Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Favourite size of game?

Re: Favourite size of game?

I like anything from 1,000 to 2,500-ish (2,600 can be okay; the difference is fairly negligible). Beyond that I think that choices in army construction become less important, magic stops scaling up properly in the larger games except in the instances of a spell like Dwellers hitting a large unit of elite/semi-elite models (and not every Lore, nor every army has access to such things) due to the way Winds of Magic work, and the number of models required for most armies becomes prohibitive to anyone who hasn't been playing the game for quite a long while--or who is rich indeed both in finances and free time . I will say that I think Fantasy can safely go larger than its equivalent game size in 40K not only for the standard reason of characters taking up a far greater portion of an army's points, but also because ranked units on movement trays make shuffling around the larger number of models a much more practical endeavor.

I also find that past ~2,500, a lot of people are just taking more of the same, or would be doing so if they built their ~2,500-point army to include the things that they wanted to take, because that point size allows for pretty much anything to be included. This results in a game that is larger, but nothing more; it's the same units ... with more models, or more copies of the same units, etc., and as such really doesn't create any more interest for me. I think for example that 40 Skeletons are just as "interesting" to use as 100, thus have no desire to use a unit of 100, ever.

If I had to choose my ideal or favorite game size it would be a tossup between 1,500 and 2,000.
    How Flayed Ones infiltrate:

Quote Originally Posted by Memnos
    "Fleshling! Do not shoot! For I am one of you fleshy things. It is I. Your Uncle Stan. Can't you tell by the long strips of fleshy substances covered in bodily fluids? Trust me! I have fleeeeeeeeesh."

in 8th edition it would be 2500.
    Machete don't text.

Has anyone mentioned Avian's poll on this topic form a few months ago? Not that it should never be broached again, but it's a good resource on the topic.
    Sterling: Yeah, I know it's sexy Woodhouse, that's why I bought ten. Now arrange those by color.
    Woodhouse: These are all black.
    Sterling: Oh, are they? Or are five in a dark black, and are five in a slightly darker black?

Since me and the rest of the player group that likes to get the most out of our armies have started playing by ETC's comp it's been exclusively 2400. Though I must admit I like to kit out my Greater Daemons more I really do enjoy the balance aspect that comp is giving us.

My answer: minimum 2.4k but below 3k

I really like < 2k. It is rare I get to play 500-1999 though. Most of the time I get stuck playing 2400-2500 and I find people bring a bit of everything instead of needing to make choices at that point level. I prefer when if someone is going to bring a ChosenStar they have dumped all their points into it and are lacking in other areas instead of having a bit of everything AND a ChosenStar.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    Douglas Adams
    Universal Battle - Click here to play!
    Animosity Campaigns - A5 was a blast join us next year for A6

I'm always curious about the people who answer 2400 or 2600, since it seems like the most common convention is to shrink/enlarge games in 250/500 point blocks. What gives with the extra 100 point chunks? Just local habits and/or comp packs?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Balerion View Post
    I'm always curious about the people who answer 2400 or 2600, since it seems like the most common convention is to shrink/enlarge games in 250/500 point blocks. What gives with the extra 100 point chunks? Just local habits and/or comp packs?
    I asked this in another thread, it would seem that 600 points is kosher while 625 is evil and hard to understand...lol

Quote Originally Posted by Balerion View Post
    In 40k that is true. In Fantasy it is often 100 point chunks. I've played in 2200 point tournaments as well as 800.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    Douglas Adams
    Universal Battle - Click here to play!
    Animosity Campaigns - A5 was a blast join us next year for A6

Not only true in 40K, around here tournament-games are either 1250 pts, 1500 pts, 2000 pts, 2250 pts or 2500 pts, which breaks down to 250 pts chunks.

Guess it depends on where you play...

Veteran Sergeant sugnathefeeble's Avatar

I like 1000-1500 point games but that might be because I only have a 4'X4' table to play on

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3