Thread: Eldar 1500 points for 6th edition Semi-competitive

Eldar 1500 points for 6th edition Semi-competitive

40K Army: Eldar
    Hey everyone, so the list here is my brothers current list for 6th edition and I thought I'd get to reviewed for him. So any advice or opinions is welcome. Thanks

HQ

Farseer- Runes warding & witnessing, spirit stones, fortune, guide 150pts

Elite

1x Fire Dragons-(6 guys) exarch, crack-shot 113pts

Troops

2x Pathfinders (upgraded)(5 man squads) 240pts

2x Guardians (scatter laser)(10 man squads) 190pts

3x WaveSerpents (each spirit stones & scatter laser) 375pts

Fast

1x swooping hawks (5 guys)(exarch,intercept) 122pts

Heavy

1x NightSpinner 115pts

1x Fire Prism 115pts

Fortification

Skyshield Landing Pad 75pts

It might be slightly under 1500 points since he didn't tell me haha. Anyways I look forward to opinions on Eldar in 6th edition. Thanks everyone.

Re: Eldar 1500 points for 6th edition Semi-competitive

HI Jarry,
    So ive just finished my 5th game in 6th so far, my score is 5-0-0 and ive played Eldar since late 3rd, all thru 4th, all thru 5th and plan to go thru 6th. Each edition makes some characters and units better, far better, worse far worse or Over powered or useless. 6th edition has done this to so many eldar units its almost a whole new game and strategy and so far ive had a blast.

Id like to help you and your bro with this list with my advice. Now you can listen to the advice with open eyes and ears, or you can shut me out and ignore me..I only ask that you give it a single thought first. Now I may at some point appear rude, but I dont mean anything by it, I sometimes get excited about the topic is all.

Ok so here goes.

Hq: Farseer:Both runes, stones fortune and guide...not bad..If your worried about points i like this guy, but one consideration is Eldrad, in 6th he is a beast, I havnt had him die in any of the 5 games and he has killed 3 Ic's. His weapon ignores the pesky AP in close combat rule since he doesnt have a power weapon he simply ignores armor saves. He also is T4 which is kinda weird, but i like to think its cus Eldrad is made of tough stuff!

Elite: Firedragons: Exarch crack shot. Firedragons are amazing..until melta has gets hot or doesnt destroy tanks they will always be awesome! But you should lose the Exarch and the Crack shot. 33 pts for a single shot that ignores cover? really 33 pts for that? I would cut the exarch and take the squad without.

Troops: Pathfinders (rangers with upgrade) two squads of 5. This is one of the best ideas ever! dont let go of this.
    Guardians 2 squads of 10 with scatter lasers. oooh this is hard to quantify. Ok, Im a guardian man myself, I have argued that they are good. But your list lacks to much to consider having two 10 man squads that dont have Warlocks and also have a waveserpent spent on them...this is a poor idea due to the Hull point system, a few glances and the things go down causes a S4 wound on each Guardian inside. So your points on them are 250 for the two wave serpents for them and 190 for the two squads. Thats 440 points for 20 dudes and two waveserpents. I fell your list could use the nearly 500 points on some other things first.

Fast: Swooping hawks 5 man unit. These guys have not been worth it since 4th, they are not worth it now. Yes they have haywire grenades...congratulations you have made a acute observation. But this 5 man squad is going to die immediately, and yes they have the grenade pack...thats cool but its a S4 Ap5 do you really expect them to kill more than 4 models? then what? shoot with their S3 guns? nah...this unit must go. I know why you have them but ive got alternatives..after the list ill tell you.

Heavy: Nightspinner, Fireprism. Ok these are pretty good. Keep them moving though because alittle bit of firepower can take em out pretty easily. you want your jink rule and you want to be zooming.

Fort: sky shield....eh..ok..i blew up a fortification in one turn, so I was underwhelmed, but im sure no one will shoot it with a Las cannon on turn one and blowing it up. could never happen.

Solutions.
    A good vehicle hunting group is Scourges but youd have to ally with DE, if your ok with that then 260 pts fora 10 man squad with 4 haywire blasters! 24" haywire from a unit that jumps 12" so a 36" threat range on any vehicle on average glancing 2 times and penetrating 1 time! thats 3 Hull points off any vehicle each shooting phase!

Dont have a vehicle to shoot at? Well then step right over here to the other 6 scourges all equiped with their standard war gear. A shard carbine! giving them 18 poisoned shots at 18" plus the 12" move giving us 30" threat range!

Night fighting rules on turn one? Well then thankfully Scourges have Night vision! this ignores the night fighting rules for anything they shoot at!
    Taking Ap4 or better shots? Well then thankfully Scourges have a 6+ invulnerable for free!
    Failed your save? Well then thankfully Scourges can receve feel no pain rather easily!
    Wanna assault but lack the strength to hurt guys? Well then thankfully Scourges can also receive Furious charge!
    Hate taking pesky Leadership or fear saves? Well then thankfully Scourges can also receive Fearless!

All this can be yours for a low low price of only 1 pt more per model than a Swooping hawk! Yes! Thats right only 1 pt more for Fearless, Furious charge, Feel no pain, Night Vision, A Poisoned assault 3 18" gun, and a 6+ invulnerable save!

Like em yet?

Ok the Troop issue. This is 6th not 5th..Mech is out..trust me. Hull points have seen to that...your spending 605 pts on 5 vehicles a total of 15 Hull points which in my list i could take out in one lucky turn or two standard. 605 points could grab you Wraithguard, Wraithlords, Harlequins, Dark eldar or Tau units, The Avatar for CC since you have none.

Personally I always take Direavengers with a exarch with a power weapon and a shimmer shield and defend and Bladestorm 177 little much but cheaper than Pathfinders or the like. Plus they do well in CC and great in Shooting, Bladestorm a unit, charge whats left, then when another unit shoots at you you go to ground, then they charge you and you get to Overwatch and get this....you get to bladestorm (no your not using it again...its still active until the start of your next turn)

Wraithguard 399 pts gives you 10 wraithguard at T6 3+Sv and a Warlock/ Spiritseer with a 4+ invulnerable a singing spear still S9 when thrown against a vehicle. Their guns auto kill almost everything in the game! The wraith cannon can easily take out a DreadKnight! A DreadKnight! think about it! the dreadknight charges you, you overwatch landing 2 6's and wound with both! blam! two wounds gone, if you rolled a 6 to wound and it doesnt have eternal warrior, then it instant dies regardless of toughness or remaining wounds! thats how i killed dante! he charged me and i overwatched hit with a few and blam 6 to wound, he was in front and had to take a save or die with his 4+ invulnerable.

Ok that should be it. Hopefully you read it and thought about it rather than ignoring it, hope it helps.
    " We bring only death, and leave only carrion. It is a message even a human can understand."

Jarry,

Keep the FD exarch and give him Tank Hunter, not Crack Shot. Tank Hunter ensures your squad always makes those rolls to Pen. Let's say you hit with 5 Meltas, then you roll for pen glance, you get unlucky and roll just 2 pens and a glance. You can pick up the dice for the two "misses" and reroll. Also I would suggest making the FD squad larger and giving the Exarch the Heavy Flamer. Melta is great for IDing Paladins, DC etc, and I have a feeling the more codexes come out the more units are going to have FNP, making fire dragons very good.

I would also like to throw some math out for Spring Heeled Jack. A wave Serpent with Fortune that moves gets a 5+ cover save (now against IG throw all this out the door), fortune lets you reroll failed armor/cover saves. Lets say 6 Vendetta's open up on a Fortuned WS. 18 Shots, 9 hit, reroll 9 4.5 more hit. Let's call it 14. They are reduced to str 8 because of the WS prow rules, so needing 4's+ to glance/pen you roll 7. Now I take my jink save and save 2, then I take my rerolls and save 2 more. So 3 glances/pens occur and drop the Wave Serpent- but it took 18 LC shots. Try it with 2 Units of Long Fangs with MLs, 10 shots, 7 hits, 3.5 glance/pen's, 1 jink save, 1 rerolled jink save leave 1/2 glance pens again that is 280 pts of Long Fangs firing at 100 pt WS. Honestly WS are no a pretty decent weapons platform, now with the firing rules and the fact that most people are on foot, take the dual Shuriken Cannons. Two Cannons and Spirit Stones for 120 pts, not too shabby (not overwhelming but certainly not bad).

I would actually endorse taking 2 units of 10 man FD squads in WS such equipped. Then I dont really think you need the Aegis as much. Again a bit of math. Vendettas/Storm Raves with armor 12. 10 FDs with a Farseer and a exarch with tank hunter. 10 Shots are guided by the FD. 1 Hits, 9 rerolled, 2 more hit. 3 total hits. Now, you wont get half range because of the flier base but you get the ap 1. So, 3 shots needing 5s to pen, 1 pens, reroll the other 2. You have a very good chance of getting 2 pens with the unit and dropping the Vendetta altogether because ap 1 gives +2 on the damage chart. What makes FD so good is you dont just use them for tanks, use them on marines as well or the heavy flamer on a unit in terrain. Spring Heeled Jack talked about 10 Wraithguard dropping a Dreadknight with 10 Wraithguard, 10 Firedragons can do it for half the price. You have a very shooty oriented list, I really don't suggest you take the Wraithguard, all someone has to do is get them in close combat and you have nothing to bail them out. 1 attack each even at str 6 with no ap just isnt going to cut it. Now if you had a unit of Harlies you were running to counter charge if your wraithguard got assaulted that would be fine.

Just some things to think about. You might also try some artillery. D-Cannons seem very good, 3 with 6 crew for 150 pts.

Stur,

Thanks for the math I suppose, but id like to point out that it doesnt take S9 shots to take out a wave serpent. Only a few S6 shots or any shots from Gauss. You wanna do math, lets do math..you picked IG I choose necron since I just finished a game with them yesterday. 10 warriors move up and shoot at 24" since rapid fire works that way now. They hit with 7 and glance with 1 even though your Armour 12. You jink only at a 5+ so I dont know why outta 4 Jink saves you made 2 then 2 more with rerolls its mathematically unlikely and not how one does probabilities. You should have saved only 1 then only 1 more meaning you lost two hull points. Anyway. Now, the Annihilation barge shoots with its Tesla cannon and hits you 3 times and rerolls the miss getting a 6 adding in two additional hits for a total of 6 S7 hits and rolls a 5 and a 6 amongst the others. This glances and pens and its mathematically unlikely youll save both, so your done. and now your Firedragons are out in the open for the Immortals to shoot up with S5 Ap4 guns so good luck having them stay alive.

Speaking of which, you suggested against the Wraithguard. HAve you used Wraithguard and Firedragons in 6th ed yet? I have and I can tell you, Firedragons are amazing but cannot stay on the field like Wraithguard can. You tell me how a CC unit can take out my Wraithguard? OH I dont have more than one attack? I have a S5 attack and T6 most attacks agaisnt me will never wound. Not to mention if they do i save on a 3+ and Fortune. You wanna do math again?

10 fire dragons get into CC with Assault marines, the Firedragons have been fortuned. The firedragons get to overwatch and roll 2 hits and vaporize two marines. Hammer of wrath kicks in with 8 S4 auto hits, 5.4 wound so 5, 2.5 firedragons make their save and get a reroll from fortune, so 1.25 die, rounded is 1. So the firedragon exarch attacks first with his impressive 2 attacks, Now mind you he cost 16 pts base then the 12 points to make him a exarch then the 15 points for tank hunters = 43 pts. He hits twice due to only needing 3's he fails to wound however since 5's is what he needs to wound. The firedragons go next 8 attacks, hit on 4 so 50% meaning 4, and wound with 1 33% chance of wound, in which the marine saves 66% chance of save.
    The marines attack with 8 base attacks 8 two weapon attacks and 8 charge attacks equaling 24 attacks needing 4's so 50% is 12 now to wound they need 3's which is 8 wounds, 9 FireDragons remain and make 4 saves(50%) and fortune 2 more (50%), the dragons lost by 3 and make a leadership test at a 6. good luck average 2D6 roll is a 7.

