So, I played my second game with my guard last night, and my first game with them in 6th ed (my 2nd 6th ed game, overall).
Lord Commissar (Power Fist, Meltabombs, Close Combat Weapon)
Company Command (4x Meltaguns, Bolt Pistol on Captain), Officer of the Fleet, in Chimera
6 Battle Psykers, in Chimera
3x3 Mortars (blobbed with Command Squad)
Command Squad with Mortar, Grenade Launcher
2xInfantry Squad, with 1 Grenade Launcher each (run as a blob)
Veteran Squad with 2 Melta Guns, Grenade Launcher
1x2 Valkyries with Multilaser, MRP, Heavy Bolters
2x1 Valkyrie with Multilaser, MRP, Heavy Bolters
Aegis Defen[s/c]e Line
2xFlyrant with Scything Talons
2xTervigon (which he somehow rolled Gate for both)
Lots of Gaunts; at least two squads to start, but they kept getting birthed by the above.
4x3 Hive Guard
Doom of Malantai
2x5 Shrike Broods (not exactly sure how they were armed)
How it went:
No LoS blocking terrain, spare one small building on my side
Original roll was for Heavy Guns Never Tire, but he talked me into re-rolling ("you'll never get me off the objectives", he claimed; in reflection, I'm resentful of this sort of beardiness), and the new roll was Purge the Alien.
He rolled first turn.
He setup along the front edge of the diagonal in gunline style.
I castled up around the small ruin in my DZ, placing most mortars on top of it, and made a wall around it with my Aegis Line, fitting everything inside (this was a grave error).
- On his first, his Hive Tyrant Vector Struck one unit of Ratlings (in area terrain outside of my DZ), killing 3 and causing them to retreat.
- One unit of Shrikes assaulted the other unit of Ratlings (likewise in area terrain outside of my DZ), wiping them out.
- His Hive Guard Destroyed the Medusa and a Hydra.
- The Tervigons gated next to my lines, birthed Gaunts.
- In assault, the Tervigons charged into my lines (in retrospect, I wonder if the could do that?), and broke my infantry blob, sending it off the board.
Simply put, the game seemed mostly over at this point.
On my first turn, I:
- may have killed a few Gaunts and perhaps a Hive Guard or two with the Manticore and Psyker Battle Squad (they rolled AP1)
- knocked down one Flyrant with a Hydra, causing one wound
On his next,
- one Flyrant came through my lines after Vector Striking my Manticore (to no effect).
- Hive Guard killed the second Hydra and the Chimera containing the Psyker Battle Squad. 3 Psykers died in the Explosion result.
- The other Tervigon birthed Gaunts near my Command Chimera.
- In assault, the Gaunts popped the Chimera, and had deployed in such a way so that the unit inside was destroyed by virture of my inability to place models.
On my second, it seemed most everything scattered off.
- The double unit of Valks came in, as did one singleton. They shot at a few things to little effect (e.g. killed a fair number of Gaunts) and did perhaps a wound here or there against Hive Guard or Hive Tyrants.
- The mortars shot and killed some Gaunts in his gunline, but
- the Manticore completely scattered off target, even with 3 Barrages rolled.
- The Ratlings re-grouped, but failed to hit anything.
On his next turn,
- Hive Guard scored enough sixes to blow up the Valkyrie with the Lord Commissar and Veterans. He and one veteran survived the crash.
- The Hive Tyrant got into the mortars and killed 4. They ran and were overrun.
- Shrikes descended upon the Commissar and Veteran, wiping them out.
On my next, the Valks shot at some things to little effect.
The two Ratlings missed again.
Not a fun game; very one-sided.
(Rather brutal) reflections on my list and play:
- I never fired the heavy bolters on the Valks (for 40 wasted points)
- I forgot about the effect of the Officer of the Fleet, but his Doom came in so late that it was a moot point.
- Setting up my infantry between vehicles and an Aegis Line might look cool, but is a terrible tactic.
- Running an Aegis Line against Tyranids really seemed to do more harm than good.
- Running a blob squad without a Comissar was quite daft.
- Riding things in Valkyries is probably not the way to do it, given crashing flyers. Taking advantaged of the open board to somewhat safely do and immediate drop-chuting melta gun suicide run was probably in order.
- Fielding an infantry platoon but forgetting to use orders is a big mistake.
- Setting a trasport with one side blocked by a ruin is a big mistake.
- Not moving a Chimera is a big mistake.