Thread: Size comparison of 1/35 tanks to 40k tanks

Librarian

Size comparison of 1/35 tanks to 40k tanks

Last night my girlfriend made me watch the Tank girl movie, and while it was a pretty awful (in a good way) movie, the tank in it was awesome. Im wanting to make one of my own up for 40k, but would like it to "counts as" a predator. So want the size to be similar. Using a predator as the base model isnt really an option, as I want the tracks wheels to be exposed and all 40k tanks come stock with them covered up and shielded.

So can anyone recommend a kit from another company that would make a suitable base for this project? Ive found quite a few that work such as this...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TM35322.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	11.5 KB 
ID:	145205

But im concerned about the size. I can find plenty that are 1/35th, but since my only modelling experience doesnt extend past games workshop and forgeworld kits, I have no idea if this would be the right size.

Any help would be appreciated!!

EDIT

Ive also found a version someone else did with the same idea which ive linked below, does anyone know what kit he has based it on? Because that looks like a good start.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tank_Girl_by_Rob_Jedi.jpg 
Views:	395 
Size:	54.3 KB 
ID:	145206

Chapter Master

Re: Size comparison of 1/35 tanks to 40k tanks

1/48th is usually a better fit, depending on the tank, so 1:48 sherman may work better

http://www.tamiya.com/english/produc...rman/index.htm
    Quote Originally Posted by Rictus
    They look so cute like a fluffy kitten (with a turret mounted gun).
    My old log of Tanks and Scratch Building My new log of Tanks and Scratch Building<----Click them, go on, you know you want to.

Librarian

I just went downstairs and measured a rhino (I should have done that in the first place haha) and you are right, a rhino is 12 cm long, same as that one you linked. That also led me to this...

http://www.tamiya.com/english/produc...rman/index.htm

The same one but with a more rounded hull. Perfect for what im after

Many thanks Tinners!

The tank in the picture is a modified M3 Stuart/Honey. So while it looks pretty Tank Girl-ish it's the wrong hull.

I'm not sure if anyone makes one but an Israeli Super Sherman in 1-48th might be your best choice. It's got a bigger turret and a 105mm gun on an M4A3E8 style hull.
    "As a rule of thumb, the designers do not hide "easter eggs" in the rules. If clever reading is required to unlock some sort of hidden option, then it is most likely just a result of wishful thinking." Pete Haines
    It's a turret. A TURRET! Got it? There is no such thing as a turrent.

In the movie "Tank Girl" a M5 tank aquired from I think Brazil or Argentina was the platform for her tank.
    Also in the movie (which I haven't seen in a long time) you see a PT-76 and T-55 which magically become the M5 Stuart (...Hollywood. Anything can happen in Hollywood...)
    That M3 conversion above looks pretty good.
    You can stick with an M5, available at most quality hobby stores, or you could use anything you want, like the Sherman. It's your build.
    To master any skill you must accept doing it poorly at first.

Find the real world dimensions of the tank (wikipedia or similar) and work out how big it will be in 1/35 or 1/48.
    As has been said 1/48 usually looks right for the main body of a vehicle in relation to GW tanks but a lot of the details - hatches, weapons, etc - will look small in comparison to the troops

It really depends on the type of tank (light, medium, etc), the time period (early WW2, late WW2, modern) and the specific vehicle. There's no specific 1/35 is best or 1/48 is best blanket statement.

Bren Carriers (Universal carrier) in 1/35 is about the size of a chimera. Would make a good Salamander scout. If you can find one in 1/48, it would be fine as a Centaur (FW) which is what the Centaur was modelled off.
    M7 Priests and Matildas in 1/35 are also roughly chimera sized. So are M113s. These would be perfect sized.

Most tanks/armoured vehicles, however, range from the same height/width (T 1/35) but 2 or so inches longer, to much wider and longer and verging on superheavy sizes (Most modern tanks and German WW2 heavy tanks). King Tiger makes a nice light superheavy in 1/35 (it's treads are already wide enough).
    Sent from my Nokia Lumia800 using my microwave as a proxy server.

That is not dead which can eternal lie
    And yet, with strange aeons, even death may die.

I am the guy who thought the LoTR movies were crap and liked Judge Dredd.

1:48-50 is about right for 25mm. However, GW stuff is considered 'heroic' (i.e. 28-30mm) is scale, and is also disproportionate, being more 'charactures' of vehicles rather than scale models (as are many of their figures). So, the reality is that either would work, as they fall really somewhere between the two is actual scale. The fact is also it is what works is what is appealing to you; if it looks good to you, then its probably good enough.
    New project log to come
    AIRBRUSHING TOPICS (once upon a time...) : topic poll; Master Topic MegaThread!; Q&A

Try this:

Scale comparisons

It's a gallery I made, comparing multiple vehicles+scales vs 40k models. See if you can find something that helps you decide.
    "I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum."
    --------------------------
    Comparisons of sizes: W40k vs other models
    http://www.pbase.com/hammerbolt/compare