner
    "Xisor's lucky he didn't get bundled to the ground and shot in the head six times."- Charax
    "Poor old Ahriman and his many failed attempts to get a library card."- Lord Damocles
    http://xisor.wordpress.com

Battle-barge Spear of Lycaeus of the Sons of Corax 2nd Company

Yeah... I'm gonna go with Xisor here. 14p isn't really any kind of hardship. It doesn't make sense for there to be a "higher" charge but I'll chalk it up to the convenience. I bought them myself in bundles of 5... but yeah.

And one thing I don't get. Why would you "recommend" them increasing the price of the eShorts rather than decreasing the price of the collection?
    My 40k/Writing/Review blog - Sons of Corax Full list of my novel, comics, and audio drama reviews - Reviews. New review on 11/8/2013 is for Death of Antagonis by David Annandale.

My current fiction projects - Dharmayoddha, an Indian-mythology inspired urban fantasy set in Mumbai, India; Hammer of Shadows - a Euro-medieval epic fantasy with knights, gladiators and ancient relics; Cloak of Secrecy - a Norse-mythology inspired space opera.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowhawk2008 View Post
    And one thing I don't get. Why would you "recommend" them increasing the price of the eShorts rather than decreasing the price of the collection?
    I think he was saying that this would be the only circumstances he'd see the collection as a sensible choice.

Find this a little annoying myself, bought a bunch of them yesterday, probably would've gotten this instead...
    Quote Originally Posted by Squallish View Post
    God can not take Jesus Saves on his wounds.

Chapter Master

Is having fifteen files rather than one really that inconvenient?

I'm amused. Most of the time people complain about an omnibus which takes several novels together a while after first publication, plus maybe an extra short story, for less than those things cost all together, and especially when they already bought one or more of the novels when they came out. But now, you can pick and choose every component of the collection, complete the set whenever you like, and you still pay less than the single file version... and still someone isn't happy? So... precisely what do BL have to do to win, here?
    Dear Game Designer. Rock is cheese. Paper is fine. Regards, Scissors.

The question of why it costs more was asked on Twitter and they replied "The bundle is priced to match our pricing policy and pricing matrix".

I don't like BL prices anyway. Sometimes the different numbers for different currencies roughly match the conversation rate. e.g. the print on demand titles.
    With all other products the relation between euro and dollar is screwed.
    Now I could guess this has something to do with different prices for books in different countries. I also know that places like australia have it a lot worse that german costumers.
    I still can't help but to feel ripped off when I see the same book on the Bl website for 10.50 € and on amazon.de for 6.70 €.
    Especially considering that German sof-covers are much higher in quality while costing often less than 10 €, despite the fact that books prices are fixed here, too.

On topic:
    I always wondered why the BL bundles are not cheaper than buying the stories individually. Isn't that the main reason that bundles exist?
    Well, at least this collections doesn't cost MORE than the individual stories together in €. You actually save a cent ;-)

Battle-barge Spear of Lycaeus of the Sons of Corax 2nd Company

Umm... that's because Amazon doesn't care about taking losses? It is a well-established fact. Amazon has been making severe losses for years in order to establish its "fan-base", especially where eBooks are concerned. Amazon can take those losses because of its diverse, successful operations. Publishers can't soak up those losses. You aren't getting "ripped off". You are getting addicted to deadtrees/ebooks costing less. And in most cases, a lot of people go complain to publishers for charging too much.

As for stuff being cheaper in bundles. Omnibuses are all cheaper than individual novels by a significant margin. Anthologies also are all cheaper too (compared to their individual eBook prices). The 25 for 25 collection is also a HELL OF A LOT cheaper than it would be if you bought all those short stories individually. In POD stuff, take the Necromunda 2 collection as an example - it has 3 novels and 5 short stories, costs only 20 pounds. If you could buy them all separately, the price would be quite a bit higher, you are basically getting the short stories for free and save enough for about 2 more short stories worth.

Its not all doom and gloom really.
    My 40k/Writing/Review blog - Sons of Corax Full list of my novel, comics, and audio drama reviews - Reviews. New review on 11/8/2013 is for Death of Antagonis by David Annandale.

My current fiction projects - Dharmayoddha, an Indian-mythology inspired urban fantasy set in Mumbai, India; Hammer of Shadows - a Euro-medieval epic fantasy with knights, gladiators and ancient relics; Cloak of Secrecy - a Norse-mythology inspired space opera.

My point is not so much that amazon is cheaper than buying directly from BL, that is expected and I don't blame Bl or any other publisher for it.
    What I perceive as "ripping off" (maybe a unfortunate choice off words) is that, solely from my POV, I have to pay much more than an US-based costumer (and a bit more than an UK-based one) when i buy directly from BL, while getting a lower quality product compared to native language books for a similar price.

regarding the bundles: Yes, the Omnibuses are cheaper and you even get the short stories. Thats their main selling point imo.
    So why don't they do that with the ebundles, too? (except the anthologies and the 25 for 25 collection).
    Everything they sell as "eBundle" seems to have no advantage over buying the contained products separately.
    In this one case we are originally talking about it's even a bit cheaper to do so. How does that make any economical sense?

At this point I'd like to note that, while this all baffles me (maybe similar to how they handle their limited edition novellas) because they could make more money and most fans would be happier, too.
    I'm not really mad at BL though. I just buy some stuff where i either want to have it a bit earlier or where I want to support the author (though I wonder if it really makes a big difference, maybe someone here knows) from Bl directly and everything else from amazon.
    In the end it's BL's loss and not mine.

Quote Originally Posted by narrativium View Post
    Is having fifteen files rather than one really that inconvenient?

I'm amused.
    Strictly, they're different complaints and 'really that inconvenient' doesn't capture much. Yes, it's a nuisance. Is it 14p's worth of nuisance? Exactly? I think we know fine well that the question is sillier than the statement "I'm happy to pay 14p for the convenience"; the flow and implications respectively are quite different.

Downloading 15 at once, transferring them all, keeping track of them then flicking between them - yep, hassle. The H&B Year One download was mighty handy that way. Just a big ol' pile of stuff, easy to move through. Handy.

(It's also nice that the H&BY1 is cheaper than all of 'em together. It does seem odd for it and offers questions with regards to the pricing policy & matrix. Nevertheless, most things aren't well accounted in this regard - who knows why anything's priced as they are; I know I for one am taking a big ol' pile of it on faith.)
    "Never! The bandwagon will leave without us!"- Sojourner
    "Xisor's lucky he didn't get bundled to the ground and shot in the head six times."- Charax
    "Poor old Ahriman and his many failed attempts to get a library card."- Lord Damocles
    http://xisor.wordpress.com