Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Rhodesian Light Infantry

20mm & 28mm African bush wars

@ precinctomega : I'd like to, I've picked up the relevant Force on force books, just finding time to paint is a bit of a luxury these days, but hopefully . . . one day.

That said I've gone off on a slight tangent; after reading a couple of books about Executive Outcomes in Angola & Sierra Leone I managed to find some minis that fit the bill for a little EO PMC force.

I picked up a couple of packs of generic militia from Underfire miniatures, the only modern PMC types that I could find armed with Russian kit.
    A little bit of conversion on their belt kit to make something that resembled SADF recce webbing, using GS and foil. Looks close enough . . .

Got a few more grunts to collect, but started painting on the ones I have so far. They will end up mostly in either Angolan or Lizard camo.

Also got an Mi-8 and on the hunt for a 1/72 BMP-2 . . .

Re: Rhodesian Light Infantry

Finished the third ZANLA pack from Under Fire;
    just tweeked a couple of them, one lengthened his shirt & another changed his shirt into a camo smock and added a couple of ammo pouches:

Ash you say you're on the hunt for a BMP? You can try Ebay they have some die-cast ones usually available from Russia. Other than that your options are the awful ACE kits which I would not recommend, and I put together 20 of them, or S&S' resin ones which are quite a dream in comparison. Again, don't do the ACE ones, whatever you do...

Thanks for the info re the ACE version, good to know. I did look at the die-cast on feebay, but got put off by the mine plow bits, box and log thing.
    Trouble is I have a couple of specific vehicles in mind, from reference pictures, so I think a kit is what I need. Trouble is no one seems to make a BMP-2 in 1/72!
    I'm also after an ASG-17 grenade launcher . . .

Finished chucking paint at these little blokes. Painting 20mm is giving me eye strain, think I might be needing glasses!

Here's the EO blokes:

Spare parts mash up to get something to count as RhSAS, RPDs are a bit oversized . . .

Rhodesian African Rifles stick:

Great stuff. It's a shame these guys are so expensive for 20mm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Litcheur View Post
    Note to 40k players : switching to historicals will get you laid.
    \m/ Metalheads of WarSeer \m/ <- click

Please visit my random project log!

I think they work out about 95p each and that includes the P&P.
    So having got used to buying the occasional bits of Forge World kit, these guys feel almost cheap in comparison, plus the quality is excellent. But I suppose if you are after a whole platoon it will easily amount to considerably more than plastic.
    I'm glad you like them, I've really enjoyed painting these.

I remember Under Fire's minis being almost 2. :confused: That's great then! 1 each is not bad at all, especially considering the quality. I only wish they had more Chechens with AKs. All of their packs have 50% support weapons, which is a bit much for FoF. Have you had any luck finding BMP-2s? I haven't ordered any yet, but RH Liberation has some resin cast BMP-2s for 9.

http://www.rhmodels.com/14.html

Still no joy on the BMP-2 front, I thick I'm going to be on the hunt for what I want for a while, but no rush. I'm also looking for an AGL-17 to mount on it and I think Under Fire have one that might work, only prob is the mag feed is on the wrong side. So I may have to run the gauntlet of sliced fingers and chop one up.
    There do seem to be quite a few RPKs and UGLs in the range. I found I had several spare bodies from my Rhodesian packs, but as the most common formation was a four man stick which contained a belt fed MG, I've been able to use just about all of them with a few conversions.
    Whilst looking for suitable African tanks I did find a really nice kit of a T-34/85, by Dragon. Gorgeous detail, great casting and came with an etched brass sprue, so I'm having good fun building it at the mo. Will end up with either an Angolan or Frelimo paint job, if I can find any pictures . . .

Warwick, Warwickshire, England, UK, NW Europe, Sol-3, Eastern Spiral Arm

Arrrgh so good! I worked with a South African chap for a few months who'd been deployed to support the Rhodesians. He had some ...interesting stories:

"We could always tell when the East German gunners were shelling us - they were accurate."
    "You could tell if the guys shooting at you were Cubans, they cut bits of the tip of their bullets off so they'd tumble in flight, made a hella racket and a nasty mess."
    "The last day I was in Rhodesia my driver was sniped and I grabbed my Uzi - a beautiful little gun - and shot the sniper out of the tree he was in. He fell out in two parts."

These stories would be popped randomly into conversation. We worked in a toy shop. Somewhat incongruous!

Lovely figures, excellent paintjobs (as usual) and nice to see 1/72 aircraft models on here too!

Cheers General.

I had a go at making some huts to go with the Bush Wars stuff, I think the next ones will have a thicker roof:

I think a thicker roof would be better, but yeah, great work!

Great stuff as always Ash!

Just a side question; do you need the FoF main book to go with the Bush Wars, or is it a stand alone?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulonicus View Post
    The champion and his hound. The enemy just told him that metal is dead and they should get a haircut. He answers with the finger.

My Eldar

My Infinity Stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Lithian View Post
    Great stuff as always Ash!

Just a side question; do you need the FoF main book to go with the Bush Wars, or is it a stand alone?
    Yeah, you need the main rule book to play. The region specific supplements (Bush Wars, Cold War gone hot etc) provide scenarios related to those conflict zones.

I picked up a couple of armoured cars to add into the mix. A Ferret MK2/3 from bw models and an AML-60 from ACE:

Looks good, but are you concerned about the height difference since your infantry is based on 3mm high bases, and your vehicles are on what seems to be 1/2mm card?

Funnily enough I have been contemplating putting all the 20mm blokes on flat bases, I only went with the GW ones to start with as I had a bag full. Now I've got so many little blokes that I'm not sure I can face redoing them all.
    These two cars are just stuck to off cuts as I don't have anything thicker at the mo. I made some soviet tanks as scenery pieces based on some thicker card that I think looks a tad better.

1/72 T34/85

1/72 T34/85

1/72 T55

Would it be possible to cut off the edges from the GW bases so that they're flat? Might be better than a complete rebasing anyways.

Nice work on the terrain tanks. Is the rust weathering pigment?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast