Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Bretonnian Rumours

Bretonnian Rumours

In an effort to pull together what few rumours we have …
    I have started threads for each of the armies rumoured to be somewhere in the pipeline.
    I will do my best to keep the first posts updated as more rumours appear in these threads.
    I have tried to remember as much as I can of what has been posted so far.
    I will have missed or forgotten some of it ... so, any rumours that have been posted please just remind me ‘who’ said ‘what’ and I will update this first post.

Bretonnians:

Release date: Unknown
    Rumours of release following Wood Elves Early to mid 2013 release. (Scoopdeta)
    (Making Bret’s mid to late 2013)
    Rumours that one of three Warhammer books being done (and nearly finished) is Bret’s / been in development "active playtesting" since 2010. (meltedwing)
    "I have heard nothing about Bretonninas". (Hastings)

Author: Unknown.

Rules:
    Trebuchet flaming ammunition would create an area of dangerous terrain. (Antipathy)
    Battle Pilgrims are being removed, in favour of the reliquae acting as a potential battle standard bearer and allowing men at arms to take swords and shields, as opposed to spears/halberd limitations. (Antipathy)
    They are toying with removal of lance formation and replacing that with monstrous cavalry rules for breton warhorses. (Antipathy)

Models:
    6 man knight kit that can make either Questing or Grail knights.(GCSmith over at BoLS)
    Plastic trebuchet kit that makes either standard trebuchet or a fireball throwing catapult.(GCSmith over at BoLS)
    The fireball throwing trebuchet, being a dual plastic kit, one being a trebuchet and another being developed as launching some form of wine barrel as an explosive, as per a mangonel similar to as seen in medieval 2 total war games. (Antipathy)
    I also remember hearing something about the barrel idea. (Harry)
    The reliquae is a dual kit, becoming more like a screaming bell. The dual part nature of the kit is hazy, but possibilities I have heard from range from a large standard (similar to carroccio standard from medieval 2 total war, to a more 'crazy' design relating to a damsel in distress, where a damsel is held in tribute to some passing monster, causing the bretons to rage when said damsel in distress gets eaten alive by a hungry wyvern.(Antipathy)
    There is also slated a plastic lord kit suitable for king leon. (GCSmith over at BoLS)
    Hippogryph with parts to represent louen as well as an unarmoured, uncaparisoned, unmounted version to represent a storm of magic version. (Antipathy)
    Dual plastic kit for royal pegasus/unicorn prophetess/paladin/faye enchantress.(Antipathy)
    A foot knight hero is to be available to represent a duke of montfort, along with his dismounted knights.(Antipathy)
    New Repanse de Lyonesse mini. (Eldargal)

BRING IT ON!
    Last edited by Harry; 17-07-2012 at 20:16.
    Founding father of J.A.D.E.D. Jerks Against Directors Extraordinary Decisions.
    My Project Log "This week I have mostly been painting ...."
    My other log of Vintage stuff: "A Blast from the Past"
    Also check out ''The Tale of Fantasy Painters" in the Warseer Painting Support Group forums.

Re: Bretonnian Rumours

I'll be very interested to see how they introduce a large target plastic dual kit. Some of the speculation on the Bretonnian forums I've read is that it will be some sort of mobile Grail Chapel providing boosts to nearby units (very similar to the Hurricanum perhaps).

I love my Bretonnian book - I hope they don't make too many major changes. I also hope they don't do away with the 3-wide ranks, as I would have to remake a TON of movement trays!

That is a lot of books coming---by the dice gods is GW finally going to release two books & model ranges in the same month??????!
    "just make the Base size reasonable" go go 100mm by 100mm!

"they cannot stop the signal-!"

Quote Originally Posted by TsukeFox View Post
    That is a lot of books coming---by the dice gods is GW finally going to release two books & model ranges in the same month??????!
    Not much chance of that.

I doubt we will even see all these books in the next year never mind in the same month.
    Also check out ''The Tale of Fantasy Painters" in the Warseer Painting Support Group forums.

Would love Brets to get some attention. Been around 7-8 years since they even had a model released afaik.

Veteran Sergeant Duke Danse Macabre's Avatar

Well I am still torn, I want to see plastic pilgrims and some sexy new knights but at the same time having just started them they can take their time, Brets currently has allot of choice for items and it is nice compared to the new armies that have been done having these selections.

I just hope Wood Elves get some love soon..... Gamblor would not put money on it though...

Thanks again Harry. You just started 3 threads on 3 of my 4 main armies, lol. It will be intersesting to see how all these rumor threads chug along thought the year, especially now that we appear to be in lul period of rumor monger-pretenders.

*keeps fingers crossed for foot knights...*

Hastings mentioned a couple of weeks ago on this forum that he heard nothing about Bretonnia.... .
    Which is a shame.

Happyland, in a gumdrop house on Lollipop Lane

It seems like Brets are not the best selling models...
    This is the war-ravaged world of Warhammer, and there's only WAR!... and hammers.

Neither were ogres a year ago. Now look at them. They make up nearly 50% of all armies at local tournaments.

