Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Messing with a Viking Saga...

Re: Messing with a Viking Saga...

I saw the Victrix greeks and thought, sheesh, I should also be putting together a greek army.

I like Perry's Napoleonics to a degree, but I actually like Victrix's better. And I really am not in the camp of like the Perry's WotR plastic infantry, part of it is probably the period does not interest me as much. I have not seen their new knights in person, but what I see is pretty awesome looking.
    Last edited by PsychosisPC; 05-07-2012 at 23:11.

I started painting a test figure for my Vikings. This is one of the metal models from Gripping Beast. It is still a work in progress, I have yet to do any fleshtones. What you see on the face is simply some white paint.

I tried a couple different things that I normally do not do when army painting. I typically prime my armies in black primer, especially my heavily armored armies that either have a lot of plate armor or in this case mail. I did that with this model, but I painted the red cloth area and the pant legs white first, then added the colors. It definitely gave me that faded red look that I was looking for in short amount of time. I also hit the flesh areas with a little bit of white paint to. Still need to paint all of the flesh.

So one test piece started, but not finished. I guess that might be considered some progress.

Beautiful colors there. The blue and red are gorgeous, and even the brown tones manage to stand out (though something just isn't quite right with the skin ).

I look forward to more.

Thanks. Not completely convinced on my browns for the leather. the Metals need to be cleaned up a bit, have not done that yet like the afforementioned flesh tones. The feet on their metals are like really small and not well defined.

Back to the building. This is one of the conversions using War Games Factory arms with the GB torso, the head is from one of the berserkers that I was doing a head swap on. And the GS work is prior to blending in the hair.

As I said in a previous post the WGF stuff is a bit shallow on the detail, so I've added the mail sleeves to the armor.

I was also mocking up a banner to see if it looked okay. I'll be replacing the crooked plastic posts with brass tube.

That's a neat little conversion with the banner, there, and you just keep getting better and better at sculpting chainmail. I'm also glad I'm not the only one who's found the detail on the WGF stuff a bit shallow.

Chapter Master

I agree. That IS some good converting. Glad to know that parts from different minies makers work (at least sometimes) together.
    I am therefore I think OR I think therefore I am?

That banner on the crooked pole is actually a Space Marine back banner. If it can be converted, I'll find it.

Chapter Master

Bits, boxes of bits....hoard them, guard them. I am reshaping a Space Marine Eagle standard. It is becoming a Roman Eagle, well a "captured" one.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Harborc View Post
    I am reshaping a Space Marine Eagle standard.
    Careful, lest GW sue the Roman empire for copyright infringement.

I added another character(figure on the far right), a Gorgon Miniatures Saxon that I got at Adepticon a couple years ago. Figure reminds me of the Saxon from the Bruckheimer King Arthur from a few years ago.

Below is a different view of the standards. The two on the right use flags from the Fire Forge Teutonic Knights kit. The one on the left is using a piece of banner from a Goblin standard, fused to the spear shaft with some plastic cement. Have a bit more work to do on it. That figure also uses a Warlord Games barbarian head.

That saxon looks like a total pimp. Love the new additions, though I must admit I'm yearning for some more paint.

Gradually getting there. Probably start the first unit next week.

Chapter Master

Those minies should be great with paint added. I like them now. I look forward to WIP photos.

I'm starting to search my bits boxes for well, bits. Somewhere there is a box of Warlord Games ECW cav. The trick is.....where in the heck did I "store it for the future"? Then....there Is a box of Wargames Factory dudes too?

I can play hide (it) and seek (it) ALLlllll by myself.

Damn that Saxon looks sweet. Nice converting too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Litcheur View Post
    Note to 40k players : switching to historicals will get you laid.
    \m/ Metalheads of WarSeer \m/ <- click

Please visit my random project log!

These look great. You have just inspired me to get some Warlord Games ancient Germans to kit bash with my Gripping Beast Vikings.

Well I have been painting away on the first batch along with some other things. In the meantime I finished up the fourth unit of Hirdman along with its movement tray and the casaulties that I then made a mold of them to vary the poses. This unit I wanted to do some modeling that gave them more of a shieldwall appearance. The pic below shows the one model that I converted crouching down a bit, with a normal model, and then one with a shield over the face. I also added one of my cast dead in the midst of the unit.

I converted a couple of the shieldwall models crouching and banging their shields. The one with the shield over his head is a converted Wargames Factory viking.

Good shot of the crouching model and the spear over the top of him. Also a shot of the backs of the units. I added quite a git of hair, similar to some of the metal GB models. Relatively easy conversions.

I'll add the shields later after painting them and the models separately.

Great looking units.

A rought and wild apperance that is most fitting to them. You have managed to create some very fluid units full of motion.
    Great inspiration, keep those pictures comming.
    Best regards/ Engel
    Last edited by Engel; 26-09-2012 at 14:29.

Recently finished up my first unit, Bondi Archers. I'm making slow progress at getting things done. These are the metal Gripping Beast models. Castings are a bit dated and bit rough. Some of the heads have mold lines in bad spots. I really wish they would surprise us all with some plastic bondi one day. Probably a pipe dream on my part.

I decided to go with a more summer like approach on the basing for this army, so green static grass, green tufts, and yes...flowers. I think it looks fairly cool. I've been doing so much dead fall looking bases for so long now that this was more of a happy change.

These two were fun, I had shields strapped to their backs. I'm painting some and I'm using some Little Big Men studios for others. So the goal was to paint the shields in that style of the LBM transfers. I think these turned out pretty good for experiments. The next ones should be better.

Yeah, I see what you mean about the casts. Your painting more than makes up for it though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Litcheur View Post
    Note to 40k players : switching to historicals will get you laid.
    \m/ Metalheads of WarSeer \m/ <- click

Please visit my random project log!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast