Thread: 6mm Warmaster Ancients

6mm Warmaster Ancients

I'm basing them on half-size bases, 20x10mm instead of standard Warmaster 40x20mm. Why? Well, there are a few reasons:

1. Warmaster Ancients has great fast rules that allow for huge battles. But with default unit sizes those units are so big they require a table of insane proportions to stage such a battle. Halving the bases and all ranges allow to have a big battle on relatively small table.
    2. Money and painting. If you halve the bases and buy 1000p army, you get 4000p and obviously painting is also 4 times as fast.

Below some pics of Romans and Britons I have painted so far. I tend to paint 3 units (18 stands of 6mm infantry) in a go, using the Army Painter dips.

They can also be seen here:
    https://picasaweb.google.com/1129034...29793524019954

Google's gallery allows for some magnifying.
    SPQR or GTFO

Re: 6mm Warmaster Ancients

these look fantastic, i totally get what your saying with the bases, would be nice if you could get a good macro on a camera and show a close up of these models. also, 6mm, wow, i didnt know anyone still used these lol. keep it up

CURRENTLY ACCEPTING COMMISSION WORK AT LOW LOW PRICES FOR HIGH TABLE TOP STANDARD!!

Check out my new brazen claw log here
    or my Deathwatch log here

or my facebook page here!

Quote Originally Posted by LordKhaine View Post
    these look fantastic, i totally get what your saying with the bases, would be nice if you could get a good macro on a camera and show a close up of these models. also, 6mm, wow, i didnt know anyone still used these lol. keep it up
    These are painted for a mass effect (no infringement of Bioware's rights is meant by this remark) not an individual one, so close ups of single minis wouldn't look that good. Still if you maximize this pic:
    https://picasaweb.google.com/1129034...29793524019954

and zoom in you can see the individual minis.

From what I know Baccus is doing well with their 6mm range. I spoke to the owner at Salute 2012 and he told me he was planning a full re sculpt of the entire Roman range. Still in business, still doing well from what I gather
    SPQR or GTFO

They look awesome, will have to paint mine up (if I can still find them)!?!

H

Played with them for the first time yesterday. A batrep is here:

http://legioineptica.blogspot.co.uk/...le-report.html
    SPQR or GTFO

I finally got around to painting the leaders. Thus far I was chain-painting, 16 stands at a time and didn't want to "waste" time on just three minis. But the army does need the leaders, so here goes:

They are very very small, just about the size of a fingertip, so don't photograph very well when shown individually. The base will have to take care of making them distinctive on the battlefield.

The entire log of painting them is here:
    http://legioineptica.blogspot.co.uk/...n-leaders.html
    SPQR or GTFO

They look great! I like the way you did the bases.

H

Chillin' like Gilligan, out on a an island, fishin' with my string and bamboo

It absolutely boggles my mind that anyone can sculpt 6mm and have it look like anything other than a blob. Painting it can not be much easier. Good work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty
    What the Modsticker said.

Thanks, but in fact painting them is very easy. Way easier than 28mm. Doing 18 stands of infantry (3 full units in the scale I'm using) takes about two evenings, so something like 3h of constant work. Painting the two armies shown here (Romans are around 1800p, Brits around 1400p) took me about a month of fairly lazy work. It is really really easy.
    SPQR or GTFO

This time the British leaders.

Here they are, painted and varnished.
    Just as before with Roman leaders it's Coat d'Arms and Vallejo paints, Army Painter strong dip and all covered with Vallejo matt varnish. The minis are 6mm Baccus.

Just as with Romans the miniatures, no matter how painted, will never be distinctive enough on the battlefield to be immediately recognizable as leaders so the bases (coins) will have to draw attention to them.

Full size images available at http://legioineptica.blogspot.co.uk/...h-leaders.html and linked from the thumbs above
    Last edited by Nurglitch_PS; 04-05-2012 at 22:44.
    SPQR or GTFO

Chapter Master Karak Norn Clansman's Avatar

"SPQR or GTFO"

The armies look fantastic.
    Chaos Dwarfs & Squats. Hobby Group Auxillia Work. Flayman Tutorial. Chaos Dwarf Songs, Chaos Dwarf Sayings, Chaos Dwarf Quotes, Chaos Dwarf Monument Inscriptions & Chaos Dwarf Religious Texts. There's fourteen ways to skin a dwarf

Quote Originally Posted by unheilig
    The realm of battle board revealed the true secret... the warhammer world has a geological layer of skulls.

Great job.

Good idea using half bases and ranges. I may have to steal it! Until now I've filled larger bases but when using single piece units (like irregular miniatures 6mm) it looks odd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darnok View Post
    Please don't support the lazy klick-bait from sites like Natfka.
    My painting & gaming rooms journal: Fantasy, 40k, Epic 6mm, terrain & general sci-fi

Are Irregulars good? I've not seen any with my own eyes.
    SPQR or GTFO