Now the Wraithguard. Same scenario the Wraithguard have been fortuned. the marines get the charge and the wraithguard open fire, two hit vaporizing two marines.
    The marines hit with hammer of wrath 8 S4 against Toghness 6 so 1 wounds and the Wraithguard makes the save at a 66% chance.
    Marines and Gaurd go at same time.
    Warlock gets 2 attacks unless he has spear but lets run him normal. He hits with 1 (50%) and wounds on a 2+ so 1 wound.
    The Wraithguard get 10 attacks and hit with 5 because 4 to a 4 is a 4+ so (50%) and now to wound they need 3+ since S5 so 3 more wounds since 66% of 5 is 3 rounded.

The marines attack with 8 base attacks 8 two weapon attacks and 8 charge attacks equaling 24 attacks needing 4's so 50% is 12 now to wound they need 6+ which is straight forward math they wound with 2 and the Guard make 2 saves making both on a 3+ since 66% and even if by chance fails then fortune kicks in.
    The marines lose that round and the next round the marines will not have charge attacks or hammer of wrath attacks, they go from 32 attacks to 16.
    The wraithguard stay the same.

The Firedragons can fail a pen shot if outside of melta range, the Wraithguard always glance on 2-4 and pen on 5-6 no matter what
    Wraithguard can be made scoring units, Firedragons cannot.
    Wraithguard are hard to hurt, Firedragons are not.

Dont misunderstand please. I love Firedragons, I use them in 90% of all my lists, some times i spam 20 of them.
    But dont underestimate the Wraithguard.
    " We bring only death, and leave only carrion. It is a message even a human can understand."

Hey guys, Thanks for the advice so far. I got my brother to take a look at what you said and he's going to make some changes. He has a fairly small budget but the opinions and tactics and such are a big help. Thanks for helping him improve his team for 6th edition!

Oh, I almost forgot ( sorry for messaging twice ), Jack, where does it say that your able to shoot the skyshield. I haven't seen any armor values for it. I play Guard and will be playing my first 6th edition game this week actually and I was wondering what your opinion on transports are in 6th edition. Luckily for me I didn't run a mech heavy army so hull points don't hit me too hard besides my two russ's and my 2 chimera's/ 1 vendetta. I look forward to your opinion.

Jack, if you are going to do the math, do it correct. First you are picking THE best codex in the game for taking out anything but lets go with Necrons. 10 Warriors shoot (if they are rapid firing you arent a good player as you are more manuevarable than them and can premeasure). 10 shots equals 1.1 glance. (130 pts dedicated to taking out the WS). Now the A-Barge, between the reroll and having to get a "6" which doesn't always happen, most likely he gets 5. Of those 5, 1.65 glance/pen, so we have 2.7 glance/pens thus far, if you want to round it to 3, then the WS should save 1 of those. Now we are up to 220 pts dedicated to taking out the WS. If we use another A-Barge and get another 1.65 glances, the wave serpent could certainly get lucky and save that with the reroll. My point is this, if you are spending 2-3 times the cost of the Wave Serpent to shoot it down, there are other units that will not be fired upon at all. Moreover, if that WS moves flat out, the save is a rerollable 4+ (which equates to 75% of all glances/pens are ignored, so statistically Jack it could take 12 glance/pens from those Necrons to drop the Wave Serpent). Once again I wouldnt suggest sending a WS up the gut into a Necron force, but certainly they can zip around the board edge for a flanking attack.

Wraithguard are still at times overpriced for what they do. You will see a huge increase in plasma with more footsloggers. As a SW player I have 2 squads of GH with 2 plasmaguns in each and a drop pod with 5 combiplasma which would put a dent in the wraithguard unit. In close combat, sure marines might not kill the wraithguard- they dont have to, all they have to do is tie the unit up and it does nothing. 10 Marines are what 150 pts? 6 Wraithguard with the farseer and warlock are close to 300. 6 WG strike, 3 hits, 3 wounds, farseer adds a wound, marines lose 1 tac member- they don't need to do any wounds back. Again, I am not saying they are bad, I am saying you need a dedicated close combat unit such as Harlequins to bail them out if they get tarpitted. WG should be shooting, not tied up in CC.

Jarry if you are playing Guard you have it easy. Fliers are the best units in the game right now and the Vendetta is most likely at the top of the heap. You can't go wrong with 3 of them flying solo. You could take squads but I dont know that anyone besides Crons would want to play you. Chims are still dirt cheat for what they do and Hydras are still very good against enemy fliers (but with the Vendetta's I dont know that you need them).

A quick two cents - after 5 games so far in sixth.

If you want a fun backline harassment unit instead of hawks consider warpspiders for almost the same cost and the exarch can be given an AP 1 rifle.

Fire dragons - Can see a use for crackshot if you've got a aegis with a quad gun otherwise agree with the above.. But im not overly excited by fortifications that said im pretty sure the skyshield cannot be shot off the board unlike the bastion. Not it has no armour value etc. Honestly if you were to keep them i'd be more inclined to give them a serpent.

Again a warlock with a spear adds a lot to guardians, i.e can kill dreadnaughts in hand to hand instead of having to run.

There are a lot of what seem like well thought out posts, Im not sure if it was covered. But why are you only running 1 fire prism? 2, is infinitely better.

Quote Originally Posted by sturguard View Post

Wraithguard are still at times overpriced for what they do. You will see a huge increase in plasma with more footsloggers. As a SW player I have 2 squads of GH with 2 plasmaguns in each and a drop pod with 5 combiplasma which would put a dent in the wraithguard unit. In close combat, sure marines might not kill the wraithguard- they dont have to, all they have to do is tie the unit up and it does nothing. 10 Marines are what 150 pts? 6 Wraithguard with the farseer and warlock are close to 300. 6 WG strike, 3 hits, 3 wounds, farseer adds a wound, marines lose 1 tac member- they don't need to do any wounds back. Again, I am not saying they are bad, I am saying you need a dedicated close combat unit such as Harlequins to bail them out if they get tarpitted. WG should be shooting, not tied up in CC.
    Wraithguard are most tough troops choice in the game. And now in 6th they are a beast. Always take 10 of them. I have fwe games pass me and tournament. And my score so far is 4-2-0. I run them accompanied with 2 farseers and warlock (witchblade everyone) and can tell you they can handle in CC, especialy with enhance on warlock. I must say necrons have most problem to deal with them. Truth is they have 10 harlies behind, just in case If they are overpriced then only about few points, heck how much you want to pay for S5 T6 3+ model. 10 marines vs 10 WG are joke.

Jack, if you are going to do the math, do it correct. 10 shots equals 1.1 glance. (130 pts dedicated to taking out the WS).
    I said 1 Glance, are you really saying I did math wrong since i said one and your saying 1.1 which in Dice MUST be rounded since DICE DONT HAVE FRACTIONAL SIDES. Also 130 pts of Warriors who have nothing else to shoot at is not a waste of points. not to mention you seem to think its just a WS, its not...its a WS with a scoring unit inside, possible firedragons.

Now the A-Barge, between the reroll and having to get a "6" which doesn't always happen, most likely he gets 5. Of those 5, 1.65 glance/pen, so we have 2.7 glance/pens thus far, if you want to round it to 3, then the WS should save 1 of those.
    Getting a 6 happens 16% of each roll. Period. You hit w/ 3 outta 4 shots with BS 3 and get to reroll 1, odds of rolling a 6 outta 5 dice...almost a 1 in six so its likely you will get a six, plus mathematically you hit with all 4 anyway ending up with 6 S7 hits. Do your math again, mine is sound yours is off.

Now we are up to 220 pts dedicated to taking out the WS. If we use another A-Barge and get another 1.65 glances, the wave serpent could certainly get lucky and save that with the reroll. My point is this, if you are spending 2-3 times the cost of the Wave Serpent to shoot it down, there are other units that will not be fired upon at all. Moreover, if that WS moves flat out, the save is a rerollable 4+ (which equates to 75% of all glances/pens are ignored, so statistically Jack it could take 12 glance/pens from those Necrons to drop the Wave Serpent). Once again I wouldnt suggest sending a WS up the gut into a Necron force, but certainly they can zip around the board edge for a flanking attack.
    220 pts to take out 238 pts of WS and Firedragons...doesnt sound bad to me. Like I said ...do you math. And you say there are other units taht wont be shot at? what other units? He has 3 WS's a Nightspinner and a Fire prism.
    You say your 4+ cover from flat out is rerollable? why is this? do you mean Fortune? ok..but what about your other 2 WS's you cant fortune all of them. So your fudging your math..tsk tsk...teacher would be mad.

As a SW player I have 2 squads of GH with 2 plasmaguns in each and a drop pod with 5 combiplasma which would put a dent in the wraithguard unit. In close combat, sure marines might not kill the wraithguard- they dont have to, all they have to do is tie the unit up and it does nothing. 10 Marines are what 150 pts?
    As a Eldar palyer Ive had no problems from Space Wolves....EVER under any circumstance..I took a tournament 3 weeks ago 5-0 first player was SW his only loss was to me...I took him out with no trouble....none. Good luck with plasma as I get cover from Conceal and a reroll from Fortune. Or with a Wraithseer I get Feel No Pain as well....and if your using plasma on me your not using the ENTIRE squad on anything else... And speaking of all that Plasma...if I was so scared of it, I would enjoy CC because I know I wont lose..but Ill be there for a while slowly winning...so the rest of my army can take out your Plasma and I still win the game.

Again, I am not saying they are bad, I am saying you need a dedicated close combat unit such as Harlequins to bail them out if they get tarpitted. WG should be shooting, not tied up in CC.
    Your right, itsa last ditch effort...And I do take Harlequins...together nothing beats em. And ive seen Entire armies fall to just that idea of trying to take both of them out.
    Anyway hope this helps

Hey guys, Thanks for all the opinions and such. I know he's been changing things around on his list and has been referring to all of your advice. Tonight him and I are going to play a match and He'll keep working at it. I'm not sure how the list has changed at this point but, I think he decided to take dark Eldar as an ally for his 1500. Sadly I don't think he has the cash for the wraith guard unit. Also great thanks to everyone who has commented on the transports. We haven't played yet and as such have no idea how vehicles will be playing besides what we hear. I agree it does seem like lists will be much more infantry based. I think he does have 3 warlocks and I think he may end up adding those in.

Clide, Good point and I think that he has actually decided to only run the nightspinner.

I know he has replaced his swooping hawks with scourges too. Anyways thanks everyone. He is fairly new to Eldar and I'm sure his list is getting more and more refined. I might repost it after tonight's match.

hi,
    im not going to comment on what others have said but the one thing that really stuck me from your list is the lack of assaulting units. should you ever come up against tyranids or orks the likelyhood is that they WILL get into combat with you, purely because of the sheer number of them. Try adding a banshee squad or some harlequins: expensive, perhaps, but i always take harlequins with a shadowseer and they have never ever failed to fulfil their pupose.

Now, i appreciate that you may want to transport your units and i will always put my fire dragons in a wave serpent, but having three of them? Personally, i believe that it's unneccesary. The guardians can move perfectly adequatly on foot, giving them the opportunity to shoot too. If you want some mobile troops, jetbikes are perfect. in one turn they can go approx. 36"! Brilliant for flanking and last minute objective-seizing.

I have swooping hawks and baharroth but agree that they are a little bit poor (unless youre doing planetstrike, but not the case here). Drop them and add a vyper or two, or maybe some warp spiders if you still want a deep striking ability.

Pathfinders are brilliant, i would always use them.

I dont really know your game style at all, but having two tanks in heavy support, plus the wave serpents seems a bit heavy. Maybe a dark reaper squad, or a wraithlord. Both can provide equal or more fire-power with greater diversity.

I hope thats helpful for future matches, even if im too late for this match

Bryceolack