If a book is done well any army can be catapulted to top sellers on my opinion

But yes GW dont seem to show them Much love

Chapter Master

Done well or slightly more powerful that power gamers rush out to own the latest tourny winning army?

I will have my eye on this thread!

I love 'um.They have some great models.
    I wonder if they are just tooo vanilla for fantasy and don't grab people imaginations in the same way as some other armies?

I have updated the first post with the only rumours about models for Bret's I have read anywhere.
    They were posted on BoLS when the Bretonnian rumours first started over a year ago. But don't let that fool you. I sometimes hear about things early on in the process and then don't hear another thing about them until the finished product appears in White Dwarf.
    Last edited by Harry; 12-07-2012 at 16:56.

Brets are an army that can do so well - They have potential, yet never seem to fully materialize.

I had heard sporadic rumors over the years but they really only ever turn out to be wishlisting reverb.

Rumours that one of three Warhammer books being done (and nearly finished) is Bret’s / been in development "active playtesting" since 2010. (meltedwing)
    This makes sense to me given how much the game meta changed in 8th, and how much brets needed to have some major changes to bring them in line.

I'll eagerly await news.
    Molovian Guard (2,500 -ish Imperial Guard) (In all manner of shambles)
    Wuzza's Whirlin' Wheelerz (In progress 2k SpeedFreeks)
    The Horde of the Horned one (3k Skaven)
    Check out my Painting Blog! Comments/Criticism welcome! Currently featuring Orks and Skaven!
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
    In other words as a rock player I find that changes to scissors are fair, balanced and reasonable but that paper has been made too strong in this edition and should be nerfed.

I don't think that Bret's are too vanilla for fantasy, I just think that after Anthony Reynolds went off to BL to author books, there wasn't a soul left on the design team who cared to work on them. I'm sticking with my assumption that we won't see new brets till after 9th gets released. Just too many other armies that seem to be in line ahead of them, and not enough time till summer 2014 to squeeze them all in
    "Revenge is a dish best served by Uma Thurman"

Kudows to you Harry

I quit like the firebal trebuchet idea tho

p.s Anthony Renolds did a awsome job in the Knights of bretonnia saga. I would love to get my grail knights looking like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    I wonder if they are just to vanilla for fantasy and don't grab people imaginations in the same way as some other armies?
    I agree with that sentiment. I do like them how they are and I personally wouldn't want them to change much, but I'm sure they'd be more popular if they had more "fantasy" choices. Because when all is said and done, special rules aside, they're like the Empire minus the techy and wizardy stuff. There's plenty magic stuff in the various European folklore that would fit well with Brets. In short, they should be done with the regular knights and peasants stuff which is already fleshed out aplenty, and focus on the Lady of the Lake aspect.
    Last edited by Urgat; 12-07-2012 at 15:47.

Couple of things I have heard - also about the fireball throwing trebuchet, being a dual plastic kit, one being a trebuchet and another being developed as launching some form of wine barrel as an explosive, as per a mangonel similar to as seen in medieval 2 total war games.

Although I assume it is too early to come out with rules, I have heard that such flaming ammunition would create an area of dangerous terrain.

Next up is the expansion of the reliquae into a dual part kit, becoming more like a screaming bell. Battle Pilgrims are being removed, in favour of the reliquae acting as a potential battle standard bearer and allowing men at arms to take swords and shields, as opposed to spears/halberd limitations.

The dual part nature of the kit is hazy, but possibilities I have heard from range from a large standard (similar to carroccio standard from medieval 2 total war, to a more 'crazy' design relating to a damsel in distress, where a damsel is held in tribute to some passing monster, causing the bretons to rage when said damsel in distress gets eaten alive by a hungry wyvern.

Over characters, apparently a foot knight hero is to be available to represent a duke of montfort, along with his dismounted knights.

Also, hippogryph with parts to represent louen as well as an unarmoured, uncaparisoned, unmounted version to represent a storm of magic version.

Lastly, a plastic kit for a royal pegasus/unicorn prophetess/paladin/faye enchantress.

Aside from a rumour I have only heard in a passing comment, they are toying with removal of lance formation and replacing that with monstrous cavalry rules for breton warhorses. However as with other ruoes idea earlier, seems very earlier, and is otherwise unverifiable so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    I wonder if they are just tooo vanilla for fantasy and don't grab people imaginations in the same way as some other armies?
    Not necessarily. If you realize that a series like Game of Thrones is very popular, I would think there is a lot of interest in a more grim-realistic representation of a fantasy medieval army. Bretonnina can fit this nice perfectly, and would be a interesting foil for the more steampunk-wizardry focussed Empire.

@ Antipathy

Wowsers!
    That is another great conrtibution.
    You have just doubled the bretonnian rumours in one post.

You win rumour poster of the day award.

Unless someone out there wants to go one better.

Most exciting for me in that lot are:
    The options for the grail relique sound great fun.
    BUT
    Best of all....Foot knights .... FOOT KNIGHTS! and men at arms with sword and shields. BRING IT ON!

That would have to be a new duel plastic kit I guess?
    Last edited by Harry; 13-07-2012 at 07:55.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast