Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 372

Thread: 2012 Release Schedule

  1. #1

    2012 Release Schedule

    I got a rare opportunity to ply a wealth of information for some knowledge and insight about what's coming up next/soon.

    Here's the rundown...

    Dark Angels (May/June)
    6th Edition (July/August)
    -Starter Box featuring Dark Angels vs. Eldar
    Eldar (Oct/Nov Xenos slot)

    And somewhere in that mix is going to be a splash release of fliers that *should* include the Harpy, Voidraven Bomber, Doom/Night Scythe, and possibly more. When I mentioned 'Autumn of Fliers' I got a derisive snort, so we may see it sooner, we may see it later.

    This confirms two things:
    1. It's not going to be Dark Angels and Chaos for the Starter Box. GW is NOT going to put two power armor armies in the same box. Power armor is their bread and butter, and to put two power armor armies in one starter box doesn't follow any trends, going back to the Rogue Trader days. It *may* be Dark Angels vs. Tau, but my source suggested Eldar strongly for several reasons.
    -A. Eldar is a girl-getter. It's the one army that attracts more girls to the game than any other.
    -B. Eldar is currently the worst selling army.
    -C. Eldar has a massive loyal fanbase.
    Eldar are the logical step, and now they're the rumored next step in this coming Xenos season.

    2. Chaos is not going to be coming out this year, but may be slotted for early 2013. This is good and bad... bad because we don't get Chaos sooner. Good because it means Chaos will be a true 6th edition army, and not a 'made for' 6th edition army. This will put more time between the release of the rules and the finessing of the Codices, which means a better 6th edition Codex for Chaos. We could, of course, get a surprise, where they slam in a new Codex into the year, but that doesn't trend either. My source suggested, however, that we may see a lot of 'splash' releases packed in, with the aforementioned fliers being one.

    As for my source, of course I can't reveal him. It'd be a plain disservice to his trust. What I can say is that he is a wealth of knowledge about all things GW, Forgeworld, and Black Library, and has many contacts therein (and I don't mean GW store managers. I mean Codex and BL authors, and GW and Forgeworld sculptors).

    I would be very surprised if I was proved wrong by the passage of time and the developments therein, but such is the nature of the future. Take it or leave it, but I'm confident that you shouldn't have to take too much salt with this.

  2. #2
    Modstralian The Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    10,101

    Re: 2012 Release Schedule

    I know Harry originally said Eldar for the starter (but may have paired them with Chaos, not DA) but when Hastings claimed DA vs Chaos, he said not to bet against Hastings.

    Will be interesting to see if Hastings was in fact wrong.
    The Tale of Guilders

    That's just... like... your opinion, man.

    #| ||||||||||||||||| W ||||||||||||||||| |#

  3. #3

    Re: 2012 Release Schedule

    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    I know Harry originally said Eldar for the starter (but may have paired them with Chaos, not DA) but when Hastings claimed DA vs Chaos, he said not to bet against Hastings.

    Will be interesting to see if Hastings was in fact wrong.
    All GW trends and business logic already disagrees with Chaos vs Dark Angels. The fact of the matter, from what I understand, is that if they saturate the release of 6th edition with power armored armies being released, then they can kiss goodbye to revenues later when they don't have power armored armies to release. It's as if a grocery store sold all their milk in one week and couldn't restock it for weeks after. Simply not a good plan. Beyond that, it's always been Space Marines versus Xenos. Rogue Trader saw boxes of Space Marines paired with Space Orks. Second Edition was Black Templar and Dark Eldar. 3rd edition was Space Marines and Orks. 4th edition was Space Marines and Tyranids. 5th edition was Space Marines and Orks. (I may have gotten 2nd and 3rd mixed...) It's how they introduce players to the game.

    A double-power armored starter box would be a deal-seeker's dream, and GW would lose a lot of revenue on selling other boxes of power armored guys. Why would I buy 4 boxes of 10 Chaos Marines for 35 bucks a pop (140 dollars) when I can get the same, plus dreads and HQ's for only 100 with a mini rulebook! Shave off some Dark Angel or Chaos bits respectively and you're good to go at 1250+ points right off the bat. It's not good business. Betting on DA vs. Chaos in a starter is like wishing GW to go to your door and just hand you a 100 dollar check. Just won't happen.

  4. #4
    Modstralian The Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    10,101

    Re: 2012 Release Schedule

    Quote Originally Posted by drbored View Post
    All GW trends and business logic already disagrees with Chaos vs Dark Angels. The fact of the matter, from what I understand, is that if they saturate the release of 6th edition with power armored armies being released, then they can kiss goodbye to revenues later when they don't have power armored armies to release.
    Meh. A lot of assumptions in that statement. Personally, I wouldn't attempt to guess at the "logic" behind any decision GW.

    It could be as simple as a double Power Armour starter is easier to balance. If it is used the way they want it to be, i.e. as an introductory game for newbies, both players having easy to play forces (read Marines) makes it less likely one player will bomb out miserably and be soured towards the hobby because of it.

    Can you imagine what would happen with Eldar? You'd have the noobs fighting each other to play the Marines because the Eldar die too easily

    If GW are so concerned about people doubling up their forces through converting the other half, all they need to do is make sure the models are so heavily Chaos / Dark Angel that it's not worth it.

    We've heard people make similar claims in the past about GW stopping the boxed game altogether or making them have only one army, because people split boxes and resell what they don't want. I see just as little chance of that happening as them specifically avoiding DA vs Chaos simply because they're both Marines.

    Again, I'm not saying you're wrong, just that I try not to make that sort of assumption about GW's motivations.
    The Tale of Guilders

    That's just... like... your opinion, man.

    #| ||||||||||||||||| W ||||||||||||||||| |#

  5. #5

    Re: 2012 Release Schedule

    It would be awesome that the xenos finally get a little love.

    sometime one wonder if the grim dark furture among the stars, only truly holds spacemarines and their friends!

  6. #6

    Re: 2012 Release Schedule

    Touche, Dude, I didn't think about those points.

    Well, logic'ing aside, the info that I got suggests DA/Eldar.. I'm not saying that's the gospel, but time will certainly tell!

  7. #7
    Commander Maxis Lithium's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario Canada, eh?
    Posts
    816

    Re: 2012 Release Schedule

    Hasting has allready said that it won't just be Chaos Marines in the core rules, but something else. and it's been indicated to not be demons. this leaves likely Cultists/Traitor humans which would not be power armored. I suspect your source is repeating the rumors from the other thread, rather then new information. As it is, If we are hearing about Necron in May, that mean (at least to me) that we won't see a new codex for 40K until after 6th ed drops into our hot little hands. I would like to be proven wrong on thi fact, but I fear I will be right.

    I expect that your source is speculating, not gathering information from inside the company.
    E nomine Imperator et Suus Faveo Filii et Sanctus Terra, Amen!

    My Tyranid army Project Log Check it out!

  8. #8

    Re: 2012 Release Schedule

    Quote Originally Posted by Maxis Lithium View Post
    Hasting has allready said that it won't just be Chaos Marines in the core rules, but something else. and it's been indicated to not be demons. this leaves likely Cultists/Traitor humans which would not be power armored. I suspect your source is repeating the rumors from the other thread, rather then new information. As it is, If we are hearing about Necron in May, that mean (at least to me) that we won't see a new codex for 40K until after 6th ed drops into our hot little hands. I would like to be proven wrong on thi fact, but I fear I will be right.

    I expect that your source is speculating, not gathering information from inside the company.
    With Necron at the beginning of May, that leaves all the rest of May and June for a full Codex release before 6th edition drops in July like new editions tend to. Splash releases don't take up a full month. Empire released with the new paints a week before and decal sheets a week after.

    And if he's repeating stuff that's already been said, doesn't that lend more credence to these particular rumors though?

  9. #9

    Re: 2012 Release Schedule

    I've been told that Eldar have been the 2nd or 3rd best selling army after Space Marines in general and Imperial Guard (depending on the codex) since the 90s, from a variety of reliable sources over the past year (including past and present high-ups in GW). The idea that they have suddenly become GWs worst selling army strikes me as somewhat ridiculous. Not to mention B and C woudl basically contradict themselves, how would GW know Eldar have a huge fanbase if they don't sell well and why would they not sell well if they have a huge fanbase? Very few of the kits are dated to the extent you see in some other ranges and the plastic kits are abundant and excellent.

    I've also been hearing from a few reliable rumourmongers that Eldar are firmly slotted in for next year, which doesn't necessarily mean they won't be in the starter.

    I'd like for these rumours to be true but I can't help but be very skeptical, too much of the reasoning seems like speculation and assumptions.

    Also, as for Eldar being a 'girl-getter' this seems to me like more fan speculation. Obviously I only have anecdotal evidence but I know close to thirty female games online and in person and Tyranids are the most popular choice, with Eldar, SoB, Orks, IG, DE and SM all being roughly equal.
    Last edited by eldargal; 17-04-2012 at 06:13.
    In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only British.
    Actual (alleged) girl. Alpha Female.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jes Goodwin
    They breed more anyway, its a pretty rough place, Commoragh, there's a lot of it going off.

