Thread: Yay I win! Err... Sorry dudes (Beating you own army)

Yay I win! Err... Sorry dudes (Beating you own army)

After finally beating a friend of mine, we decided to swap armies. While I won again, I am not sure if the victory is really something to celebrate It was my dudes that got beat after all.

So should I cheer that I beat my friend in a friendly game and be content till next time, or should I be worried that my dudes are some how lacking?

Thoughts and peoples experience with this please.

Re: Yay I win! Err... Sorry dudes (Beating you own army)

Let me see if I understand you correctly. You are basically asking if it's the player who wins the game or his army? If that's not it I don't see a question.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorbad Ironclaw View Post
    Let me see if I understand you correctly. You are basically asking if it's the player who wins the game or his army? If that's not it I don't see a question.
    Asking both... plus I tend to have some attachment to my armies, as I spend ages writing up a background before starting a list.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Gorbad Ironclaw View Post
    It seems like he's asking whether he should feel good that he won both games.. or feel bad that (if his opponent lost with his own army, then lost against his army with the army that beat him) is who he plays against (because if you lose against your army.. when using an army that beat your army before unless it was down to terrible dice rolls, theres obviously some tactical problems)

I say,, if you feel bad,, offer them help make them better and then games will be tougher

Generally I would, but my friend is a lot better at the game than me. After a dozen or so beatings, I feel like gloating... but I beat my own list, which kind of sucks. Even more so as he conceded, which adds a bit of insult to injury.

I will admit that my IG have been tailored to my style of play (a big heavy slow hammer) so probably hampered him, while his lists are quite flexible.

Hang on... you won with your army. Then you won with your opponents army. Sounds to me like the losing factor was your opponent, not the army he was using.
    Though my guards may sleep and ships may lie at anchor, our foes know full well that big guns never tire.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    If you really want to see a god of murder, keep going with the off topic

I always wanted to make a tournament where each match up was against your army using your opponets. The "worst" army would win, by being beatable by everyone. The only problem that i came up with was how many people get when other people are touching their figures. The rules would include things to prevent the Iconless daemon horde from CSM, and the like.
    Who knows, maybe your army is bad, and it should loss most of the time to most opponents. I would not celebrate the 2nd win as much as I'd celebrate the 1st one.

Quote Originally Posted by Commissar Davis View Post
    Generally I would, but my friend is a lot better at the game than me. After a dozen or so beatings, I feel like gloating... but I beat my own list, which kind of sucks. Even more so as he conceded, which adds a bit of insult to injury.
    Yeah, I see the problem. Effectively you're feeling like the list you wrote just sucks, since your friend wasn't able to beat you with it, and he implied that there was no point in giving it his best by conceding. So you feel like you wrote a bad list. So why not focus on the fact that you also won with that list, proving that it's effectively just as good as his, just maybe not to his playstyle like you say?

I will admit that my IG have been tailored to my style of play so probably hampered him, while his lists are quite flexible.
    This probably has to do with it more than anything. Each player knows their own army's weaknesses, but not everyone knows how to capitalize on those weaknesses especially if it's using an army they aren't used to playing with.

What army was your opponent's army (the one you used to beat your own IG)? If he's used to a fast army like Saim Hann, an elite force like Grey Knights, or a stabfest like Tyranids, then it should be no surprise why he struggled with a horde of lasguns and flak armour. You did say he conceded, so maybe he wasn't trying very hard from Turn 1?

Quote Originally Posted by LegioDestructor View Post
    This probably has to do with it more than anything. Each player knows their own army's weaknesses, but not everyone knows how to capitalize on those weaknesses especially if it's using an army they aren't used to playing with.

What army was your opponent's army (the one you used to beat your own IG)? If he's used to a fast army like Saim Hann, an elite force like Grey Knights, or a stabfest like Tyranids, then it should be no surprise why he struggled with a horde of lasguns and flak armour. You did say he conceded, so maybe he wasn't trying very hard from Turn 1?
    He has about 2-3k+ points of everything but SoB. I got to use his necrons, and a slightly simplified version of what he would normally take, as I have never used them before... though I may consider starting them.

I actually do this often, swap armies with an opponent who decries my use of "cheese". Then they're suddenly surprised when they discover how I take my own army apart piece by piece. I'm still proud of it when I win, for the duration of the game my own army is the enemy, and must be destroyed.

When facing your own army and beat it, it's not that it's lacking, it's that you intimately know it's weaknesses and exploit that.
    Dark Lancers Renegade Astartes Chapter, Chaos Space Marines - 7,000pts [For Sale!]
    The Undead Scourge, Vampire Counts - 2,500pts [log]
    Averland State Army, Empire - 3,000pts [log]

Warhammer 40k or Fantasy player in North Wales? PM me!

Commander

This reminds me of the time I played in a 1500 point tournament at a GW store when 4th Edition first came out. My army was Crimson Fists Space marines with one allied squad of Grey Knights in power armor (in the now-defunct Daemonhunters codex, you could include units from that Codex as an allied unit to your Imperial army). My first opponent was playing a Lost and the Damned army, with mainly traitor Imperial Guardsman and one really cool old Land Raider. I ended up wiping almost his entire army off the board. The second game was against Black Templars, and that was a draw. In the third game, everyone played the same opponent they played in the first game, but we all switched armies - so I ended up playing that guy's Lost and the Damned army, and he played my Space Marines with allied Grey Knights. Surprisingly, I still managed to beat him, but this game wasn't quite the massacre as the first game where I had my own army. The guy was a great sport, and I downplayed my victory by pointing out my unusually lucky dice rolling (I'm pretty sure I had good dice rolls). Anyway, we were both far more interested in looking at each other's armies. I was quite fascinated with that old style Land Raider, as I had never seen one before. In that tournament, I ended up winning the prize for best looking army, and (if I recall correctly), the Lost and the Damned player got the prize for best sportsman.
    Paranoia isn't necessarily a bad thing. If you think they are out to get you, it means you think you matter.