The more I think about how I usually run my Wraithguard, I really cannot ignore Baron Sarthonyx anymore.
I usually run them with Eldrad and support them with a Wraithlord and pair of War Walker squads (Fortune/Guide/Guide).
Adding in Sarthonyx adds so much of a threat to the unit it's not funny. He provides:
- Stealth, making Conceal a 4+ in the open
- Hit and Run, removing the largest weakness that Wraithguard have, protracted combats
- Assault Grenades, now if I assault through terrain, I go before those pesky fists, etc..
- Defensive Grenades, now if I get assaulted by fists, I've lost a lot less Wraithguard to them before I Hit and Run away
- depending on your local FAQ, a re-rollable 2++ to park in front of the unit for anti-tank shots and Overwatch
All of these benefits come in at a very reasonable price. Taking him with a full unit of Warriors w/ Dark Lance/Blaster to add some horde-handling wounds behind the Wraithguard is just a steal.