Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lone Character Look Out Sir Question

Lone Character Look Out Sir Question

pg 97 MRB
    If a Lone Character is hit by a shooting attack of any kind (including shoots fires using ballistic skill, templates, and so on) a look out sir roll can be be attempted so long as there is a friendly unit within 3".

Does that mean that a Lone Character can get LOS roll vs. shooting say from a unit of Elven Archers?
    Having fun every time is more important than winning every time.

Dark Angels | Lizardmen | Daemons of Chaos | Chaos Space Marines | 1 Imperial Knight

Re: Lone Character Look Out Sir Question

Yes, but note that you must have an unit of the same unit type within 3 inches, and that the "Look Out, Sir !" roll is on a 4+ when outside an unit.

At least, that's how I read those rules
    My log : Fantasy ** Updated 24/06/2014** with pictures of Chaosy thingies !
    Lorcryst's Sales Thread ** Updated 14/07/2014 ** list updated with a piece of Citadel history !

Ok then that brings up another question.

A unit of 20 pointy ears try to pin cushion my Lone Dwarf Daemon Slayer, but alas the Daemon Slayer is 3" away from a unit of 20 Warriors. Does he get twenty look out sir rolls if they all hit? Or would it be 1 LOS roll for all 20 hits as a noble Dwarf Warrior valiantly dives in front of the hail of arrows; thus saving the Daemon Slayer a less than heroic death.
    Last edited by SanDiegoSurrealist; 15-06-2012 at 20:42.
    Having fun every time is more important than winning every time.

Dark Angels | Lizardmen | Daemons of Chaos | Chaos Space Marines | 1 Imperial Knight

Ooooh, that's tricky ...

The rule says that a member from the 3" closest unit takes the hit instead of the character ... so I'd say yes, twenty LOS rolls, with the "made" rolls meaning a to-wound roll on the Warriors and maybe an armour save, and the "missed" rolls meaning an arrow stuck in the Daemon Slayer (who has no save, so let's hope his toughness saves him).

I'm not sure tough, maybe some of the Rule Gurus that frequent this hallowed place will have a better answer ...
    My log : Fantasy ** Updated 24/06/2014** with pictures of Chaosy thingies !
    Lorcryst's Sales Thread ** Updated 14/07/2014 ** list updated with a piece of Citadel history !

Commander

Yes. Per hit.

Does a banshee scream attack count as a single hit?

(I can just imagine the troopers in the nearby regiment rushing in to clasp their hands about over the character's ears)
    Will Orc for food!

Librarian

Can you actually LOS against a banshee scream attack anyway? I didn't think you could.

Chapter Master theunwantedbeing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SimaoSegunda View Post
    Can you actually LOS against a banshee scream attack anyway? I didn't think you could.
    Yup, well lone characters can anyway it's against shooting attacks of any kind.

edit:
    okay so I checked the VC book and it seems a banshee scream isn't actually a shooting attack (daft but at least it means it cannot stand and shoot)
    There is also no FAQ for Vampire Counts so untill that appears (if it does) we won't have any official ruling to say otherwise
    Last edited by theunwantedbeing; 16-06-2012 at 00:47.
    Plan B kill it with fire
    Meat is Murder tasty, tasty murder
    Quote Originally Posted by RanaldLoec View Post
    I would have to agree with The Unwantedbeing as he is a paragon of sense and reason in an unreasonable environment.

A Banshee scream is not a shooting attack.

It is "a special attack that can be used in the shooting phase, even if the Banshee has marched, charged or is engaged in close combat."

P31 Vampire Counts army book.

No look out sir.

Change is the constant that cannot be changed.

No game of chess can be won without pawns and this may prove to be a very long game.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLnIFn-iROE

I just really, really like the visual of Dwarf Daemonslayer getting pushed over by a Warrior just in time for the arrow to hit the Warrior. The Daemonslayer picks himself up off the ground, mutters something about honour, just in time for another Warrior to shove him out the way and take his place as an arrow comes in an kills him. The daemonslayers picks himself up again, mutters something even louder, when another shoves him to the ground. And then again. And again, 20 times in all.

Quote Originally Posted by NitrosOkay View Post
    A Banshee scream is not a shooting attack.

It is "a special attack that can be used in the shooting phase, even if the Banshee has marched, charged or is engaged in close combat."

P31 Vampire Counts army book.

No look out sir.
    Your answer hinges on "special attacks" and "shooting attacks" being mutually exclusive, which seems unfounded. I'll hold my breath in anticipation of a FAQ or a more convincing argument.
    Will Orc for food!

And in this case they are exclusive of each other. Someone tries to say it's a shooting attack then I'm going to S&S next time he is charged.......
    Last edited by Mid'ean; 15-06-2012 at 11:13.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Mid'ean View Post
    And in this case they are exclusive of each other. Someone tries to say it's a shooting attack then I'm going to S&S next time he is charged.......
    Quite. Just because something happens in the shooting phase, doesn't make it a shooting attack, in the same way that the Masque uses his/her/it's dance in the magic phase, that doesn't make it a spell.

And I am gonna stand and shoot with my magic missile from my caster...

You have the power dice for that? Might as well start dispelling an enemy's charge.
    Will Orc for food!

Well, you might if you're a Grey Seer

Quote Originally Posted by Iraf View Post
    Well, you might if you're a Grey Seer
    Still need a minimum of one dice from the power pool.
    Will Orc for food!

Not for warp tokens. Powers stone you do.

Thats a little hard to do Mid'ean since Undead only may choose "Hold" as a charge reaction, its in the definition of being Undead. You can give the whole VC army wood elf longbows and they can still only hold against a charge.

Veteran Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Blkc57 View Post
    Thats a little hard to do Mid'ean since Undead only may choose "Hold" as a charge reaction, its in the definition of being Undead. You can give the whole VC army wood elf longbows and they can still only hold against a charge.
    LOL, No way, VC can't run from a charge they have to hold always, but that doesn't mean you can't Stand and shoot, S&S it's just another way to hold the lines (but shooting all you've got!!)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast