Thread: Epic gaming moments

Epic gaming moments

I was just wondering about any stories that you guys have about epic moments during your games. Like a lone warrior accomplishing something amazing that was against all odds.
    For example just recently one of my lone woodelf bowmen was fighting a troll with one wound left, it not only won the fight but killed the troll! Much my and my opponents amusement as this also broke his force!
    So let's hear some crazy stories!

Re: Epic gaming moments

It seems to me that the SBG is made for those totally off the odds situations to occur.

I can't count the number of times where the unexpected trooper manages to pull off a completely heroic action, but amongst my favorite moments, I do remember a group of mordor orcs with two handed weapons (around 6) being surrounded but refusing to die vs better equipped men (like 20) for many turns. More often it's just one guy that stands out, but that time it was a small group.

I also remember gnashing my teeth at a lone rohirim warrior fending off an uruk berzerker and a couple of uruks afterward on the ladder of helm's deep. The brat actually survived the game. (granted defending is easier, but still!).
    Last edited by Oakwolf; 06-05-2012 at 04:16.

BloodBowl: Dark Elf, Vampires, Necromantics, Norse
    LotR: Easterlings, Mordor, Rohan
    WhFB: Slaanesh demonic legion
    Mordheim: Undead, Marienburgers, Cult of Slaanesh, Pirates.
    Necromunda: Escher
    40k: I saw centurions and then realized i was too old for this setting.

Librarian

I've seen that kind of thing a lot in BattleTech, but haven't played enough of SBG to recognize what is normal for the unit and what is epic. For instance, I was using Elrond's warband against some Easterling cavalry led by one of the Nazgul. Threw out Nature's wrath, which he failed to resist, and knocked down all of the horesmen. Took them all out, Nazgul included, in one round by swarming them on the ground.... not sure if that's normal or not.

That's pretty great!^ considering all the will the nazgul has!

Chapter Master Whitwort Stormbringer's Avatar

I've been playing SBG since its release, but I can't recall any truly epic moments in our games. We've had a few pretty cool and surprising twists mid-game, but not unbelievably unlikely. Stuff like a powerful hero successfully fighting his way through hordes of goblins and that.

I did once have an elven captain on the receiving end of a charge from Sharku (mounted), and he won and killed Sharku (who obviously failed his Fate roll) in a single turn. Not necessarily an "against all odds" moment, but a cool image for the orc to ride up and get swiftly decapitated. Put a bit of a damper on the rest of the game for my brother who was running the orcs.

We did also have Farmer maggot successfully fend off three warg-riders once. The fact that it's one hobbit against some orcs makes it seem a little less epic, even if the odds were stacked heavily against him.
    The great thing about the dwarves is that, even though there's this comic element, when they fight - they really fight!

My infrequently updated nerd blog.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir77 View Post
    That's pretty great!^ considering all the will the nazgul has!
    I certainly thought so.
    Same game, I had Angbor backed up by Minas Tirith Archers blitzkrieg through Amdur's forces and in a couple of rounds Amdur was dead too. I was shocked. I didn't expect him to perform that well.

I love it when the above things happen, I played a battle yesterday - Moria's evils pouring out against some Ents and such. The watcher was involved (beast of a model) but I sent Treebeard and my Hornbeam ent toward it. Custom rules I believe but Hornbeam is an ent plus 30 points which gives it defense 10 and 4 wounds, a walking (and expensive) tank! I was happily batting away all the little goblins, took me 3 turns to kill the watcher but we did and survived, Hornbeam had 1 wound left after it all which I thought was fine seeing as the remaining goblins provided no real threat. Literally the first Gobbo he came into combat with after killing the watcher, a lone goblin spearman... Killed him... Somehow. I watched in horror as my opponent rolled 6 to win the combat... 6 to hit... 6 to wound... the second 6 to wound (it needed 6/6)... I was sure that was a glitch in the matrix right there. Damn. Hats off to that Goblin. My friend, out of honour of this heroic action, has actually started converting that model ("promoting it") into a goblin shaman. Gotta love it.

Another example was when one of my lovely Khazad Guard Dwarfs, all by his lonesome - managed to hold back 3 spider queens for 3 turns in a previous game of "domination" allowing the rest of my force enough time to capture the objectives. What a brave and somehow unkillable dwarf.
    Tabletop Miniatures Painting Service: www.greendragonpainting.co.uk/

Played the Balins Tomb scenario last night (from Rulebook, not Mines of Moria) and Sam was a monster. He got surrounded by Goblins and 5 rounds in a row he won combat, forced them back and was killing one every turn, two of which had armour and shields. My opponent was employing some rather choice curses by the end of it
    Quote Originally Posted by Boreas_NL View Post
    If I should add Sylvanians, they will act purely as cannon-fodder... Just like the Vampire Counts did..
    Quote Originally Posted by Starlight on Chaos Dreadnoughts View Post
    Who says they 'go' insane...? Did you ever stop to think that maybe this is the natural and expected consequence of putting a raving loonie in a metal box and strapping weapons to it...?
    The blog of my eternally wandering mind - I do commissions. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.