View Poll Results: What most motivates you to buy?

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • Size of the model and quality of the sculpt?

26 33.33%
  • Because they're fun to build and/or paint?

36 46.15%
  • Because they're fun to play games with?

8 10.26%
  • Because they're a competitive gaming choice?

1 1.28%
  • Because you need to start or complete a collection?

7 8.97%
  • To support or save a company, because if you don't buy the models, who will?

0 0%

Thread: What (most) motivates you to buy miniatures?

What (most) motivates you to buy miniatures?

What would you say is the primary reason you buy miniatures now?

Is it...

1) Size of the model and quality of the sculpt?
    2) Because they're fun to build and/or paint?
    3) Because they're fun to play games with?
    4) Because they're a competitive gaming choice?
    5) Because you need to start or complete a collection?
    6) To support or save a company, because if you don't buy the models, who will?

Despite the forum I've posted in, I don't mean for this question to be specific to Games Workshop. Mods may move the thread as they please.
    Quote Originally Posted by Herzlos View Post
    If the Catachan Arm Monster became codex legal I'd have a full army
    A little Plog (Updated September 2, 2013)

Re: What (most) motivates you to buy miniatures?

generally if a model has fun rules like shokk attack guns or monoliths I buy them.
    if their fun to build comes in a close second though
    is rumored to be an indoctrinated necron slave

Quote Originally Posted by Maarten K
    everybody knows thats dwarves and elves are the male and female versions of the same race, hence the perceived lack of female dwarves and testosteron toting elves, plus their constant bickering....

I really wish you'd left an other reasons option. For me its a combinations of whether or not I like the look, background or theme of the model as well as what its impact on the game will be. That doesnt nessesarily mean that the model has to be "competitive", in fact if the models rules are broken or overpowered that will actualy be a turn off for me. I'm not going to buy an expensive model or set of models that perform the same role in an army as other models that I already own or does the models' rules mesh with my playstyle.

Ease of assembly isn't an issue for me. I've been a hobbiest for 28 years now and have worked with model kits ranging from resins, plastics and metals to woods and dense foams. However the older I've gotten the less time I have to spend on my hobby and I would rather be spending that time painting and playing than assembling and converting.
    The 5 Rules of Page 5 - MKII
    1) Thou Shalt Not Whine
    2) Come Heavy Or Don't Come At All
    3) Give As Good As You Get
    4) Win Graciously And Lose Valiantly
    5) Page 5 Is Not An Excuse

I voted for option 1, translating it as "'cause they're pretty."
    EmperorNorton's Overabundance of Projects Log

2012 Minis bought: 363 - - - Minis painted: 373
    2013 Minis bought: 1060 - - - Minis painted: 210
    2014 Minis bought: 619 - - - Minis painted: 63

These days, it's primarily about the quality of the model (which begs the question of why I sculpt so many of my own. )

The background and being interesting on the table (but interesting does not mean "poorly balanced") may get me considering a model, but it still needs to be a good model.
    I've often gone on a search for other models when the "official" model for a nice option isn't to my taste, and I'll also buy models which have horrible fluff/rules but which are just nice (and then usually have them as display or as another unit option).
    -Inquisitor Marco Robert Skoll.

Hell (also known as Selby, North Yorkshire)

For me the principal motivations are looks & cost.

I don't game, so I don't really care what a models rules are, I just care about what the model looks like - does it have the WOW!! factor that makes me want it really, really badly, or is it just so/so. Then comes cost - do I think that the miniature is worth the price? this is subjective of course, but if I think it's too much, then forget it.
    War does not determine who is right - only who is left (Bertrand Russell).

War is a continuation of politics by other means (Karl von Clausewitz)

For me It is a mix of the top two choices. If they are good in a game it helps,but I have plenty of pretty figures for games that I don't/wont play.

I would've liked this poll to allow multiple choices. I picked "fun to build and paint" because that's probably top for me. #1 and #3 are also factors, however, with a slight touch of #4 and #5. While I won't buy models for the reason in #6, I will deliberately pay a little more to local gamestores and buy locally rather than buy online. My FLGSs provide gaming space and a social community framework, and I want them to do well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Atrahasis View Post
    Ours is not to reason why, ours is but to glue and buy.
    Quote Originally Posted by FraustyTheSnowman View Post
    Anything else I have to say has already been said by Col Shaw...listen to the lego man, he's wise.
    "Ember of Dreams"
    http://www.amazon.com/Ember-Dreams-C...0408773&sr=1-1

combination of 1 and 2, but I voted2.
    Can't get any games nowadays but found I still love building, converting and painting so carried on.
    "every year spring has sprung, but why oh why has it never tangled and broken like a well used slinky?"

Quote Originally Posted by Chiron View Post
    its in the very rare edition of the bible, along with the line "Its Hammertime" as he gets off the cross and smites Romans...

A combination of
    2) Because they're fun to build and/or paint (though this overlaps heavily with 1))
    3) Because they're fun to play games with
    4) Because they're a competitive gaming choice

Mine goes in this order:
    1) Does the model look really cool? I have never had an Orc army but I have a Goblin Doom Diver just because I love the model.
    2) Is it for an army I actually play?
    3) Does it have cool and/or useful rules?

I wanted to say 2, but my own buying habits say 1 (which, like EmperorNorton, I translated to "cause they're pretty"). I tend to enjoy building and painting various things, but my money gets thrown at things that look pretty. I've assembled some nightmare models because the end product looked good - I definitely can't say I enjoyed building things like metal Cyclops Savages from PP.

Rules might matter a little, though if I hate the model I'm going to avoid the entry. People might go on and on about the Necron Ghost Ark, but I'm not rushing to add it as I'm not a fan of that build from the kit. The Empire might have a fine time with knights, but I'm not buying tin cans on war-shetlands.
    ...and a little help comes in a little glass vial in a gun pressed against her anatomy...

Things I'd love to do if I had limitless money: a new Salamanders army for 40K; a new Dark Elf army for Fantasy; an Emperor's Children force for HH *sigh*

Quote Originally Posted by EmperorNorton View Post
    I voted for option 1, translating it as "'cause they're pretty."
    Yep exactly. Whats the point in it being fun to build, if its a horrible looking model?
    Some men, just want to watch the world burn.

The miniatures I buy usually have at least one of the following criterias fulfilled:
    - Great sculpt
    - Part of a army I play
    - Could be used to convert something from a army I play

So I voted for the first, though I do not care at all about the size. I have a Chimera smaller than a Chaos Steed, I'd take as big as the chicken dragon just as well.
    Look upon us and Despair, for we are the End, the Decay of all things, the horror of rot and the blessing of plague.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Damocles View Post
    There's your problem. One person's 'sensible and popular' is another person's Codex: Grey Knights.

7) None of the above?

My model purchases these days are usually made when inspiration strikes me. I can be from a picture of a cool looking thing, or more often i'll read a piece of fiction and be inspired to start picking up some models to paint. Afterwards i try to figure out just what the feth i'm going to use what i've bought for and try to cobble together a playable armylist.
    Now that i'm approaching five figures worth of Daemons the whole "will this enhance my army?" or even "is this part of my chosen race?" aspect of things has become far, far less important to my choosing what to buy.
    Your Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-pope
    Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor Shego View Post
    Killing his captain is meh. Killing his Primarch? Hell, that goes on a resume
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfblade670 View Post
    Spider-pope, Spider-pope, does whatever a Spider-pope does. Can he swing into a thread? Of course he can, 'cause he's the Pope. Lookout, its the Spider pope...
    Read about my terrible luck gaming and iffy painting on my blog