Thread: Necron Wraiths: Issues with posing.

Necron Wraiths: Issues with posing.

Yesterday I cracked open a few of the new necron items to begin assembling my new necron expansion.

The walkers were nice and easy to assemble, though I noticed the instructions do a poor job of showing which way up some symmetrical items go, and the pilot is a little late in the assembly stage for my liking.

This paled though in contrast to when I got onto the arms of the wraiths this morning. I attempted to build with the "whip" parts (for whipping...) and found that you cannot place the arms in a reasonable pose with them attached, due to the tiny percentage of angles which don't cause them to contact the body of the wraith.

The kit is otherwise lovely, but I really don't see why this design of whip got through for general sale. I eventually clipped the offending parts off, and with an hours work rigged the "blade" attachment on instead. (I couldn't disassemble the arms by this point without breaking them.) In doing so, I also found that (not unsurprisingly) the whips are super brittle, and several exploded into bits as I removed them.

So. Possibly not much to discuss here (unless someone feels differently, which I can't expect) but a nice little warning for anyone thinking of building the kit.

Re: Necron Wraiths: Issues with posing.

its a shame they got rid of the metal ones... and didnt just release them in FC

I knew those whips would be an issue. I would simply not use them and instead model the arms to end in blades.
    *Things I've Done For Retail Sales *40K Project Log *Fantasy Project Log *Airbrush Information & Advice
    40K Armies: Dark Angels Tau Orks Eldar
    WFB Armies: Vampire Counts Bretonnians High Elves
    Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor Jones
    Epidemus, who, at the battle against Khorne, did righteously shift paradigms with the creation of a goal oriented task force that successfully reallocated Khornate resources into Nurgle driven benefits capable of sustaining them through the next fiscal quarter.

I wouldn't have expected that (the brittle-ness, yes, the posing, no). It looks like they're meant to be curving outwards with the points going up and back...is that how you were attempting to assemble them? I'm just curious what pose you were trying to achieve that was causing issues (haven't got mine yet, so I'm not disagreeing).
    ...and a little help comes in a little glass vial in a gun pressed against her anatomy...

Things I'd love to do if I had limitless money: a new Salamanders army for 40K; a new Dark Elf army for Fantasy; an Emperor's Children force for HH *sigh*

If you have a go at building them, their whips force their arms in front of their faces, in an unwieldy looking pose. Their arms are *meant* to be able to point down, but mostly cannot do this.

*Phew* Makes me glad I bought an extra few of the old Wraiths from Ebay.

My back ground is the Destroyer Lord uses the bodies of ruined Necrons to fashion new bodies to continue to destroy lesser races

Banned

I hated working with the old metal wraiths(what was with that middle join?), so I'm looking forward to putting together the two boxes of new ones I have sitting in front of me. Not keen on the look of the whip thingies, so even though I will be using the rules for them in game, I think I'll just go without 'em...

Make sure you cut off the little peg where the arm connects to the socket, that allows much more freedom when positioning the arm and takes about half a second to do.
    TheDiceAbide.com
    Everything you need to know about WHFB Tactics
    Booze up your game with Beerhammer 40k!
    Latest TDA Article: Chaos Renegade Tactics: Who’s your Demagogue?

40k- Chaos Space Marines (22k), Imperials (15k: IK, GK, SM, AM, MT)
    Fantasy~ Ogre Kingdoms (6k), Wood Elves (5k)

Quote Originally Posted by xxRavenxx View Post
    If you have a go at building them, their whips force their arms in front of their faces, in an unwieldy looking pose. Their arms are *meant* to be able to point down, but mostly cannot do this.
    On the website pics one arm is pointing down and the other up which gives the wraith an odd "juggling" look, I guess it's just a case of experimenting to see what works.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozendorph View Post
    Oh man, that article is awesome. The writer is basically saying, "You can use these new rules to create terrible combinations that fly in the face of the background we've been developing for decades. It's a really bad idea, and I'm not sure why we're printing it. You'd best ignore it if you want to keep your friends. I am deeply sorry."

I was sort of pondering converting them to have whip 'antennae'. Will see how it goes when I pick some up.

I don't understand the specific issue, but I do wonder if GW use the way their kits fit together as a kind of patent protection or way of making it awkward for other miniature companies to make components that are compatible.
    Warseer - destruction testing 40k since 2005!

"The more you playtest, the more you find out about playtesters" - Rick Priestley

Quote Originally Posted by xxRavenxx View Post
    This paled though in contrast to when I got onto the arms of the wraiths this morning. I attempted to build with the "whip" parts (for whipping...) and found that you cannot place the arms in a reasonable pose with them attached, due to the tiny percentage of angles which don't cause them to contact the body of the wraith.
    I know exactly what you mean. I was sat next to a guy putting them together today and they looked a right mess. He either had them pointing out or crossing over, otherwise they would bump into their own body. For whips they are posed in an odd way.

The other problem with the wraiths is that they are just too big. The tallest one towers over a dreadnaught, and they look a bit daft on 40mm bases. It almost looks like they are based wrong. T4 and massive...

The Spyder on the other hand is a beautiful kit (thats what i was working on) and i highly recommend it
    "Smokey, this is not 'Nam. This is bowling. There are rules." - Walter Sobchak, The Big Lebowski.

"I believe a Tervigon is an old, old wooden ship, used during the Civil War era." - Spider-Pope