Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Messing with a Viking Saga...

Re: Messing with a Viking Saga...

They look great mate. The red is fantastic. I also like the bases a lot, very realistic.

Thanks man. The red is straight out of my Khorne arsenal. The basing is something I've wanted to change up for quite awhile now.

Well I blatantly stole this idea from my good buddy Mike Butcher, these are my shieldwall or Skjaldborg markers for my Vikings in the WAB format.

It was also a good way to practice painting shields, again I was looking to match my rank & file thath will have some with the Little Big Men transfers. Based much like my army.

Much more to follow....

Brilliant! Consider your pilfered idea subsequently pilfered.

Chapter Master

Oh, oh, oh......thanks for the reminder......I've got a bunch of shields.......somewhere?

Those shields area very nice/good/whatever.
    I am therefore I think OR I think therefore I am?

They look great. The weathering and battle damage is very nice.

Very cool. Simple, but effective; I like it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Litcheur View Post
    Note to 40k players : switching to historicals will get you laid.
    \m/ Metalheads of WarSeer \m/ <- click

Please visit my random project log!

Well these are the first of my Vikings. I think they have turned out pretty good. The GB plastics paint up nicely, well defined and well detailed, making it easy to paint. I'll be using a combination of the Little Big Men Studios transfers mixed with my painting so I will need to mimic LBMS. From a distance I can achieve that, ultra-magnified I think my paint holds up better than some of the LBMS, but at least some transfers will save me a bit of time. These are part of my second rank armed with Spears for the WAB formations.

Below is one of my favorites from the unit, a conversion using a GW Empire head.

Much more to follow....

Another nice bunch of vikings.
    Nice tuch with the blue/white striped pants, its a small tuch that really makes iragularity to a unit without the need of convertions.

Chapter Master
    Now Terra...Soon HOLY...Eastern fringes of Europe

Very nice models...And the idea for a shield wall token is brilliant ...
    I bought a lot of Ancients Models so your thread will be watched for inspiration....
    Btw, what kind of spears did you used?
    IG: 2th Company/9th IG Hohenstaufen Regiment.
    "La garde meurt, mais il ne se rend pas"
    "To hell and back...Again"

Chapter Master

Oh, more photos please. When I finish my current project(s)....I will be searching out some plastic Vikings that are not finished.

Your warriors ARE looking good.
    I am therefore I think OR I think therefore I am?

Thanks for the kind words. The spears are in fact the plastic Gripping Beast spears.

More pictures of the progress that I have made. I hope when they do the next batch of plastics that there are more heads without helmets. I like the helmets and if I was in the shieldwall I would want a helmet protected my head, but I do think the figs look a bit more dynamic without them.

The one on the left in the above pic was a Gripping Beast converted with War Games Factory arms and GB Metal head. The one on the right has a GW Empire head.

I'm getting better with the shields as I go....Some additional photos on my blog....and I still need to finish up my movement trays....
    Last edited by PsychosisPC; 01-02-2013 at 13:30.

Veteran Sergeant

Very nice looking figures . GW heads fit great on saga figures

Yea some of them work well....The Warlord games heads from the barbarian lines work well also, but you do need to sculpt beards for most, I've finally found a use for all of the barbarian boxes that I had won at tourneys.

Plugging away on more of the my Vikings.

The above I think works well, its a conversion of a Warlord Games barbarian.
    Next up is my first character model, I realize he is probably a bit more saxon than dane, but I do like the mini. His weapon was puny so I gave him the large dane axe.

The model does have a pretty cool profile.

The Boss looks awesome !

Awesome work here; viking stuff is always a winner. Good use of the Empire heads - they match beautifully.

Scout

Quote Originally Posted by PsychosisPC View Post
    Thanks for the kind words. The spears are in fact the plastic Gripping Beast spears.

More pictures of the progress that I have made. I hope when they do the next batch of plastics that there are more heads without helmets. I like the helmets and if I was in the shieldwall I would want a helmet protected my head, but I do think the figs look a bit more dynamic without them.

The one on the left in the above pic was a Gripping Beast converted with War Games Factory arms and GB Metal head. The one on the right has a GW Empire head.

I'm getting better with the shields as I go....Some additional photos on my blog....and I still need to finish up my movement trays....

Let me say your work is fantastic!! I have just started painting 28mm Ancients and Late Saxons. I have a few GB Vikings and Saxons. There is a sizable difference between them. The Vikings seem huge. Also both the GB are larger than WarGames Factory figs. Is this normal So how are you mix and matching them so well. Looks like you know your Squadron Green Putty very well. Your mods are great, Shields are great too.

I have a few GB Vikings and Saxons. There is a sizable difference between them. The Vikings seem huge. Also both the GB are larger than WarGames Factory figs. Is this normal So how are you mix and matching them so well.
    Metals or Plastic? I have not found that at all with GB in the plastic nor a sizeable difference in the metals that I own. And certainly nothing like the scale issues that Warlord Games has. With Foundry that is a different story, depending who sculpted what. Actually the Wargames Factory Plastics bodies are slightly larger than the GB plastics, even though their heads are smaller. The GB plastic heads fit the Wargames Factory stuff, but you do need to add a neck. And even with the Foundry stuff, I don't mind some scale differences as not everyone is the same height.

Well its been way too long.....I've had these done for quite awhile now, just never got around to photographing them properly, circa 2013. I've really been enjoying reading Saxon and Viking history and historical fiction for the last few years, so I was really quite happy putting these together. As you have seen in the WIPs or maybe haven't since I'm slow at posting, there are many subtle conversions, especially of the plastics.

The hersir unit is set up for WAB with the beserker being the second guy from the left above. The Jarl being the third guy in. The berserker is a converted Warlord Games barbarian.

Another closer shot of the front rank. Another berserker alongside a dane axe wielder. The two models on the right are both conversions of Warlord Games barbarians with Gripping Beast plastic viking heads and shields. I think they make good vikings.

The other thing I tried to do with this army is make all of the movement trays sort of tell a story, instead of being an eyesore geometric shape or hunk of metal or plastic. Views from the rear, the rear most ranks are painted to same detail as the characters and front rank. On the shields I managed to combine Little Big Men Studios transfers with my own hand-painted shields as a time saver. The other thing the LBMS transfers did was inspire me to put in much more detail, such as weathering and battle damage.

Even more photos, including closeups of this unit, can be seen in blog. Below is link in my signature.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast