So, we have the new book. I'm a long time daemon player, although I've had a year out dabbling in fantasy, I'm back to bring my daemons out again.
This is going to change obviously, we're all finding our feet in the new edition, and only playing with the new book and the new FAQs will help us realise how different our army needs to play to be successful.
But I'm going to try and sum up the MAJOR changes to our book for you all, and of course this is a participation sport so feel free to throw in stuff I've undoubtably missed or got mistaken with.
Just to fill you in, my background is mainly a mono khorne list, but I'll try and throw in some of the other powers. Again, participation encouraged.
So, changes to us (we can cover how other armies affect us later.
Lets start with special rules:
FEARLESS / FEAR
-This is a big impact on us. We now cause fear. This is going to impact big on orks, perhaps guard, but MEQ will just ignore it.
-We no longer take wounds from no retreat, hurrah! however...
-Units who are fearless may NEVER go to ground. Big impact on followers of nurgle (plaguebearers).
- We can't run away from dreadnaughts. Because we're too "Fearless" (Read: stupid)
- We no longer recieve +1 initiative. Massive nerf. Bloodletters and bloodcrushers strike simultaneously with space marines.
- Hellblades count as power swords, so AP3. Yes, the FAQ says all hellblades count as power swords, so no getting round it using old bloodletters with axes. Looked into that, no dice. Is that the entire Draigowing laughing at us? However, we do get an additional +1 on the penetration list. So AV 10-11 vehicles we can glance to death and perhaps destroy. However, we still suck against dreadnoughts.
- Softened, ever so slightly. Halved the risk of cheaply losing a unit to deep strike, with an increase in chance of returning to reserves. Slight boost.
-We lose armour bane, but instead gain Smash. Daemon princes gain the option to make two st10 attacks. Bloodthirsters are left in that limbo - Do you trade 6x st8 (or 9 if you want to splurge 20 points on unholy might) for 3x st10?
- Bloodthristers are now monstrous flyers, so we get a whole host of rules allowing to to vector strike and dash around the board. May be useful.
- We can be glanced to death, sadly. 4x glances means its curtains for our plucky walkers. If we recieve a penetrating hit, we lose a hull point, THEN roll on the pen chart. That means Possession doesn't really benefit us as well any more.
- None fearless units can run away when we can't hurt it. Charge, fight, they run away, we got shot at next turn. There is a chance you can sweeping advance them though, so all's not lost.
-Fleet is...different. perhaps a little bit better. We can reroll ALL our dice for run or charge moves. We can't run AND charge, but we can make our charges more reliable. We can still shoot AND charge more reliably and further. However, with changes to wound allocation (closer to further it may make this tactic more riskier as it could leave us out of charge range, but rerolls may offput this risk. We can potentiall move, vomit, then charge 6in + with reroll of poor dice. Its a sideways movement in 6th ed use for a soulgrinder.
- No longer an issue, so no need to trick out our bloodcrushers with useless upgrades.
- Cover now gives us 5+ with no option to improve through going to ground
- Feel no pain is now 5+
- Plague bearers going to ground in cover for a 3+/4+ is now gone, replaced now for a 5+/5+.
- on the topic, plague bearers can no longer run due to SnP. So clench throse pelvic floors on the turn they deep strike because you'll be getting templates chucked at you.
- You'll be recieving this alot. Even tougher to remove units from cover. So combi-charging and larger units will be required.
-Another random aspect to our armies. We can potentially cover greater distances (daemonettes especially).
Ok, that's it for now, I'll repost further findings as I soak up other parts of the new rules.