Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Flames of War Army Lists..

Flames of War Army Lists..

Here are 2 army lists i have written, im trying to decide between them, at the mo, im leaning towards the second one...

HQ Platoon
    2x Panzer IV F2 = 320

Panzer Zug 1
    2x Panzer IV F2, 1x Panzer IV F1 = 450

Panzer Zug 2
    2x Panzer IV F2, 1x Panzer IV F1 = 450

Armoured Panzergrenadier Zug
    3x Panzergrenadier squads mounted in Sd Kfz 251/c half tracks, HQ unit with panzerknacker = 290

Scout platoon
    HQ section with 3 scout units mounted on motorbikes = 165

Artillery Battery
    HQ secion with 2x gun sections (10.5cm leFH18 guns x4) = 315

total = 1990

this one, although nicely rounded, is a bit light on tanks for whats supposed to be a panzerkompanie.

HQ
    1x PZIV F2
    1x PZIIIJ (late) = 275

Panzer Zug 1
    4x PZIIIJ (late) = 460

Panzer Zug 2
    3x PZIV F2
    2x PZIV F1 = 740

Armoured Panzergrenadier Zug
    3x Panzergrenadier squads mounted in Sd Kfz 251/c half tracks, HQ unit with panzerknacker = 290

Scout platoon
    HQ section with 3 scout units mounted on motorbikes = 165

TOTAL = 1930

this one, although losing the arty, has more tanks in it (hell, a panzerkompanie is supposed to be about the armour!).
    Hobbyshed..The Zocolo

Instant I.Q test, click here

Re: Flames of War Army Lists..

go with the second list. I love my artillery, but two guns are not all that great. Plus who doesnt love tanks!
    go with the first one it has 2 sections not 2 guns, my bad. Always go with the big guns!
    Last edited by elphabea; 30-04-2006 at 15:08.

Nijmegen,Leiden,Arnhem (Hollandia AKA the Badlands).

I'd go with the second list, more panzers is always a Good thing. And German arty is not that special compared to say british,American,Itallian. Germans are known with their successes while using armour, this is represented on the table top by the storm trooper move, a very powerfull tool.
    Hello Eduard it appears that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks, why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums?

yeah, the second list is more rounded and mobile, the addition of the zug of PZIIIJ (late) increases the armys firepower, as the long 5cm tank gun has a ROf of 3 and an AT of 9, meaning that should i be facing russians (with their huge array of tanks like the light and fast T70) or british/american (with stuff like the "honey" stuart) i increase my chances of getting a kill.
    plus the panzers all have hull AND co-ax MGs, which means infantry get peppered with machine gun fire.

also, the PZIVF1s have close support artillery guns, so they can do just as good a job as the 10.5cm arty, and can lay smoke.

anyways, i wants to see other peoples lists, so i do.
    Hobbyshed..The Zocolo

The second one is more viable than the first. It has a good mix of armor and mobility, but remember, most tanks have hull AND co-ax MGs, which also means that your infantry will get peppered with machine gun fire. Then again, armoured panzergrenadier are there for cannon fodder to draw out the enemy. But a tank company none the less.
    Canadia!... America's novelty hat!

the infantry are in there as a countermeasure to flush people out if they are holed up inside buildings, basically the tanks will soften them up/pin them, then the foot troops will move in and finish them off in close assault.
    the troops will be maneuverable enough in their half tracks and if its down to an open battle, the firepower they can throw out (coupled with the MGs from the bikes) should be enough to drive back even the biggest soviet conscript army.
    Hobbyshed..The Zocolo

Generally a good plan, but are you expecting to be going up against soviet infantry?
    Canadia!... America's novelty hat!

soviet infantry armies are quite common round here yes, but the same principle applies for british motor infantry companies, US rifle companies and italian foot infantry armies, as in, they are all troop/ light transport heavy armies which can easilly overwhelm a comparitivley small tank army.
    Hobbyshed..The Zocolo

Heres the list I'm toying around with at the moment-

Jerry Panzergrenadiers
    Company HQ, (2 Half trackers, panzerknacker) 80
    Armoured PzGrn Platoon (panzerknacker), 290
    PzGrn Platoon, 220
    Light Anti-air platoon- 2*Quad 2cm, 110
    Nerbelwerfer Battery- 3 guns, 200
    Anti-tank Gun Platoon- 2*PAK40, 175
    Panzer Platoon- 2* Panzer III M, 1 Panzer VI G, 425

=1500 on the dot

Nice list, lost of anti infantry fire power, although I guess you will be hard pressed fighting against tank companies. Maybe you could drop the rocket battery for some more anti tank power? (but that would be a shame, since rockets are actually very usefull).
    Hello Eduard it appears that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks, why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums?

Thats my main problem at the moment. Sometimes I switch out the nerbels for another PAK40 platoon and up armour the anti air. Its just I thinking the rockets will be useful if I want to pin stuff, and they are way better at killing dug in infantry than mortars or PAK38s, which I find is a problem for the Germans.

