Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Gripping Beast Plastics?

New Gripping Beast Plastics?

Has anyone heard anything about upcoming plastic kits from the guys over at GBP? Their Viking Hirdmen and Saxon Thegn kits are brilliant, though it's been over a year since I heard anything about them putting out something new.
    The (Rat)Men of (Under)Talabheim! - A Painting Log

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Dan View Post
    ...Terminators go on 40mm rounds, not 20mm rounds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramius4 View Post
    And you'd know all about Terminators, wouldn't you Dan?

Chapter Master

Re: New Gripping Beast Plastics?

I haven't heard anything about them, though the question seems to pop out regularly on TMP. Presumably they have at some point indicated that their next plastic release (should that eventually happen) might be unarmoured Vikings/Saxons, though I have not seen any actual statement to that effect.

On the other hand, Conquest Games is supposed to release their plastic Norman infantry (under work for quite long time) in near future, though they have not yet released any pictures of the greens.
    Who is Griefbringer? Read his poem.

Quote Originally Posted by Cenyu
    Since World of Warcraft players manage to get themselves killed due to exhaustion, why should Griefbringer not manage to get himself killed with a regiment of table top miniatures. YouŽd be a pioneer.

Well that's a shame. Thanks GriefBringer.

Quote Originally Posted by Griefbringer View Post
    Conquest Games is supposed to release their plastic Norman infantry (under work for quite long time) in near future, though they have not yet released any pictures of the greens.
    They've said pictures should come early July, with the set out later that month. Can't wait.

Chapter Master

Also Conquest will be re-boxing their Norman knights set, this time with enough components to put together 15 mounted knights (instead of the previous 12).

As for the Gripping Beast, having recently completed putting together a set of their plastic Vikings, I am not massively impressed by them. But I think this is more due to having been spoiled by the amazing late medieval Perry plastics, rather than due to any particular shortcomings of the Gripping Beast plastics themselves.

That said, I am sure that there would be lots of people who would like to see a similar set of plastic unarmoured Vikings/Saxons. Plus with all of the enthusiasm about SAGA going on, GB could also try to release a plastic warband box containing a mixture of the armoured and unarmoured models.

Since World of Warcraft players manage to get themselves killed due to exhaustion, why should Griefbringer not manage to get himself killed with a regiment of table top miniatures. YouŽd be a pioneer.

The sculpting for the unarmoured troops is finished.
    "Dead Man's Hand, Skirmish gaming in the Old West"

"Rules of Engagement", WW2 wargaming in 28mm, at www.greatescapegames.co.uk

"Clash of Empires" rules for ancient wargaming www.clashofempires.co.uk

As for the Gripping Beast, having recently completed putting together a set of their plastic Vikings, I am not massively impressed by them. But I think this is more due to having been spoiled by the amazing late medieval Perry plastics, rather than due to any particular shortcomings of the Gripping Beast plastics themselves.
    I have the same attitude about their saxons, but it's less about being spoiled by Perrys and more about the particular shortcomings of the plastics themselves. (They don't flippin' fit right)

That said, I heard about the unarmoured guys a while ago, and I'm still interested to see how they turn out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Commotionpotion View Post
    Now all you've got is Apocalypse, where in my experience it merely looks like you're fighting over a traffic jam with a dustpan and brush.
    Mini Sculpture

Yeah the Saxons are a bit tricky to assemble in poses where the chainmail looks right. They are nice once assembled and painted though.

I have a hope that the Norman infantry will be at Bovington perhaps.

Chapter Master

Borrowed horses, THAT is what I did with those three "extra knights".....I am awaiting those GBP goodies too. Same for the Conquest minies.

Soooo many new minies just out there, around the corner, day after tomorrow?? That does help me wanting to wake up
    I am therefore I think OR I think therefore I am?

Quote Originally Posted by 6mmhero View Post
    Yeah the Saxons are a bit tricky to assemble in poses where the chainmail looks right.
    I was thinking more 'great gaps in the assembled shoulders needing a load of filling' and 'trying to rank up a dozen long horizontal spears', not to mention cleaning the mould slips and lines off a dozen fiddly bits per mini. I have no particular bias against plastic - I started gaming with GW kits and I'm still wary of plywood bases, let alone metal washers or cereal box card - but GBP saxons and vikings made me see the advantages of 1-2 piece metals in boring poses.

It was then I knew I was an old grognard.

But anyway.
    Now all you've got is Apocalypse, where in my experience it merely looks like you're fighting over a traffic jam with a dustpan and brush.
    Mini Sculpture

Chillin' like Gilligan, out on a an island, fishin' with my string and bamboo

An aquaintance of mine contacted them regarding the unarmoured Saxons and their response was basically, they don't really have a time frame but they are hoping to get them out much later this year.

