Thread: First Black Crusade Campaign

Scout

First Black Crusade Campaign

Hey everyone,

I'm GMing my first Black Crusade campaign tonight. I've been a DM for a few Dungeons & Dragons campaigns in the past, so I have some experience running a pen and paper RPG. I was just curious if anyone would have some valuable input for my campaign - tips, challenges to add, etc.

The premise (taken from the introduction I wrote):

The Abandoned

"A daring raid by the Chaos warband, the Warp Riders, upon the Industrial World of Wilhelm has ended in bitter defeat for the invaders, forcing them to pull their forces from the planet and return to the Warp. In their rapid retreat from Wilhelm, they were unable or unwilling to evacuate every member of the warband; many have been left to fend for themselves against the rapidly approaching planetary defense forces. This is no longer a piratical raid. This is survival.

You have arrived at the designated evac-zone only to see your transport vessel exiting Wilhelm's atmosphere. You have been abandoned. Worse, you have been abandoned on open ground upon a mesa, the planetary defense forces not far from your current location. With limited supplies and intel at your disposal, you must work in tandem to secure for yourselves the means to escape Wilhelm."

I provided some intel for them as well. It's the only information they have entering the game.

Intel

"The geography of Wilhelm is composed of mountains, mesas, and valleys all great in size. There is little vegetation and water. Pollution is high."

"As an Industrial World, there is a significant mining and manufacturing presence. Thus, the planet is essential to the Imperium's presence in the region and heavily fortified."

"Currently, you are nearest to a power station built within a chain of deep valleys regarded as the Valley of the Shadow of Death. The name is derived from the heavy, black smog blanketing the chain, caused by the smelting plants within the valley."

"The initial bombardment by the Warp Riders has done some significant damage to both the infrastructure and planet's surface. Your only path open to you is through the VotSoD; the planetary defense forces are incoming from the only other valley near your location. Entering the smog-covered valley will prevent an aerial assalt, limiting only ground forces to tracking you."

"The power station is 6km from your current location. It is midday."

Their objectives are relatively simple: Enter the VotSoD and navigate towards the power station, followed by finding the means to shut down it's plasma reactors. For two bonus objectives, I've given them the option to destroy the power station, and finding a way to cut-off the advancing planetary defense force.

It is going to be an ongoing campaign, and I have several ideas for at least the next two missions, but for now I could use some advice for challenges for them to face in this mission.

Re: First Black Crusade Campaign

Sounds like a great scenario idea !!!

Although its quite a sandbox you are offering your players, if they are Good RP'ers (or anything like me) you should expect some totally off-plan gaming.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Steam_Giant View Post
    Sounds like a great scenario idea !!!

Although its quite a sandbox you are offering your players, if they are Good RP'ers (or anything like me) you should expect some totally off-plan gaming.
    Yes, always prepare for your players to find some way to kick you off-plan! The Scenario idea is awesome and I approve!

Scout

The first mission so far has gone better than expected. I have had to go a little out of the box, but it hasn't gone too bad. Their creativity with solving the problems I pose has been outstanding, and their roleplaying is excellent. The group is composed of a Word Bearer, a Tzeentchian Sorcerer, and a Khorne Berserker. The interaction between the Sorcerer and Berserker has been spot-on perfect, considering the opposing gods.

I agree that my idea was a little sandbox, but I ended up writing up a compact after my first post. They have four main missions: destroy the power station, destroy the communication station, invade the spaceport and shut down the weapon batteries, and then escape with a ship. The missions are a little more detailed, but I'm basing them on how they finish each previous one.

The hardest part has been, more or less, keeping it at the right level of challenging for combat. The core rulebook for Black Crusade doesn't have a lot to offer in terms of enemies, besides daemons. I'm thinking of introducing a Commissar or Tech Priest as the main enemy for them to face at the end.

I'll keep everyone posted on how this progresses.

Quote Originally Posted by HiveFleetSatan View Post
    The first mission so far has gone better than expected. I have had to go a little out of the box, but it hasn't gone too bad. Their creativity with solving the problems I pose has been outstanding, and their roleplaying is excellent.
    Good stuff, that is what its all about.

Quote Originally Posted by HiveFleetSatan View Post
    The hardest part has been, more or less, keeping it at the right level of challenging for combat. The core rulebook for Black Crusade doesn't have a lot to offer in terms of enemies, besides daemons. I'm thinking of introducing a Commissar or Tech Priest as the main enemy for them to face at the end.

I'll keep everyone posted on how this progresses.
    Nice, it shouldn't be too difficult to stat up a convincing adversary. Give them plenty of Mooks to kill too !

Good Luck & Have Fun