Like most games, there is never enough points to go around, which is a real shame because it is especially pronounced in the Germans. I would dearly love to use some panthers, but that then basically leaves you with a 675 Point army, which isnt really enough IMO.

do people use a lot of aircraft in your area?, its just tha i hardly see em used round here andthe closest anyone gts to seeing an AA gun is when the german players get their 88s out.

if its hit and miss when you see aircraft, id ditch the AA guns in favour of some more AT stuff, as you have the anti personell stuff seen to, now you need to work out how to crack those panzers.

as for panthers, ive wanted a zug of them ever since i got into FoW, problem is they really shouldnt be coming out to play until you are getting into the 2000 point plus range, as they are too much of a point sink, the same as tigers.
    Hobbyshed..The Zocolo

I have considered dropping the AA stuff, as aircraft aint really that prevelent, but to be honest I'm at a loss as to what to replace them with.

110 does not get you alot of stuff in HFB, so not really sure about it!

ZZ9 plural Z alpha (England, Somerset, Bath)

I have settled for this list. i was wondering what people think of it, or how it could be improved.

U.S. rifle company

H.Q.-company H.Q.-20pts

COMBAT PLATOONS
    rifle platoon-130 add bazooka-15

WEAPONS PLATOONS
    machine gun platoon-2 sections-100pts
    + 2 bazookas-30pts

weapons platoon-machine gun section-50

SUPPORT PLATOONS
    field artillery battery-2 sections-190

anti-air self prop platoon-2 sections-155

tank platoon-3 M5A1 stuarts-165

TOTAL-1000pts

Im not sure how it would work on the battlefield. Everyone is just starting in my area, so i don't know much about what im gonna face, but i think this is a good all-round list.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

artillery, infantry AND tanks in 1000pts? can't go wrong with that. Aim for an even number of platoons as it makes the company tougher to break, also a small number of tough companies tend to be better than a large number of weak ones - esp with trained or conscript troops.

In general (1500pts+) i'd try to make sure an infantry company had 3 platoons before adding support but at 1000pts that's not so "gamey". Would recommend trying to boost the Stuarts to at least 4 as it makes them a lot more survivable - the AA is cool but how many opponents will really take air support in 1000pts? (Stuarts also have AA mgs i think?) As the mobile element you'll need them to stick around to support infantry assaults.

Quote Originally Posted by Flame
    I have considered dropping the AA stuff, as aircraft aint really that prevelent, but to be honest I'm at a loss as to what to replace them with.

110 does not get you alot of stuff in HFB, so not really sure about it!

erm, well you could drop the AA stuff and replace it with some more PaK40s, or some recon in the form of motorbikes or armourd cars (always useful)
    Hobbyshed..The Zocolo

Quote Originally Posted by answer_is_42
    I have settled for this list. i was wondering what people think of it, or how it could be improved.

U.S. rifle company

H.Q.-company H.Q.-20pts

COMBAT PLATOONS

WEAPONS PLATOONS
    machine gun platoon-2 sections-100pts
    + 2 bazookas-30pts

weapons platoon-machine gun section-50

SUPPORT PLATOONS
    field artillery battery-2 sections-190

anti-air self prop platoon-2 sections-155

tank platoon-3 M5A1 stuarts-165

TOTAL-1000pts

Im not sure how it would work on the battlefield. Everyone is just starting in my area, so i don't know much about what im gonna face, but i think this is a good all-round list.

this army seems a bit small for my liking, for example, the 2 rifle platoons with bazookas will get splattered if somone manages to land a well placed HE shell on them, also, due to there only being 2 sections, all it will take is for 3 bases to get killed and the rest of the unit will run away.also, like i say to most people, you really have to give serious consideration to wether the AA stuff is needed, because air support is quite rare on a FoW battlefield, therefore more often than not, the points you spend on AA stuff is usually wasted.
    ideally, you should be making your army to the 1500 point mark, that way you can flesh it out and make it less fragile.
    Last edited by Pikachu; 03-05-2006 at 16:20.
    Hobbyshed..The Zocolo

ZZ9 plural Z alpha (England, Somerset, Bath)

Quote Originally Posted by Pikachu
    also, like i say to most people, you really have to give serious consideration to wether the AA stuff is needed, because air support is quite rare on a FoW battlefield, therefore more often than not, the points you spend on AA stuff is usually wasted.
    everyone round my area is going to be using some air support in their army's, and that platoon can fire off 20 shots a turn! that would destroy infantry platoons.

i'm building a 1000 pt list to start, as i have allot of other things to buy/paint at the mo.
    Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Replace the AA with recon units, If used wisely they can snatch objectives with out your opponent reaslising it. (sneak gits).

recon = better than AA units

trust me, you DONT need them.
    Hobbyshed..The Zocolo

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast