Thread: Wolf chariots and bases

Wolf chariots and bases

Yeah, so I searched and didn't find it, sorry if it's been addressed already. Easy, really, and nothing new since last edition but regardless, I've decided to look into it now, so here goes:
    Chariots go on chariot bases now. What if I give 3 wolves to a goblin chariot? I'm pretty certain it's not covered anywhere in the rules, so what do you think? Try and squeeze three wolves on a base (I've done pretty much that up till now, it can look alright if yo think it through), or would you make a special base (75mm wide), considering there is no such base anywhere in the game?

Chapter Master theunwantedbeing's Avatar

Re: Wolf chariots and bases

The screaming bell base is 60mm wide, which should be just enough to allow a third wolf to fit.
    Plan B kill it with fire
    Meat is Murder tasty, tasty murder
    Quote Originally Posted by RanaldLoec View Post
    I would have to agree with The Unwantedbeing as he is a paragon of sense and reason in an unreasonable environment.

The Bureaucracy of Anarchy with the Space Monkeys in the Mischief Committee of Project Mayhem.

They do sell this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	m1183892_99110209041_O&GGromMain_445x319.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	42.5 KB 
ID:	139012

And you got this joker too:

Name:	m1760071a_99110207110_Settra_445x319.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	51.0 KB 
ID:	139013
    Wear a monocle and Bob Schieffer will laugh at you on the evening news.

Hurricanes are not the best way to keep crime down, Mr. Bloomberg.

“Well, I’ve got two pythons and a tiny guy in a rhinoceros costume with an obsession with disco,”

Quote Originally Posted by FashaTheDog View Post
    They do sell this:
    Yeah, Grom the Pauch's chariot has 3 25 mm by 50 mm bases side by side forming the front, so it's effective footsize would be 75 mm by 100 mm. As for a single base... I don't know what to suggest. Personally, I would just make one (or not and say I did).

Edit: Sorry, it should have been twice as long.
    Last edited by AMWOOD co; 28-04-2012 at 16:06.
    "That's one man's opinion." Sign off quote from local retired radio announcer Rick Smith

iWAAAGH! Yup, we've got an Orc for dat.

Don't the new demigryphs come on funky 50x75mm bases or something? That sounds like it might be the easiest approach.
    "Three months? I'm going to go crazy …and I'm taking you with me!"
    — Vala Mal Doran

Quote Originally Posted by FashaTheDog View Post
    They do sell this:

Name:	m1183892_99110209041_O&GGromMain_445x319.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	42.5 KB 
ID:	139012

And you got this joker too:

Name:	m1760071a_99110207110_Settra_445x319.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	51.0 KB 
ID:	139013
    But Grom's chariot (the chariot itself I mean) isn't based at all, it's no different than a regular wolf chariot, it's just the wolf bases. The TK one is interesting, but it works because it's 4, not 3...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Rose View Post
    Don't the new demigryphs come on funky 50x75mm bases or something? That sounds like it might be the easiest approach.
    It would be the same as with Grom, it's easer to just use 3 cavalry bases then, and that still leaves the chariot unbased, which is what I don't want.
    I think I'll just wait for the plastic kit, it can't be more than a year or two away
    Last edited by Urgat; 28-04-2012 at 12:42.

Banned

Mmm... would not be to unrealistic to expect new wolfriders, and at that time a chariot as well within the forseeable future, as the Fenrisian wolves looks very much like they are made to easily take riders.

Dry-fitting and testing around with a conversion a while ago I found that there is no issue at all fitting three wolves to a 50mm frontage base, and there is no instructions either way to whether they should go up in width, over still being "a chariot" on "a chariot base"... but in the end I decided those extra points for a S3 attack wasn't worth it anyway. Feels a lot like it is one of those options kept in the list for those that have old models, rather than being actually that 'usefull', or neccearily something they will make a new model for (like barding for Empire outriders).

Though if you really, really want a 75mm wide, three wolf chariot, it is not that hard to glue bases together and aply a little bit of greenstuff in the gap. Or look to other manufacturers, should not be too hard to find some of suitable size, scenic or plain.
    Last edited by Scalebug; 28-04-2012 at 15:54.

The Bureaucracy of Anarchy with the Space Monkeys in the Mischief Committee of Project Mayhem.

Would GW's only official three wolf chariot model not be the best way to go until the fabled plastic version arrives or does the purchase of Grom require that you must divine the designer's intention as to how to make it fit on a chariot base? If it is the latter, then Settra might be inspiration enough where you have a half cavalry base added to each side or put one off one side and have the chariot off center. Conversely, you could just convert a standard two wolf model (which also does not have a chariot base) into a three wolf deal but pushing the two wolves aside as much as you can and modify the central pole so that a third wolf leads from the front (putting the wolves in a ^ shape). That would still be cramped, but it would make it fit better along the short length. An alternative, and one that is of typical Greenskin goofy practicality, would be to put the third wolf on a rack off the back of the chariot, kind of like a spare tire; you could even have a "wolf case" where you take a tear shaped blob of green stuff, mount a wolf head on it and putty it up to look like the wolf is in a papoose.
    Wear a monocle and Bob Schieffer will laugh at you on the evening news.

Hurricanes are not the best way to keep crime down, Mr. Bloomberg.

“Well, I’ve got two pythons and a tiny guy in a rhinoceros costume with an obsession with disco,”

No official rule, as the model you describe isn't supplied by GW. So any reasonable modeling will most likely be allowed.