  10. #10
    Modstralian The Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    10,101

    Re: 2012 Release Schedule

    Quote Originally Posted by drbored View Post
    And if he's repeating stuff that's already been said, doesn't that lend more credence to these particular rumors though?
    Not if he's just getting it from here

    Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    I've been told that Eldar have been the 2nd or 3rd best selling army after Space Marines in general and Imperial Guard (depending on the codex) since the 90s, from a variety of reliable sources over the past year (including past and present high-ups in GW). The idea that they have suddenly become GWs worst selling army strikes me as somewhat ridiculous. Not to mention B and C woudl basically contradict themselves, how would GW know Eldar have a huge fanbase if they don't sell well and why would they not sell well if they have a huge fanbase? Very few of the kits are dated to the extent you see in some other ranges and the plastic kits are abundant and excellent.
    Indeed. Some of that seems to be assumption based on personal opinion.
    The Tale of Guilders

    That's just... like... your opinion, man.

    #| ||||||||||||||||| W ||||||||||||||||| |#

  11. #11
    Brother Sergeant
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Twin Cities MN
    Posts
    51

    Re: 2012 Release Schedule

    I will be honest, I was not looking forward to the 2 power armor starter box idea. I thought that if it were to happen that way though, they would include daemons in the box as part of the Chaos choice, maybe some cultist/traitor guardsmen, and one squad of plague/noise/beserkers/thousand suns marines. DA vs. Eldar would be interesting, but being a game marketed for kids, the hero's/HQ choices would have to be able to take each other on one on one and be a fair fight. Currently, Eldar HQ choices can't take on a Marine captain of any flavor without being a named character.

    It doesn't make sense to me with DA and Eldar in the starter box, but then again neither does Chaos. None of the 3 armies have had a codex update recently and there are no concrete rumors, other than yours, that we will even get another codex before 6th. To my understanding, every time GW releases the starter box, both armies are updated within a couple months. For Black Reach, the Orks got a new codex right before 5th, and Marines got theirs a month after. I can't speak for the other starter sets as I wasn't playing at that time.

    Honestly it would suprise me less for GK and Chaos of some sorts in the starter set. GK is a solid (dare I say overpowered) codex that just got updated last year, and Chaos could be released right after 6th drops. Thats just speculation however.

    However, I will eat my words if Eldar show up in the starter, and I will bow to GW if Tau are in the starter.

  12. #12
    Solitaire Avian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Porsgrunn, Norway
    Posts
    13,667
    I would think that one reason for not going power armour vs power armour is that the forces would be quite difficult to tell apart unpainted. So to make it more visual and more engaging, they want quite different silhouettes.
    Hordes pLog
    Circle Orboros - Warpwolves FTW!

    Ask not what you can do for the Devourer Wyrm, but what the Devourer Wyrm can do to you!

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    I've been told that Eldar have been the 2nd or 3rd best selling army after Space Marines in general and Imperial Guard (depending on the codex) since the 90s, from a variety of reliable sources over the past year (including past and present high-ups in GW). The idea that they have suddenly become GWs worst selling army strikes me as somewhat ridiculous. Not to mention B and C woudl basically contradict themselves, how would GW know Eldar have a huge fanbase if they don't sell well and why would they not sell well if they have a huge fanbase? Very few of the kits are dated to the extent you see in some other ranges and the plastic kits are abundant and excellent.

    I've also been hearing from a few reliable rumourmongers that Eldar are firmly slotted in for next year, which doesn't necessarily mean they won't be in the starter.

    I'd like for these rumours to be true but I can't help but be very skeptical, too much of the reasoning seems like speculation and assumptions.
    Simple. The Eldar have gained a massive fanbase from past releases, but over the past year or so, they have been the worst selling army. A lot of people love them, but those people have typically had their Eldar for a lot longer. People that ask 'should I start Eldar?' are met with 'No, because it's old and full of metal/finecast and hasn't gotten an update.' It was that way with Dark Eldar. When people asked 'should I start DE?' people replied 'No, wait for the update'.

    So, since the 90's, I'm sure you're right, Eldar have sold very well. Take a look at those trends since 2005 though. The popularity in sales drops off.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'O'Stormblade View Post
    I will be honest, I was not looking forward to the 2 power armor starter box idea. I thought that if it were to happen that way though, they would include daemons in the box as part of the Chaos choice, maybe some cultist/traitor guardsmen, and one squad of plague/noise/beserkers/thousand suns marines. DA vs. Eldar would be interesting, but being a game marketed for kids, the hero's/HQ choices would have to be able to take each other on one on one and be a fair fight. Currently, Eldar HQ choices can't take on a Marine captain of any flavor without being a named character.

    It doesn't make sense to me with DA and Eldar in the starter box, but then again neither does Chaos. None of the 3 armies have had a codex update recently and there are no concrete rumors, other than yours, that we will even get another codex before 6th. To my understanding, every time GW releases the starter box, both armies are updated within a couple months. For Black Reach, the Orks got a new codex right before 5th, and Marines got theirs a month after. I can't speak for the other starter sets as I wasn't playing at that time.

    Honestly it would suprise me less for GK and Chaos of some sorts in the starter set. GK is a solid (dare I say overpowered) codex that just got updated last year, and Chaos could be released right after 6th drops. Thats just speculation however.

    However, I will eat my words if Eldar show up in the starter, and I will bow to GW if Tau are in the starter.
    Key point is highlighted in bold. Eldar would be updated within the next couple of months, just like Space Marines were for 5th edition.
    Last edited by Darnok; 17-04-2012 at 06:46.

  14. #14

    Re: 2012 Release Schedule

    They had a new book in 2006 with some excellent new plastic kits, they have received a lot of FW love in the last 18 months as well. They also still have some competitive builds, if not exactly top tier. Are we really expected to believe that they are selling worse than SoB and Tau, with very old books and dated model ranges? Or even Tyranids with a good model range but what is considered the worst 5th edition book? No offense to your source but it just doesn't seem to make much sense.

    Don't misunderstand, I'd love nothing more than Eldar to be in the starter box, and if they are selling poorly then they ought to get some attention. It isn't that I don't want this to happen, I just find the reasoning behind what your source says as flawed, especially since it contradicts quite strongly what I've been told about Eldar sales (I've asked specifically) in the past year.
    Last edited by eldargal; 17-04-2012 at 06:15.
    In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only British.
    Actual (alleged) girl. Alpha Female.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jes Goodwin
    They breed more anyway, its a pretty rough place, Commoragh, there's a lot of it going off.

  15. #15

    Re: 2012 Release Schedule

    Quote Originally Posted by drbored View Post
    -A. Eldar is a girl-getter. It's the one army that attracts more girls to the game than any other.
    Nope, girls play SoB and Tyranids.
    Of all the threads in all the forums in all the world you had to post into this one.

  16. #16
    These rumors sound like the most rubbish rumors I have heard since "evasion value".
    Taking commissions now. New website!
    www.battleworthy-arts.com

  17. #17
    Commander Poncho160's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Stafford, UK
    Posts
    961

    Re: 2012 Release Schedule

    Eldar in the box set would be awesome!!! If its true, I could see some new Aspect Warriors, a walker of some type and maybe even some new jetbikes!! It could even be a good buisness plan to include new jet bikes as every Eldar player would want some and the only way to get some would be to buy the boxed set!
    Oh Pyrovore, you're like the Eeyore of 40K

  18. #18

    Re: 2012 Release Schedule

    Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    They had a new book in 2006 with some excellent new plastic kits, they have received a lot of FW love in the last 18 months as well. They also still have some competitive builds, if not exactly top tier. Are we really expected to believe that they are selling worse than SoB and Tau, with very old books and dated model ranges? Or even Tyranids with a good model range but what is considered the worst 5th edition book? No offense to your source but it just doesn't seem to make much sense.
    You definitely make fantastic points, but Tau is also predominantly plastic, whereas almost all aspect warriors for Eldar are metal or finecast. SoB and loyal space marine variants aside, Eldar, Tau, and Chaos Marines are now the oldest Codices since Necron have been released. Also I'll admit I pulled '2005' out of my behind, as I didn't know Eldar were updated in 2006. That said, I agree that Eldar being the worst seller is quite the blanket statement when you consider SoB and Tau. Still, you have to look at sales trends over the past 3 years. Older Codices get less love.

  19. #19
    Chapter Master zoggin-eck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,786

    Re: 2012 Release Schedule

    Quote Originally Posted by Avian View Post
    I would think that one reason for not going power armour vs power armour is that the forces would be quite difficult to tell apart unpainted. So to make it more visual and more engaging, they want quite different silhouettes.
    Makes sense to me. Perhaps it's the same for the box artwork and related advertising. The usual space marines fighting somehting else looks more interesting to an outsider than marines fighting marines. Look at how different the two forces on the Island of Blood cover look, for instance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darnok View Post
    Please don't support the lazy klick-bait from sites like Natfka.
    My painting & gaming rooms journal: Fantasy, 40k, Epic 6mm, terrain & general sci-fi

  20. #20

    Re: 2012 Release Schedule

    I hope that doesnt mean DA get the "test" codex for the new edition, and that it comes in hard back. We all know how the last test panned out.

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •