Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Fantasy Sculpts

Random Fantasy Sculpts

Hello Fellow Denizens of Warseer,

This log is going to be a home for all of my scratch built fantasy models. I really want to improve my sculpting so I want to try as many different things as possible and I've got loads of ideas for miniatures so will probably end up being a bit all over the place, some of them might even end up painted... if they're lucky.

To start with here is a Wood Elf Highborn that I made a while ago but didn't have an appropriate log to put him in:

Also here are some pictures of my Celtic Savage Orc Warboss and Mechanical Duellist that are already on my other logs but I thought I'd put them here as well for completeness:

Any and all comments are welcome.

Re: Random Fantasy Sculpts

Really like the highborn! Finally a wood elf worthy of Strength 4.

I already commented on the Warboss and the Duellist, which I find awesome, with a special mention for the Duellist. The Highborn's not bad either and as Pointyteeth stated he looks strong.

To give you a more in depth criticism, I feel the pose is fine and the proportions of the upper body look good. However, there's something not quite right with the legs as the left one seems longer than the right one. Concerning the details, I really like the armour and the cape but I'm less convinced by the shield and headgear.

I also would like to improve my own sculpting as I feel it is one of the most rewarding aspects of the hobby. I don't know how you would feel about it but I personally would find it cool if we organised some kind of challenge on a regular basis where several of us would try to sculpt a mini of a given unit type or even starting from the same artwork. We could then compare our creations and help each others out to improve our sculpting skills.

@pointyteeth: Thanks. I'm glad I managed to make an elf who doesn't look weedy.

@Duke Donald: Thank you. I agree that his legs are not quite right and the headress makes him look a little bit too much like a cave salamander, also the hand holding the spear looks like it is on backwards but it is hard to spot in that picture. I have a long way to go before I can say that I'm good at sculpting. Which brings us neatly to your sculpting challenge idea which I think is awesome. I'm not sure how to go about organising it though so maybe if anyone has any ideas they could comment here, or just if they are interested.

Anyway, a friend recently asked me if I would sculpt a Nurgle themed Throgg the troll king for him. The direction that I was given was that he should be in a squatting pose with peeling skin, exposing muscle and that his intestines should be falling out. This seemed to fit perfectly with my plan to sculpt things that I haven't done before, Nurgle being my least favourite of the chaos powers aesthetically and therefore the one that I was least likely to make a model for otherwise. I thought that I would take this opportunity to document a sculpting project from start to finish instead of putting pictures of my sculpts up once they are mostly finished. To that end here are some drawings that prove I have next to no talent at drawing:

Moving quickly on, here is the wire armature that Trogg will be built around:

Finally here is the armature bulked out with milliput:

I know that there is not a lot to see at the moment but that should change over the weekend.

Any comments about this or a sculpting challenge are welcome.

I'm looking forward to seeing your progress on the Nurgle themed Troll king.

For the sculpting challenge, we could open a new plog in the fantasy section (or in the group project forum if there is interest from more than just the two of us). We would have to agree on a theme/artwork for each round and every participant who decides to take part would have one month to present their entry. The theme for next challenge would be decided by someone who participated in the previous round and who hasn't suggested a theme yet (or one less time than the other participants if it's just a few of us who decide to take part). This would ensure that we can sometimes work on something we're really keen on but also ensure we would be challenged to sculpt things we would never have considered doing. Every participant would present their entries at the end of the imparted one-month period, but it would also be nice to see the various stages of progress on the minis posted. At the end of the month we could comment on what went wrong and what went right and discuss techniques, tips and tricks. I feel it could be a very effective way to improve on our sculpting skills. I let you choose the theme for the first challenge.

Nice sculpts! While all three are great I must admit I like the Duellist most... That model has a stroke of genius to it, very original and superbly executed!

Maybe add a poll to let visitors vote on what they would like to see sculpted next...
    Check out my Mordheim scenery! NOW! I mean... Please... Only if you want to of course...
    Get your ale while it's still hot! And discover why Stirland should rule The Empire...

Quote Originally Posted by minitrol View Post
    Words cannot describe how I feel about your gamers room soooo Best... Feedback... Ever!!!
    My new personal hobby blog: Toy Soldiers off to War

@Boreas_NL: Thank you. I think I like the Duellist most as well.

@Duke Donald: Sounds like a good plan. Shall we start with something simple like an Empire Statetrooper?

Now for some more of Throgg. I added a head and arms to the core structure.

I'm going to add details on top of this using green stuff, pictures of this should follow soonish.

For now though any comments are welcome.

Empire Statetrooper is fine by me; this will be the July challenge. Do you think we should set up a new plog announcing the grand sculpting challenge?

@Boreas_NL
    I thought about the option of letting everyone deciding by a poll what the next sculpting challenge should be, but then I decide against it as I felt it would be an incentive for more people to take part in the challenge if the choice for the next theme would be decided by the ones who took part in the previous round.

@Duke Donald: Yes I think there should be a new plog. Do you want to start it or should I? Also, should it be in Fantasy or Group?

Started on the green stuff details. The left arm and leg are supposed to look like exposed muscle, I'll cover parts of this with skin later leaving some bits showing. I know it still doesn't look like much but stick with me, it should start looking more interesting soon.

Your Nurgle Troll King is shaping up well. It looks already exciting.

I guess it would make more sense to start a plog in the group section and it would be cool to attract additional participants. The downside is that there is less traffic there than in the fantasy section but we could still raise the awareness for the "Monthly sculpting challenge" by showing the finished minis in our personal plogs.

P.S. Feel free to open the new plog.
    Last edited by Duke Donald; 24-06-2012 at 12:06.

It's very interesting seeing your process. I've always thought that sculpting ability could only develop if someone has mastered 2D art... it's bizarre to me that you're a phenomenal sculptor. Hopefully you don't take offense to that! I'll be keeping a close eye on your progress!

That Wood Elf Highborn is awesome man!

@Duke Donald: I'll start the new log then, probably get round to it tomorrow.

@benvoliothefirst: No offence taken. I must be the exception that proves the rule then.

@Karak Norn Clansman and Kapeg90: Glad you like it.

Now for some more pictures of Throgg.

Next I'll be putting some skin over his exposed muscle.

Any comments are welcome.

It is looking good, and looks to make an interesting center peice for an army.

@Chimp Lord: Thank you, I'm hoping that he will be when he's finished. I've got a way to go yet though.

Progress for today was putting skin over the exposed muscle so that it looks like it is peeling off.

The edges of the skin will be neatened up once the green stuff is hard.

Any comments are welcome.

p.s. the sculpting challenge mentioned above is now live. Please have a look: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...ting-Challenge

So today Throgg got a face:

I want that Highborn to paint.

Nice work!

(P.s, serious, I'll buy it!)

Wow! Throgg is starting to look seriously impressive.

@Nocculum: Sorry he's not for sale, I'm flattered that you'd want to buy him though.

@Duke Donald: Thanks, I'm glad you think so.

So the friend that I'm making Throgg for said that he didn't like the nose I'd sculpted, he wanted it to be more bulbous, I disagreed but its going to be his model so he's the boss. However I think it turns out that he was right, here's some pictures of Throgg with his new nose:

I also added the basic structure of his ears that I'll build on later as well as putting a grip on his axe, making the blade look corroded and starting work on his left hand.

Comments welcome.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast