Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Alex_H builds and paints his Hierophant

Alex_H builds and paints his Hierophant

So I decided that the biggest most impressive model in my collection needed a threat of its own.

This is a model I brought back in September 2009 with the intention of getting it built quickly.

Since then I've moved home, fallen in love gotten engaged and planned a wedding (being held August 16th)

During this time the model has just sat on the shelf getting dusty whilst the rest of the army builds in size month after month.

However after a reorganisation of my shelf following the most recent purchases it is clear I am running out of room and the Hireophant needs to be moved from its current location and taken care of.

Thus I am vowing to get this model completed before I touch another model.

So to begin lets recap where the Hierophant came from.

Upon opening the box I decovered the following contents. The genstealer is there for the purposes of scale.

So I spent the next few days cleaning and tidying the model.

I also begun to drill holes so that I could pin the various pieces together.
    <

Re: Alex_H builds and paints his Hierophant

Next I begun to put the model together, begining with the rear legs. This was done with a two part apoxy glue using an box to hold the model in place whilst it dried.

<

Im planning on buying one of these in october. Cant wait. Nice to watch how one goes together
    |\_______
    |:chrome:||:skull:|>
    |/

"Its a war game, not just top trumps." - Latro
    <

Finally I attached the tail, however I encountered a large gap which I then promptly filled in with grey stuff.

alas this is how it has remained for the last 3 years.

<

Good to see you working on this again. Looking forward to seeing this progress and be completed.

P.S. Congratulations and good luck with the wedding.
    Currently retired from 40k due to lack of gaming.
    <

Now I have read numerous threads about the flimsiness of the Hierophants legs and have seen some horrible examples where the legs have collapsed under its own weight, one in particular at the store at Warhammer World sticks vividly in my mind, the legs where virtually horizontal and the body touching the ground, it was horrible.

Thus I decided to base mine and incorporate a vertical stick to support the body. Originally I had cut and a section of MDF but I was always worried about how to attach the upright rod. The MDF was also quite heavy and unwieldy, the base I cut was also square, and 40K is a round base game.

Recently I begun thinking about how to solve my problem and I came up of the solution of a plastic base and stand.

I spent some time on Google sketch and designed the following.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Iso View.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	82.1 KB 
ID:	144909Click image for larger version. 

Name:	front.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	37.0 KB 
ID:	144907Click image for larger version. 

Name:	top.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	45.1 KB 
ID:	144911Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Side.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	36.9 KB 
ID:	144910
    <

Well this morning the parts arrived.

After a bit of filing of the upright rod, and a bit of plastic glue, viola!

And here it is with the Hierophant.

Note the bending of the leg/claw even with the weight being supported by the upright rod.

<

So I have spent this afternoon tidying up some flash I had previously missed as well as drilling some holes to pin the various parts and cutting some paperclips to size.

I have begun to secure the head, only to find it leaving a large gap which I will need to greenstuff probably tomorrow.

I have also looked at fixing the the two rear leg support struts for want of a better description. However I have discovered that neither of them fit, leaving a fit of a obvious flaw. It seems however from reading the instructions this is a problem FW was already aware of since it is clearly shown in their literature.

<

Ok, so the two "horns" have been attached to the head and the gap green stuffed. Meanwhile I have also attached the back plates and fixed the broken one.

For now I am going to leave them to dry overnight.

<

So this morning I attached the head and green stuffed the gap behind it.

I worked on the two arms and came up with the following placement. What you think?

<

Your making fantastic progress on this project. The right hand gun\arm is perhaps angle slightly too low, he looks from the angle of the picture like he is shooting straight down into the ground. Are you going to leave the base clear or make it a scenic base?

He is really big, he should be a lot of fun to paint.
    Currently retired from 40k due to lack of gaming.
    <

Very nice big bug. The right arm is low, but it looks ok. What colours are you going to paint it?
    <

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMurray View Post
    Your making fantastic progress on this project. The right hand gun\arm is perhaps angle slightly too low, he looks from the angle of the picture like he is shooting straight down into the ground. Are you going to leave the base clear or make it a scenic base?

He is really big, he should be a lot of fun to paint.
    The left arm is in line with the head, whilst the right is pointing down as if he is not shooting it. I am going to leave the base clear, for now. If I get bored of it I can always return to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dudde View Post
    Very nice big bug. The right arm is low, but it looks ok. What colours are you going to paint it?
    As above on the arm. Looking at the FW website, by coincidence its the same as theirs

In regards to the colours, its going to match my Hive fleet, check my signature.
    <

Ok, so I've come to part I have fearing the most, the spikes.

For those who don't know, the Hierophant comes with 10 sets of spikes I have to cut and then place on the body.

I have been dreading it, firstly as the spikes are really small and I was worried about successfully removing them from the resin bars, and secondly, Im 6ft 9 and have huge fingers and some of the spikes are only a few milimeters in size, thirdly I have a tendency to super-glue myself to what ever is in my fingers to the fingers and these were too small to pull away easily.

Well after about 5 hours of work, (several of which was trying to find a tiny spike I dropped on the floor) I have achieved the following.

Type for anyone else who builds a Hierophant, don't glue the two spikes in the picture below till after you have done the tiny spikes, your job will be easier.

<

So a couple of hours in the drive outside the blocks of flats, two cans of spray from halfords and we have the following.

Firstly a fully primed Hierophant.

then a under coated Hierophant.

<

Looking very cool mate, looking forward to seeing some paint on it, also gotta like the Two and a Half Men in the background
    <

I have assembled/painted a Hierophant as well, so I know the pains one has to endure to get it done - though it's well worth the effort! Great idea with the base!
    <

Quote Originally Posted by vaughany86 View Post
    Looking very cool mate, looking forward to seeing some paint on it, also gotta like the Two and a Half Men in the background
    Thank you. Been painting it a bit this evening, as you can see below. - Not much of a fan of two and half men - first couple of seasons were good, but it got too silly for my tastes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dezmord View Post
    I have assembled/painted a Hierophant as well, so I know the pains one has to endure to get it done - though it's well worth the effort! Great idea with the base!
    I just revisited your log. I do love your scheme. I just knew I wouldn't have the patience to do such an elaborate scheme with a swarm of this size. (I always knew it would be large) Have you encountered any problems with your Hierophant and its legs since you finished it?

In the meantime, first coat of green applied.

Now quick question, should I paint the pipes under the main body green or leave them black? Thoughts people?

<

Chapter Master Inquisitor Engel's Avatar

While you have thoroughly impressed me, you have also convinced me to never, ever play Tyranids.

Well done, sir. Nice to see a step-by-step on Forge World models. I'm often stuck on what parts they come in, leading to hesitancy on what exactly to buy...
    <

Looking very nice mate
    <

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast