Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best 8th edition named character

Best 8th edition named character

Hey,

I wanted to know what you guys think are the best 8th edition named characters?

You can characterise it as the strongest one, the best spellcaster, the most useful one, the best one for his price,...

You can also make fluffy dividings like the best leader of you army like Karl Franz, Settra,etc or the best priest like Luthor Huss, Wurrzag,Skragg,...

If you have specific reasons or happenings why you chose one, feel free to share! :-)

Re: Best 8th edition named character

Going by number of complaints/bannings, I don't think anyone even comes close to Teclis.
    "How strange.. I appear to have PK'd myself."
    "What? But this is Warhammer.. How do you PK yourself in Warhammer??"
    "I.. don't know."

yeah but teclis is not an 8th character.

i think he ask about the ones in the 8th edition books
    Last edited by ekxw; 12-05-2012 at 13:49.

With magic being pretty much the most powerful phase I think Manfred the Lord from the VC book is up there. With vampire stats, 5 wounds, access to 14 spells, a sword that generates power/ dispel dice and able to field most of the standard vampire mounts he is able to perform in magic and combat phases making him one of the most powerful characters at the moment. His only real downside is that he has no ward save which does make him quite vulnerable to massed attacks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by GotrekFan; 12-05-2012 at 14:02.
    "Better lucky than good" - Gene Hackman, The Replacements.

The lands of the nether, where the dutch roam free in the fields of Holland

I believe the special character necrotect is pretty good, and cheap? Ramhotep or somesuch?
    Quote Originally Posted by Montegue View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gharnukk View Post
    The bearded one wins the thread!
    Par for the course.
    Painting logs: - Dwarfs -Lizardmen -Skaven -Beastmen -Tau -NMM knights of the white wolf -Dark Eldar
    ---> Newest: 9-3-2013; New Runesmith ---> New: 18-1-2014; A new army (yes, another one): Dark Eldar

Chapter Master AlphariusOmegon20's Avatar

Arkhan the Black. He's not as bad as he first looks on paper.
    "From the fires of betrayal, Unto the blood of revenge, We bring the word of Lorgar, The Bearer of the Word, The favored son of Chaos; All praise be given unto him, For those that would not heed, We offer praise to those that do, That they might turn their gaze our way, And gift us with the boon of pain, To turn the galaxy red with blood, and feed the hunger of the Gods." - Excerpt of the 341st book of the Epistles of Lorgar.

Waaagh! Gutzag - my first 40K Plog

Khalida and Ramhotep are the strongest. Arkhan, both manfreds, and Heinrich Kemmler of the SS are all good too.

Khalida, Ramhotep, and Arkhan are the only ones that get used regularly in tournaments from what I have seen (other than snarsnick, but people play him for fluff when running all NG not for power level). They are the only ones that really let you circumvent weaknesses of their books (your archers become mad ninjas, your necroknights are the hardest to kill thing in the game, you don't need to use lore of nehekhara on your heirophant respectively); most of the others are just variants on basic character types, like Marius Lietdorf for instance is a slightly altered general of the empire and Golgfag is an ogre bruiser, or they are just mediocre or bad (depending on which character you are talking about or who you ask), like Greasus or Krell.

Most of the tomb kings ones are pretty damn good (khalida and arkahn especially), which kind of contradicts most people's opinions of the army as a whole (I'm not dissing the army at all, I think that they have good competitive value if used correctly instead of blocks of skeleton spearmen).

All of the O&G ones are pretty meh. Grimgore was better last edition and got nerfed (as required) quite a bit, as did skarsnik (points increase for basically nothing added). Gorbad sucks since he counts as the BSB so if he flees, he dies. Grom is the same as always, there for a fluff army (although has been nerfed a bit due to if he flees, his chariot is instantly destroyed since the BSB is part of the chariot). Azhag is a pretty model but is not that great. Both the goblin heroes are pretty meh also.

Ogres are a bit wierd. Greasus is as bad as he was last addition, just for less. I'm not to sure about skragg's rules so I can't really comment on him, but I've never been too fond of him as he pretty much needs to centralise the army around gorgers, which aren't too great. Golfag is pretty damn cool, just too random to really include in this kind of discussion. The other one who's name esapes me is not great, I'd rather have a bruiser.

Empire one's have been buffed this edition due to the overall character necessity buff in the army. There are really too many for me to comment on individually, so I'm just going to leave it like that.

I'm not too familiar with the vampires but I'll try my best. Heinrich is pretty good, considering he's a necromancer who's not completely useless in combat (you'd rather have him out of it but when worse comes to worse). From memory, I don't think manfred's been changed since last edition (apart from not being able to take arcanes) so he's pretty damn good. Probably best (after teclis, kairos and mazdamundi) wizard in the game simply because of the amount of diversity he can have with his huge range of spells. Krell is badass. He screams "Come get some". Pretty pointy, but he's damn cool (This is competely based on the model, all i can remember of his rules is that he's T5 W4 and gets a pretty useless buff if kemmler's in the unit). Isabela got buffed substantially since last edition, so is now pretty viable. Konrad was nerfed and had his points increased but he was never too amazing anyway. Damn cool model though. Completely unfamiliar with vlad so I'm not even going to try to talk about him.

Overall I'd say one of the tomb king characters. Not sure which one, but one of them
    Apologies in advance if any of my post appear to have words missing letters, my keyboard is faulty and I refuse to get another one.
    After reading Valkia's book, I've come to this conclusion: Vakia is a strong, independant consort of Khorne, who don't need no mortal man to bring her down.
    Check out my Plog "Anything you like: Graxy paints everything" here: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?350805-Anything-you-like-Graxy-paints-everything!

Marius Leitdorf.

He's an awesome characters, with a funky special rule that can be tragic or game-winning, and is pretty darn cheap for a Runefang wielding character.
    Dark Lancers Renegade Astartes Chapter, Chaos Space Marines - 7,000pts [For Sale!]
    The Undead Scourge, Vampire Counts - 2,500pts [log]
    Averland State Army, Empire - 3,000pts [log]

Warhammer 40k or Fantasy player in North Wales? PM me!

All of the Tomb King Lords are good in their respective roles...Khatep is the worst of the bunch, but even he has his uses...especially in a list that seeks to overload the magic phase. Settra is pretty beefy, I'm surprised more folks don't run him, honestly. Settra boosting a pair of Brolossi (i.e. two Necrolith Colossi) is bad news discounting annoying cannons or I tests, of course.

The Tomb King Heroes, however, tend to be meh. Ramhotep is money, but squishy and easy to remove. Nekaph and Apophas look like they could be useful but I don't think I've ever heard of anyone fielding Nekaph and Apoo-poo is largely regarded as just that...poo poo.
    Last edited by Enigmatik1; 12-05-2012 at 22:13.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maoriboy007 View Post

Using Tomb Kings to defend anything in Warhammer is like using the Phantom Menace to defend Attack of the Clones.

HA Brolossi!

Chapter Master

Aah!!
    There it is!
    I was sure I had posted something in the thread about comps on Daemons..and then when I looked in that thread the next day I couldn't find my post.

Good thing I found!
    Silly me.
    Last edited by DaemonReign; 14-05-2012 at 01:05.
    Quote Originally Posted by The bearded one View Post
    additionally the new daemon book is like a pox you wouldn't even wish on your worst adversary
    Batreps and Painting

Ummmm, wrong topic.
    Machete don't text.

Chapter Master

Yup.. Wrong thread. Sorry about that.
    Quote Originally Posted by The bearded one View Post
    additionally the new daemon book is like a pox you wouldn't even wish on your worst adversary
    Batreps and Painting

Brolossi for the win. Settra is all round Awesome. Rules, model and fluff. Very viable and just all round great.

Skarsnik is pure win no matter what iteration. In friendly games ive run a double skarsnik combo for lulz which is simply brilliant. The new model and the funky old oop model with gobbla separate in the same pimpin force. Unbeatable green!

1) Drycha (useless in 8th edition but was great fun in 7th and changed how you played the army)
    2) Valkia (slightly overcosted but wicked cool character)
    3) Archaeon (Worth the points and he can do almost anything, it also makes the army feel amazing to play 3000 pts plus)
    4) Shadowblade (overcosted but again very cool and fluffy)
    5) Konrad Von Carstein (Crazy damage potential but unreliable, very fluffy and cool character to have a laugh with)
    Last edited by Doommasters; 29-05-2012 at 07:10.

Count Mannfred looks great and all but really struggles because the Vampire Counts army desperately needs killing power from their characters. Mannfred dies when a combat tooled hero or god forbid a Lord touches him. He also has no protection from miscasts.

None of the Vampire special characters are particularly good (Konrad is going to die the moment even state troops direct attacks at him) but Kemmler is probably the best of them. Krell isn't worth two wight kings and you can buy two wight kings for his points.

Change is the constant that cannot be changed.

No game of chess can be won without pawns and this may prove to be a very long game.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLnIFn-iROE

Quote Originally Posted by Doommasters View Post
    1) Drycha (useless in 8th edition but was great fun in 7th and changed how you played the army)
    2) Valkia (slightly overcosted but wicked cool character)
    3) Archaeon (Worth the points and he can do almost anything, it also makes the army feel amazing to play 3000 pts plus)
    4) Shadowblade (overcosted but again very cool and fluffy)
    5) Konrad Von Carstein (Crazy damage potential but unreliable, very fluffy and cool character to have a laugh with)
    And 4 out of 5 of those are not 8th edition charecters. Ie; there not from 8th edition books (Ogres, Tomb Kings, Empire, Orcs and Goblins, Vampire Counts)

I'm probably gonna go with either Ramhotep or Gittila. Probably Ramhotep, he just buffs units to crazy levels!

thesheriff
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Inquisitor View Post
    I'm Sigmar and so's my wife!
    Quote Originally Posted by LanceSaba View Post
    as a slight bump and through much respect. thesheriff is the law around here when it come to WoC.
    ┏(-_- )┛┗( -_-)┓┗(-_-)┛┏(-_-)┓

I reckon the Bretonnian King name is a bit of a tongue twister "Louen Leoncouer"

Nobody mention balthasar gelt? Solid performer, reasonable cost.

Grimgor is great, even after the nerf.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast