Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Sheep's Sons of Horus

Cool Sheep's Sons of Horus

Hi everybody, and welcome to my newest log of insanity.

As I'm sure many of you have, I've been reading the Horus Heresy series, and as I'm sure many of you will agree, its an excellent series.

Now I've decided to devote my horde of FW marine Mks to the dark gods, and do the main protagonist forces of the Sons of Horus legion. I'll be doing them in the Sea green scheme, the sort of interim scheme between the Lunar Wolves and the Black Legion schemes, I think it will look striking on the tabletop, and more importantly to me be fun to paint and weather.

This is my first WIP model:

As I hope you can see, there is alot of Imperial fist casualties going on here, one because I think the yellow will look great as a spot colour/counterpoint and it sets them at the Siege of Terra, or just after when the Sons were chased into the eye.

I will be using the SW list, because its more competitive then the regular SM one (though we'll see what happens in 6th), plus I get to run terminators as troops, and since the SoH used them extensively, I think it fits.

Sons of Horus: 1750

HQ:

Logan Grimnar - 275

ELITES:

Dreadnought - 105 Multi-melta - 0 Drop pod - 35 = 140

Dreadnought - 105 Multi-melta - 0 Drop pod - 35 = 140

TROOPS:
    Wolf Guard Pack (9) - 162 2x Combi-flamer - 10 3x Combi-melta - 15 3x Combi-plasma, melta bomb - 20 3x Storm shield - 75 Drop pod - 35 = 312

Wolf Guard Pack (4) - 72 4x terminator armour - 60 WG# 1 - Combi-melta, Frostblade - 15 WG# 2 - Combi-melta, Power weapon - 5 WG# 3 - Thunderhammer, Stormshield - 30 WG# 4 - Chainfist, Stormshield - 30 Drop pod - 35 = 247

Wolf Guard Pack (5) - 90 5x terminator armour - 75 WG# 1 - Combi-melta, Frostblade - 15 WG# 2 - Combi-flamer, power weapon - 5 WG# 3 - Thunderhammer, Stormshield - 30 WG# 4 - Chainfist, Stormshield - 30 WG# 5 - Combi-metla, power weapon, melta bomb - 10 Drop pod - 35 = 300

Grey Hunters (8) - 120 2x plasma - 20 Drop pod - 35 = 175

Grey Hunters (8) - 120 2x Melta - 10 Drop pod - 35 = 165

Total = 1749

Any ideas on poses, themes, names, markings etc would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Sheep
    Sheep's laying a log For all things Imperial
    The Ammobunker Forums with humour
    Sheep's Sons of Horus For all things 30k
    Sheep does Adeptus Mechanicus Latest project

Forlorn Hope, my blog

Re: Sheep's Sons of Horus

I'm so happy.

The way you've got the marine dangling there is fantastic. Looking forward to this.

Emilio

sheep - Wonderful poses. How on earth did you get that marine dangling there?

Librarian

About damm time. Havent seen any of your work in a while and it always blows my mind.

Guess you gotta name logan abaddon, Think he's the only captain whos wearing terminator armor.

Looking forward to see something finished.

this will be awesome

I was similarly impressed after reading the novels so I started with a Luna Wolves army,
    which I sold after it got boring. Since a couple of weeks I've been working on SoH as well.
    I will be fielding Horus, even though no model can properly represent him, it's just awsome to have him on the table.
    Logan would be a nice option I think, but Abbadom seems fine as well. I've chosen Erebus as either a chaplain or libbie.
    In his Word Bearers armour he will stand out I think.

If you like I can maybe post some pictures of my WIP troops and dread here tomorrow.
    I have decided to leave it kind of undecided whether they've gone traitor or not: some chaos markings going on, but some aquilas as well.
    either just before Istvan or shortly after.

Have you decided on what parts you're going to use? mixing the armourtypes, or just one type?

this is btw my Horus model, which I will be using on the table (no idea who he has to count as)
    It won me gold in the painting comp. organized by GW in the Netherlands and Belgium
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	306292_392876054085804_488478832_n.jpg 
Views:	1960 
Size:	49.2 KB 
ID:	143549
    http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/co...&aId=22300019a

I will be following this!
    Last edited by Ritterkreuz1; 22-06-2012 at 14:48.

I'll echo earlier comments, the marine clutched in that powerfist is all kinds of awesome. I'll be following this as I have, on and off, been working on Sons of Horus. I'd love to see how you tackle the sea green as I've found it a really awkward colour scheme... I've never been happy with any of my attempts at it.
    RSPCA - Royal Society for the Preservation of Craftworld Avatars. Put a stop to Avatar abuse. Full stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Fortheempire View Post
    Plus what could Lorgar possibly be meditating on for 9-10 thousand years? Was he producing Guns N Roses last album?

