Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Building a Better Star Dragon

Building a Better Star Dragon

So I'm looking into adding a Star Dragon to my high elf force (nearing 3k), but I'd rather not use the standard high elf dragon, or at the very least convert it heavily. I'd like something that is both more fearsome and graceful, and also possibly a more dynamic pose. Looking at the new empire griffon, the wings look about the right size for a dragon as well... I'm strongly considering a feathery dragon.

I don't really care for the FW Carmine Dragon, so my options are:
    Warpfire Dragon
    Black Dragon
    Ultraforge Dragon

My army has a Red and Gold color scheme, so I will probably paint the dragon either black or white (maybe red) with Gold Armor.

So warseer, lets hear your suggestions.

Re: Building a Better Star Dragon

The warpfire dragon looks quite a bit too weathered in a way IMO for use in a high elf army.

Unless you're using a naggarythe themed high elf army I wouldn't reccomend the black dragon. It really does look far too Dark elfish (for lack of a better term) for use in a high elf army.

I'm not particularly fond of the ultraforge dragon but I'd probably recommend that one given the options.

Unfortunately, IMO, heavily converting the current model would probably be the best option, or getting the old imrik model. I'm not too fond of it either, but it would probably fit in the best with the army assuming that you are just using the normal GW models :/
    Apologies in advance if any of my post appear to have words missing letters, my keyboard is faulty and I refuse to get another one.
    After reading Valkia's book, I've come to this conclusion: Vakia is a strong, independant consort of Khorne, who don't need no mortal man to bring her down.
    Check out my Plog "Anything you like: Graxy paints everything" here: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?350805-Anything-you-like-Graxy-paints-everything!

Out of the 3 dragons you posted the Ultra forge dragon is awesome!
    The warpfire dragons is number 2

I don't like the black dragon, because it's doing a tail stand.... but hey each to their own!

(PS. I love the carmine dragon -.- )

The warpfire dragon looks like a hatchling, i dont care how big it is it needs bigger wings and a smaller head.

The black dragon i decent i guess but then you might aswell go for the high elf dragon aside from the pose they're very similar.

That leaves the ultraforge one, compared to the others its better but i dont like the howdha.

Dude, Carmine Dragon all the way, why is that not on your list?

Quote Originally Posted by Ender Shadowkin View Post
    Dude, Carmine Dragon all the way, why is that not on your list?
    I like the Carmine Dragon also but he stated he does not so the best choice conversion of the elf dragon.
    Machete don't text.

Her... why do you ask? You know what dragons you like and what you don't like, why do you want our opinion, especially if you restrict the options to the three you mention
    Well if you insist: I find the Ultraforge dragon *****, he looks like an ape-shaped lizard with ridiculously small wings compared to its size, and that stupid howda is impractical and too big. I like the warpfire dragon a lot, but it doesn't fit the HE imho. So out of the three, the black dragon is the best candidate. But that's just my opinion...
    Well, I'll just mention, in passing, if money isn't a problem for you, Legacy miniatures are selling Rackham's titan dragon, which is still, probably, the best dragon available (imho). It'll only cost you a kidney.
    Last edited by Urgat; 12-05-2012 at 22:35.

Of the three you put up, the Ultraforge one would be the best.

If i could post links from my phone I would show the Heresy miniatures dragon... It's an amazing scult.

Get the pre wood elf twilight twins forest Dragon.
    http://www.rengels.de/warhammer/gall...on02-small.jpg

Its OOP nowadays mind but floats about on eBay often enough.
    Last edited by DivineVisitor; 13-05-2012 at 16:45.
    Space Wolves - Alpha Legion - Biel Tan - Reikland - Lizardmen of Hexoatl - Slaaneshi Daemons

- Sona Mi Areru Ec Sancitu -
    - Art Thou The Holy One -

Quote Originally Posted by DivineVisitor View Post
    Get the pre wood elf twilight twins forest Dragon.
    http://www.rengels.de/warhammer/gall...on02-small.jpg

Its OOP nowadays mind but floats about on eBay often enough.
    Your link does not work
    Machete don't text.

Well he's talking about the previous forest dragon, which is the same as the current one, w/o the sprites, and with a regular rider:
    http://www.goatrider.com/dragon.htm

Still my favourite GW dragon design.

why not the fire dragon?

Cost is a bit of a concern; even the ultraforge dragon is a little on the pricey end. That being said if anyone knows good looking models outside of the 3 I suggested I'm open to it.

Regarding the Carmine Dragon, I agree it is a beautiful model, but I don't quite like the pose, and I'm also looking for a dragon with slightly longer limbs (one of my main gripes with the current HE dragon).

Does anyone have good conversion suggestions for any of the existing dragons? I'm considering now the best way to incorporate both feathered wings and additional armor to any of the given models without obscene ammounts of green stuffing. If I use the warpfire dragon or black dragon I would probably swap the head with the high elf dragon head that has armor and fins.

Also regarding army theme, the prince is an exile from Caledor and he's been surrounded by a cadre of loyal followers drawn to his charisma (and star dragon). They are starting to show the wear and tear of surviving outside Ulthuan, and they've also had to begin bolstering there ranks with mercenaries--basically I have a few ogre and empire models laying around that I'll make unit fillers for my core with. I may upload a pic or two later of the boys.

Have you considered the Prince Imrik dragon? It's not the prettiest dragon model GW have ever made but it's in the same style as many classic ones and has the merit of still being easily available unlike, say, Asarnil's dragon.

Or you could try Seraphon, for that matter.

I think I'd rather use a more recent dragon model.

One thing I'm trying to decide is if feathered wings for the dragon is going to look out of place with all the other Caledor iconography, as the membrane wings are a very prominent motif, from the helms of the dragon princes to the shields of most units.

If you want to get the new imperial griffon, you might as well want to try and convert a phoenix?

Definately should use this bad boy
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/shop/mi...tion/cang.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Feefait
    My Facebook account and I have no friends in common.

I dnt get why they all have so undersized wings. Thats what i like with the current one, it still havent got massive wings but is smallish body makes you think maybee it could fly.

the wapfire dragon is just the DE one with another head so you might aswell go for the DE one then.

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
    Id like 10

Do you think they accept kidneys as an acceptable form of currancy?
    My Necromunda log, Shedan's Skullbashers! click me - 30-07 terrain update
    My Empire log, Altdorf mountain patrol -> click me - 24-6 artillary updated
    40K campaign with friends! click me started date 01-11-2013

I've got the old Forest Dragon (pre-sprite) as mine. Great model :P

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast