Thread: How do daemonic heralds work?

How do daemonic heralds work?

I dont own the army book so I dont really have an easily available source for reference which is why im asking here.

So basically how do heralds work? Is it a case of, for example, you buy a Tzeentch herald and he can be placed in any unit like bloodletters and he conveys a +1 to their ward save? Or is he stuck with only being able to give this bonus to units of his god? Ive always thought it was the first but I just wanted some confirmation after a game I played the other week.
    Children are fine, it's parents I fear. They will tell an entire species it needs to die in order to preserve their sense of self-importance; regardless of if it will actually benefit the child. And in this we see that most perverse element of human nature; a selfish greed that treats even it's own offspring as a bargaining chip with which to affirm the ego and the self. Proliferation without consideration.

Re: How do daemonic heralds work?

Heralds cannot join a unit of an opposing God. Furthermore, the Locus only applied to the basic Daemons found in the Core section.

IE- Herald of Tzeentch can only join a Tzeentch-marked unit. If this unit happens to be Horrors, they recieve a 4+ Ward until the Herald leaves / dies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimshawl View Post
    Sweet! An even more crappy White Dwarf magazine, and some people said it couldnt be done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spider-pope View Post
    GW's spelling mistakes killed my father.

Chapter Master

Well the Locus applies to some Daemonic units in the Special and Rare section as well.
    Seekers of Slaanesh and Bloodcrushers of Khorne are both susceptible to their respective Herald's Locus.
    Indeed, there's nothing by RAW preventing you to also apply the Locus on units like Flamers and FleshHounds... but that's not how people play it.
    Quote Originally Posted by The bearded one View Post
    additionally the new daemon book is like a pox you wouldn't even wish on your worst adversary
    Batreps and Painting

Thanks for the information . Good thing I asked....appears my assumption was thankfully wrong; you cant mix and match heralds.

Oh while im here how does daemonic instability work? Is the LD modified by what they lost by and then they take a LD test and take wounds equal to what they failed by? Also does steadfast come into play here as it would for a normal unit's break test?
    Last edited by Andy p; 05-05-2012 at 19:42.
    Children are fine, it's parents I fear. They will tell an entire species it needs to die in order to preserve their sense of self-importance; regardless of if it will actually benefit the child. And in this we see that most perverse element of human nature; a selfish greed that treats even it's own offspring as a bargaining chip with which to affirm the ego and the self. Proliferation without consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by Mozzamanx View Post
    Heralds cannot join a unit of an opposing God. Furthermore, the Locus only applied to the basic Daemons found in the Core section.

IE- Herald of Tzeentch can only join a Tzeentch-marked unit. If this unit happens to be Horrors, they recieve a 4+ Ward until the Herald leaves / dies.
    Not necesserally. A herlad with bloodcrushers still provides hatred as the locust ability stated bloodletters in the unit and there are bloodletters on top of bloodcrushers.

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by Andy p View Post
    Oh while im here how does daemonic instability work? Is the LD modified by what they lost by and then they take a LD test and take wounds equal to what they failed by? Also does steadfast come into play here as it would for a normal unit's break test?
    Yes.

Insane Courage applies too if you a roll a double 1.

I think the writing in the army book together with the current FAQ ought to sort this out clearly for you!
    additionally the new daemon book is like a pox you wouldn't even wish on your worst adversary
    Batreps and Painting

Quote Originally Posted by DaemonReign View Post
    Yes.

Insane Courage applies too if you a roll a double 1.

I think the writing in the army book together with the current FAQ ought to sort this out clearly for you!
    Very true. But im no Daemon player, however I do unfortunately play a few contentious daemon players who seem to argue the toss whenever I bring up a point im sure isn't right....like sticking a herald of Tzeentch in a unit of bloodletters for a 4+ ward.

But since I have a reputation for asking to look at people's rule books im a little nervous of coming across as some overbearing rules judge. For some reason people take it personally when you ask to look at their rule books, as if you dont trust them, which most of the time I dont. So these days I dont ask as much as I should to check things, even though im always polite and never belligerant.

And so on that illogical reasoning, here we are.
    Last edited by Andy p; 06-05-2012 at 00:57.

Chapter Master

Very true. But im no Daemon player, however I do unfortunately play a few contentious daemon players who seem to argue the toss whenever I bring up a point im sure isn't right....like sticking a herald of Tzeentch in a unit of bloodletters for a 4+ ward.

But since I have a reputation for asking to look at people's rule books im a little nervous of coming across as some overbearing rules judge. For some reason people take it personally when you ask to look at their rule books, as if you dont trust them, which most of the time I dont. So these days I dont ask as much as I should to check things, even though im always polite and never belligerant.

And so on that illogical reasoning, here we are.
    Ah.. Got you..

Well in that case it may be good to know that Daemonic 'named' Characters such as Epidemius or Skulltaker do not follow the same restrictions as normal Heralds.. So if you see someone sticking Skulltaker in a unit of Horrors he's actually playing by the rules - as silly and stupid and that may be (and yes it really is an ugly bit of lazy FAQ:ing that bit)

Then again, those named Characters do not have the Locus so.. perhaps no big deal.

Oh.. And the Changeling is a unit-upgrade so if you see that model anywhere outside of a horror-unit pick the model up and step on it.
    And do the same if they join the Masque to a unit.. and here I mean ANY unit.
    Batreps and Painting

Jurassic Park. DUH DUH, DUH DUH! DUDUDUH DU DU DU DUUH!

The tzeentch herald only grants locus to pink horrors, it states specifically in his entry

Ah.. Got you..

Well in that case it may be good to know that Daemonic 'named' Characters such as Epidemius or Skulltaker do not follow the same restrictions as normal Heralds.. So if you see someone sticking Skulltaker in a unit of Horrors he's actually playing by the rules - as silly and stupid and that may be (and yes it really is an ugly bit of lazy FAQ:ing that bit)

Then again, those named Characters do not have the Locus so.. perhaps no big deal.

Oh.. And the Changeling is a unit-upgrade so if you see that model anywhere outside of a horror-unit pick the model up and step on it.
    And do the same if they join the Masque to a unit.. and here I mean ANY unit.
    Ah yes I found out about the Masque* not being able to join units......after someone had just beaten me with a bloodletter horde using a 4+ward save, ASF and the masque in the front rank lol. Oh and he had his flamers at bs 5.......turns out they were 4, he must have been reading the champions profile.

Damn the consequences im just going to go back to asking to look at people's army books so I can see the rules for myself. Im tired of being moaned at just because I want to check and cross-reference, since when did that become frowned upon? It's not as if I do it for every little thing.

*On the subject of the Masque is does it count as a caster? Ill check the FAQ.
    Last edited by Andy p; 06-05-2012 at 13:18.

Chapter Master

Ah yes I found out about the Masque* not being able to join units......after someone had just beaten me with a bloodletter horde using a 4+ward save, ASF and the masque in the front rank lol. Oh and he had his flamers at bs 5.......turns out they were 4, he must have been reading the champions profile.
    Oh dear oh dear...

Damn the consequences im just going to go back to asking to look at people's army books so I can see the rules for myself. Im tired of being moaned at just because I want to check and cross-reference, since when did that become frowned upon? It's not as if I do it for every little thing.
    It's normal procedure. Anyone getting worked up about showing their own Army Book has just taken quite the wrong turn in his reasoning. Doesn't matter what the subject is.. Nobody should give you a hard time over it, ever.

*On the subject of the Masque is does it count as a caster?
    God no. Just no. You won't even find a reference to this in the FAQ (I think) because the answer is just 'No'.
    Batreps and Painting

God no. Just no. You won't even find a reference to this in the FAQ (I think) because the answer is just 'No'.
    Thanks....I thought as much .