In support of what was posted by Greifbringer, here is the "Official" announcement. I am really looking forward to these minis, even more so than the unarmoured Saxons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty
    What the Modsticker said.

I'm actually kind of bummed to hear GBP is doing unarmored Saxons for their next kit, as I was hoping they would branch out into some other eras they currently support in their metal range. I suppose all isn't lost, given that once Conquest Games releases their infantry I can finally move forward with my 1st crusade army.

Chapter Master

Speaking of the Conquest Norman infantry, if I am reading the announcement correctly, majority of those figures will be unarmoured. It probably would be quite simple to use them as unarmoured Saxons instead of Normans, depending on how the provided heads will look like.

Brother Sergeant

I personally rather like the GB plastics they have real character to them yes some of the arms don't work as well as others but once painted they look good as ever a bit of thought before diving in with the glue and any unit will rank up well. Glad to see some confirmation even if its hardly official thatGB are making a set of unarmoured figures I was starting to think I was imagining reading about it on another forum.
    Also looking forward to the conquest Norman foot just hope none of them are wearing the bermuda shorts suggested on the Tapastry as very little evidense for them as a factual piece of clothing.

Chillin' like Gilligan, out on a an island, fishin' with my string and bamboo

Speaking of the Conquest Norman infantry, if I am reading the announcement correctly, majority of those figures will be unarmoured. It probably would be quite simple to use them as unarmoured Saxons instead of Normans, depending on how the provided heads will look like.
    You could be right- easy enough to get WGF Saxon heads from ebay as well as round shields.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty
    What the Modsticker said.

Chapter Master

According to the description on Conquest forum, the Norman infantry will come with at least some amount of round shields: "All can be armed with kite shields (this time with bosses that can mix/match with the cavalry shields to add more variety). There are some more round shields too."

Though maybe not enough for all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Verm1s View Post
    I was thinking more 'great gaps in the assembled shoulders needing a load of filling' and 'trying to rank up a dozen long horizontal spears', not to mention cleaning the mould slips and lines off a dozen fiddly bits per mini. I have no particular bias against plastic - I started gaming with GW kits and I'm still wary of plywood bases, let alone metal washers or cereal box card - but GBP saxons and vikings made me see the advantages of 1-2 piece metals in boring poses.
    I didn't have a problem with gaps really at all and as for ranking up mine are all single based on pennys or plastic bases from Renedra (cheap and convenient).once together they do paint up nicely though. I'm lucky anyhow as I dont need more than one box for Saga anyhow. :-)

I love the armored Saxons and Vikings. The kits have all of the versatility and diversity that I like in my armies. Ranking is not a problem for me on 20mm square bases. And there are enough bits left over for plenty of conversions. No real problems with flash/mold lines and I have 5 boxes of them. I have a bunch of their metal models and there are lot of cleaning and filing on them to get rid of the mold lines. The Saxons are the cleaner of the two kits, and both work well together. The detail is sharper than the Conquest mounted Normans, which I kind of like, not as much as the GBP. I think they are a great kit. Now that Perry kit that someone mentioned, I did not care for it at all, and dumped my box on Ebay.
    ::::My Madhouse Workshop Blog for all my projects and More::::

--Glimpses of Impressive Stupidity....

I don't know why I'm replying again. I should be mature enough to have said my piece and walk on. But this is the internet, and I have pictures.

http://www.cheddarmongers.org/prod/p...orl01.jpg.html

See the join of the sword arm. I haven't pushed it into an odd position: that's the best result I could get from the odd positions the model parts allow. Particularly with the odd shoulder projection on that command arm. See the gaps at top and bottom, and the wide expanse of nothing between the side and sleeve. Click 'next' to see the amount of filling needed for a half-decent looking army general. It's not much of an exception among the 44 minis I stuck together, either. Keep clicking 'next'. I got 'em ranked up, but woe to trying to get them all intermeshed like that again, in a hurry.
    Oh yeah, and I had a fun time trying to fit some of those shields under the horizontal spears, too.

I won a game or two with them, but they're still going to be slowly bodysnatched by Tanatus. I could put it down to inexperience - I hope GB got enough constructive feedback to apply to their next plastic kit designs.
    Mini Sculpture

Thanks for the link, Verm1s. Looks like some arms are built for specific bodies, though honestly even with the wonky chainmail position it really doesn't look bad. I can fill gaps, however I can't fix proportion or detail issues (neither of which those models seem to have).

Chapter Master

I am about half done with my first box of GBP armoured Saxons. I REALLY like the minies. Good details, (with a little practice) I get good poses,

That said I am awaiting more boxes, more selections.
    I am therefore I think OR I think therefore I am?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast