Thread: 2000 Chaos Dwarfs vs Orcs

2000 Chaos Dwarfs vs Orcs

So yesterday I played my second game ever with Chaos Dwarfs. What a game! I thought I would walk away from there with a solid victory, only to lose in the last couple of turns. I made mistakes, but the mistake that cost me the game was so monumentally stupid, I cannot tell it to you now, you’ll have to read the battle report.

My List:

Sorcerer Prophet LVL 3
    Enchanted shield
    Luckstone
    Dispel scroll

BSB
    Stone mantle
    Dragon helm
    Double handed weapon

Khan
    Wolf, LA, S, Spear

Khan
    Wolf, LA, S, Spear

29 Infernal guard
    Full command
    War banner

20 hobgoblin archers (used my WE archers)
    Full command

Magma cannon

Death shrieker (used his rock lobber model)

5 k’daii fireburners (used zombies on monster bases, all I had)

K’daii destroyer (just used an empty base)

His List:

Black orc warlord
    100 point armour (D3 T and impact hits)

LVL 4 Goblin Shaman

BSB
    Some magic fighty stuff

Orc Hero
    Magic sword, +1S, +1A and armour piercing

60+ Big’un Orcs
    Full Command

40+ Black Orcs
    Full Command
    War banner

3 chariots (not sure if orc or goblin)

4 spear chukkas

So before the game started I told him this was basically my “A” list and not to feel bad if he lost. Did I ever eat my words! He told me his 60+ orc unit has single handily won him every game. Yes you read that right, he has not yet lost with this list. He said he once had a game were his unit killed a horde of chaos warriors, then moved on to a horde of marauders, and finished off some monsters. The rest of his army didn’t get to fight. He also mentioned how his black orc lord has killed 500+ point vampire lords and chaos lords. So here we go!

Deployment is so-so. From my left to right, k’daii fireburners, infernal guard, k’daii destroyer, death shrieker, magma cannon and propher behind that, and then hobgoblin archers and 2 wolves.
    His army is, from my left to right, black orcs, his LVL 4 gobbo, horde of orcs, 3 chariots and 4 spear chukkas.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00835-20120430-1815.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	312.2 KB 
ID:	139306

Name:	IMG00836-20120430-1815.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	337.0 KB 
ID:	139307

I roll for magic. End up with signature, #1 and #6. he gets 3D6 S3 hits, -D6 to movement and I hex, and unit gets poison attacks, and something else that I don’t think he used.

He gets first turn.

Turn 1.

He of course moves everything up. Magic is uneventful.

My first turn.

Move wolves to take on spear chukkas. Move infernal guard move to help k’dai fireburners take on black orcs.
    Magic. Cast #6 spell. Kill almost 20 guys (this spell is good!). Large template, S6, D6 wounds, flaming. Problem is it scatters, but I rolled a hit this time.
    Shooting. Magma kills 1 chariot, other chariots fail panic and flee. Death shrieker takes out about 8 black orcs. Not a bad first turn.

Name:	IMG00839-20120430-1847.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	354.0 KB 
ID:	139308Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00840-20120430-1847.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	344.1 KB 
ID:	139309

Turn 2.

Rallies chariots.
    Charges his “invinsible, kills all comers” unit into my k’daii destroyer. Shuffles his black orcs so neither infernal guard or fireburners are in his flank.

His magic. Uneventful.
    Shooting. Kills one khan on wolf with spear chukkas (one spear chukka blows itself up).
    Hand to hand. He does his impact hits with his lord. 0 wounds. I flame him. Kill 2. I roll D3 for frenzy, get +3A. Roll. Inflict 4 wounds. He attacks with a million attacks. 0 wounds. I stomp 3 more. I win combat. He’s shocked! His words, “this is the first time this unit has ever charged anything and not won combat.” He only loses by 2, and with the BSB easily makes the break test.

My turn.

Movement. Charge spear chukka with remaining wolf. Reform hobgoblins to flank orcs. Move infernal guard to support k’daii fireburners.
    Magic. Kill about 15 black orcs with #6 spell again.
    Shooting. Kill another chariot with magma. Death shrieker scatters.
    H2H. wolf kills spear chukka and runs into next one.
    My K’daii flames and kills 1. not great but NP. Get +2A from frenzy. Hit 3 times. Ok? Roll 2 wounds, he parries one. So 1 wound. Ok? His lord attacks, gets 1 wound I save it. I now need a big stomp. Roll a 2, both wound, he parries another. Total wounds 3. out of over 12 hits, I get 3 wounds? Ok, NP. Destroyer loses 1 wound due to instability, but not worried, hobgoblins there.

Name:	IMG00843-20120430-1913.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	379.2 KB 
ID:	139310Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00844-20120430-1913.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	314.6 KB 
ID:	139311

Turn 3.

Charges my k’daii fire burners with his black orcs (this was a mistake on my part, I did not want to get charged as I knew I wouldn’t win, but didn’t bother measuring how far he was, so left them there instead of moving them back).

His magic. Casts -D6 to movement and initiative on my fireburners. Uses 4 dice and rolls high. What do I do? I know he has a spell that inflicts poison attacks. I use my dispel scroll. Why? Why would I do that? Did a suffer from a minor stroke and forgot he had this spell? So know, he casts (of course) poison attacks on his orcs fighting my destroyer. Oh-oh. Uses 4 dice. Gets 25! I use my 4 dispell dice and get two 1s, a 2 and a 3. Nice. NP I think, he can’t possibly kill my destroyer right?
    H2H. My wolf kills next spear chukka, runs into next one.
    His black orcs have 30 S7 attacks. Please say that outloud to yourself, 3 0 s t r e n g t h 7 a t t a c k s. even though my fireburners do ok, they of course then get wiped out without the black orcs breaking a sweat. He reforms to face my infernal guard.
    Now the BIG ONE! I roll my flaming. 0 wounds. Ok NP. I get +2A for frenzy. Roll to hit, 3 hits. Roll to wound, 2 wounds. He save one. Ok? What’s going on here? He rolls to his, 4 6s come up. NP, I got a 4+ ward right? I make 0 saves. Ok? His general attacks. 5 hits. Rolld to wound, 5 wounds. I roll me ward save, 0 saves. My k’daii dies horribly. I knew he would eventually against that many guys, but he should have survived one more turn, so that I could get my hobgoblins into his flank. But no dice. He reforms to face my warmachines and general. Now I’m in trouble.

My turn.

Charge his black orcs with my infernal guard. Move my general as fast as his little dwarfish legs will carry him Use my hobgoblins to bait his orcs, the whole while thinking, “ya right he’s not that stupid, I have 550 points worth of warmachines and my general sitting there, why would he charge my 100 point gobbos?”

Magic, uneventful.
    Shooting, shoot everything at orcs sitting infront of me. Kill about another 10-15 models. He only have about 12 guys left and his general and BSB. Even he says at this point, “never seen this unit this low on guys before.”
    H2H. kill his last spear chukka. My infernal guard attack! Inflict 2 wounds. NP. He attacks back, inflicts 1! I win by 2. he takes break test . . . fails! Runs 7 inches. I roll to persue . . . 10! Even with -1, I get a 9 and catch them. Unit wiped out.
    This is what he had to say “that unit has never died before. This is the first time I lost that unit.”

Name:	IMG00847-20120430-1951.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	327.1 KB 
ID:	139314Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00846-20120430-1933.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	376.5 KB 
ID:	139313Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00845-20120430-1933.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	377.4 KB 
ID:	139312Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00848-20120430-1951.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	386.3 KB 
ID:	139315

Turn 4.

He declares charges. Good bye 550 points of warmachines and general . . . wait, what did you just say? Did you just say your going to charge my 100 point hobgoblin unit?!?!?!?!? Do I have a chance to shoot you for 1 more turn and get my general out of here? Can I possibly turn this into victory?
    What? What? What did I just say? Did I just say I’m going to flee with my hobgoblins?!?!?!?!?!? Did those words just leave my mouth?!?!?!?!?!?! Did he just redirect into my death shrieker?!?!?!?!?!?! And that momentary lapse of what I call common sense cost me the game. He of course ruins the death shrieker (destroying the warmachine, not just killing the crew) over runs into my magma cannon and general (who were perfectly in line so that he can touch both bases) where his general casually picks up my sorcerer prophet by his beard, twirls him around, throws him into the air, and then catches him with his sword.

Not much to say after that. Gobos rally, inflict a couple of wounds to shooting. He has like 8 orcs left with his general and BSB. Over 1000 points just sitting there, that I could have killed if I only had a brain.

Hope you all enjoyed it!
    One of Portents first 500 members. If you don't know what that is, than I might be too old to be still playing this game!
    My Chaos Dwarf Army Blog:
    http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/sh....php?tid=11436
    My Chaos Space Marine (Slaanesh) Blog:
    http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...=1#post6611676

You do not think the destroyer is over kill at only 2k ?? You could have gotten some Bulk Centaurs and more hobgoblins.
    "just make the Base size reasonable" go go 100mm by 100mm!

"they cannot stop the signal-!"

Re: 2000 Chaos Dwarfs vs Orcs

Quote Originally Posted by TsukeFox View Post
    You do not think the destroyer is over kill at only 2k ?? You could have gotten some Bulk Centaurs and more hobgoblins.
    ya i could have gone that way, but i wanted to try the destroyer and i knew he wasn't going to hold back any punches. so far i think it is good, but i haven't seen anything yet to make me think it's over the top.
    One of Portents first 500 members. If you don't know what that is, than I might be too old to be still playing this game!

That was a fun read. Sorry to hear about your lapse in judgement, happens to everyone sometimes. I think you should have a rematch with those lists again at some point.
    My goal for the year is to get another 100 models painted.
    So far I haven't touched a brush.

Quote Originally Posted by bluemage View Post
    That was a fun read. Sorry to hear about your lapse in judgement, happens to everyone sometimes. I think you should have a rematch with those lists again at some point.
    ya, i also want a rematch!

Just an FYI - in your Turn 2 you mention that you got two stomp wounds and he parries one. Stomp wounds cannot be parried.

Quote Originally Posted by hamsterwheel View Post
    Just an FYI - in your Turn 2 you mention that you got two stomp wounds and he parries one. Stomp wounds cannot be parried.
    really? cause he was doing that eveytime and saved a fair number (more then average i might add). i will remember that. i think i might want a rematch!