Chapter Master the damned artificer's Avatar

Might as well comment here as well That poor dangling fella have lost his arms, that'll teach him to mess with a contemptor

If you're looking for a suitable sized model to represent the warmaster then the talented Mr. Hortwerth have made a model based on the 54mm witch hunter Tyrus model Here's the fb gallery for progenitor Horus http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...8573552&type=3

Seeing this, I think I will have to have Son of Horus allies in 6th Ed for my Word Bearers Great work sheep!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hochdorf View Post
    I'm disturbed by the fact that Theodor Bruckner's codpiece appears to be substantially larger than a normal man's head

Very nice to see you back at work with a Heresy-Era project !
    Ad with your painting skills, it will be very nice.

So consider me a constant follower of your new thread, man ! ^^
    My blog of commission work and personal armies => http://studiocaillou.blogspot.fr/

I always enjoy following your plogs so consider me subbed

R
    I'm on Facebook and I've got a blog as bigbossredskullz.

Team Anarchy, a norwegian gaming community.

Chapter Master

I believe we should rename you shepherd, as we like lambs flock to follow your always incredible blogs.

I, like you, and many others I am sure, are in awe of the Horus Heresy books. Within the UK an excellent circle of 'pre heresy' collectors has grown over the years, supported by many excellent events organised by a UK group called the Tempus Fugatives.

The very notion of the Heresy gets goose pimples on my arms. Its been the tales of Heresy and the turning of brother on brother that has inspired my hobby in the 20 years plus I have been doing it.

I can't begin to tell you how exciting it is for me to be watching not just a blog of one of my favourite bloggers on here, but the very fact you are handling an army/legion so close to my heart also.

As always... a sheep amongst your flock.

My name is Daniel and I am a wargamer
    40k NURGLE BLOG http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...big-blobby-guy
    Ever wondered why Maths seemed so hard?
    "Everytime I see a maths problem it looks like this: If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 apples, how many pancakes would it take to cover the roof.
    - ANSWER - Purple, because aliens don't wear hats..."

Thats a very nice pose on the contemptor. Looking forward to seeing some more angles and seeing the dead / dying marine complete with arms.

CADIA STANDS! For The Emperor! For St Pius!

Sheep, Sheep, Sheep! First Nid's and now this! You are traveling so far from the Emperors light! I will pray to St Pius for your immortal (very clumsy) soul! Oh, love the Contemptor, great pose!
    Colonel Jacka
    12th Cadian Mech Regt (Orphan Brigade)
    Battle Group Imperators Aegis

CADIA STANDS!! All Hail St Pius! (RHUF)
    Posted by Rhaivaen "I think some of you are way to nonchalant about this subject."

nice to see you back on projects here Sheep...
    i always enjoy your work....looking forward to what this will turn into

Sheep... Is doing... Sons Of Horus...

Sheep wins at Warseer. Warseer closed.

Cheers,
    BTB

You need 10 man Grey Hunter squads to get the 2 special weapons. Like everyone else, I'm looking forward to this, the Contemptor is awesome, might have to steal the idea.

Khrangar
    Assault Marine Brother Antinor of Assault Squad Yerpovius

Pre Heresy Iron Warrors: Golg's 11th Grand Company
    The Emperor's Word Part 2

I've been a bit busy with a new uni entrance course I'm doing, and work, but I managed to cobble together this Sgt over the last couple of days. He took alot more time and fiddling around then I anticipated, the combination of various Mks of armour give a nice feel I think, and is something I can see happening during a protracted siege like the siege of Terra.

The arms are from the plastic CSM set, and are a nice analogue for Mk2 once your file off the extraneous detail.

I hope to have the first 5-10 men finished by the end of next week, but that may blow out due to my time being taken up by work/uni entrance course I started a couple of weeks ago.

I also wrote alittle bit of fluff while I should have been listening to a lecture:

"Yes. I was there, at the end.

I fought on the world that had cradled our race, where sky and earth touched, on the walls of a false gods hubris and conceit.

I watched as demi gods clawed and grappled, murdered and speared each other. I saw the fists of Dorn bleed and die, the angels of Sanguinius weeping tears of blood as they were cast from the heavens, the Khans barbarian hordes unhorsed by bolter fire.

I saw my brothers die, in ignominy, uncelebrated by an empire we spent 300 years forging in blood and battle.

But mostly I remember hearing the laughter of the uncaring gods as we failed, and Horus died, and the bitter taste of defeat like ash in my throat.

That was your glorious siege whelp, and damn you for making me speak of it"

- Captain Tyberadon 17th company, formerly Sons of Horus

Not sure in what context that would be delivered, maybe to a new recruit before they became the black legion or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Dudde View Post
    sheep - Wonderful poses. How on earth did you get that marine dangling there?
    Alot of cutting and swearing! There is actually a pin running from the chest of the marine into the fist, I stuck it to the fist lightly, then carved the holes for the fingers to go, so they looked right and looked like they were actually gripping the torso.

Quote Originally Posted by Ritterkreuz1 View Post
    this will be awesome

I was similarly impressed after reading the novels so I started with a Luna Wolves army,
    which I sold after it got boring. Since a couple of weeks I've been working on SoH as well.
    I will be fielding Horus, even though no model can properly represent him, it's just awsome to have him on the table.
    Logan would be a nice option I think, but Abbadom seems fine as well. I've chosen Erebus as either a chaplain or libbie.
    In his Word Bearers armour he will stand out I think.

If you like I can maybe post some pictures of my WIP troops and dread here tomorrow.
    I have decided to leave it kind of undecided whether they've gone traitor or not: some chaos markings going on, but some aquilas as well.
    either just before Istvan or shortly after.

Have you decided on what parts you're going to use? mixing the armourtypes, or just one type?

this is btw my Horus model, which I will be using on the table (no idea who he has to count as)
    It won me gold in the painting comp. organized by GW in the Netherlands and Belgium
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	306292_392876054085804_488478832_n.jpg 
Views:	1960 
Size:	49.2 KB 
ID:	143549
    http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/co...&aId=22300019a

I will be following this!
    Having seen your log I'm very impressed mate, i prefer a more sea green colour to the one you've used, but since I haven't actually painted anything yet I can't really talk lol. I intend for my army to be set at the siege of terra, so mostly turned, but not so far gone that there are mutations etc, my understanding of the lodge system of corruption is that they "tricked" the majority of the legions into following chaos, so the painting of devotional markings etc probably started as "rewards" or badges/marks of honour before taking on a religious significance

Quote Originally Posted by tancrede View Post
    Very nice to see you back at work with a Heresy-Era project !
    Ad with your painting skills, it will be very nice.

So consider me a constant follower of your new thread, man ! ^^
    Thanks mate, always great to hear such a talented person likes my work

Quote Originally Posted by gonzosbignose View Post
    I believe we should rename you shepherd, as we like lambs flock to follow your always incredible blogs.

I, like you, and many others I am sure, are in awe of the Horus Heresy books. Within the UK an excellent circle of 'pre heresy' collectors has grown over the years, supported by many excellent events organised by a UK group called the Tempus Fugatives.

The very notion of the Heresy gets goose pimples on my arms. Its been the tales of Heresy and the turning of brother on brother that has inspired my hobby in the 20 years plus I have been doing it.

I can't begin to tell you how exciting it is for me to be watching not just a blog of one of my favourite bloggers on here, but the very fact you are handling an army/legion so close to my heart also.

As always... a sheep amongst your flock.

My name is Daniel and I am a wargamer
    Wow, thanks Daniel. I hadn't heard of the Tempus fugitives before now, but I'm looking forward to checking out their work now and stealing massive amounts of inspiration.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Jacka View Post
    Sheep, Sheep, Sheep! First Nid's and now this! You are traveling so far from the Emperors light! I will pray to St Pius for your immortal (very clumsy) soul! Oh, love the Contemptor, great pose!
    Thanks boss, I'll come back eventually, I still have a bunch of krieg to paint for the new edition!

Quote Originally Posted by BeatTheBeat View Post
    Sheep... Is doing... Sons Of Horus...

Sheep wins at Warseer. Warseer closed.

Cheers,
    BTB
    I hope not! I want to post more pics, can't do that if its closed ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Khrangar View Post
    You need 10 man Grey Hunter squads to get the 2 special weapons. Like everyone else, I'm looking forward to this, the Contemptor is awesome, might have to steal the idea.

Khrangar
    D'oh, thanks mate, I'll have to change the list, but since the edition has changed as well I might have some more thinking to do anyway.

Cheers

Sheep
    Sheep's laying a log For all things Imperial
    The Ammobunker Forums with humour
    Sheep's Sons of Horus For all things 30k
    Sheep does Adeptus Mechanicus Latest project

Forlorn Hope, my blog

That sergeant is looking pretty good, brings to mind the horus rising cover art. Looking forward to seeing it painted up. And your right about the chaos marine arms, they do make a good basis for mk II arms. I bought a box of chaos marines exactly for that purpose.
    RSPCA - Royal Society for the Preservation of Craftworld Avatars. Put a stop to Avatar abuse. Full stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Fortheempire View Post
    Plus what could Lorgar possibly be meditating on for 9-10 thousand years? Was he producing Guns N Roses last album?

that's some nice stuff, sheep..
    it looks my sons have some competition!
    I'm vary curious as to how your green will be

Hey Sheep!

Just wanted to post a quick vid for a beautiful Horus scheme color that I came across. Might be a little more ice blue than you want but I thought it might be helpful.
    Lataz

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-3XaeHV-ww
    Elysian 13th Painting Log: "The Remnants"
    # of Elysian deployments to the table: 0
    ---------------------------> W:0/L:0/T:0
    # of miniatures completed: 33
    # of tanks completed: 5
    Current Project: Drop Sentinals Just Finished: Platoon Command Squad

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast