Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Where I try to rediscover my enthusiasm for painting

Where I try to rediscover my enthusiasm for painting

Evening all.

After pretty much a total break from painting for a couple of years or so due to an assortment of other commitments I've recently found myself with some spare time on my hands (mainly due to crap weather meaning cricket matches have been cancelled) and decided to pick up my brushes again. In a bid to get back in to it I've decided rather than start a big project like a new army, I would stick to small projects and have a bash at colouring in any odd models or small regiment that takes my fancy. I'm finding it hard to rediscover my old enthusiasm though and thought I'd start posting some pics here in the hope that with some encouragement and constructive comments from the good folks on Warseer i might actually get some stuff finished. And who knows maybe even get up the motivation to finish the Night Goblin army I've been painting since Skull Pass was released.

First thing I've started... well finished off really is some old plastic dark elf swordsmen. These have been sat on my desk for probably the last 3 years so only fair they got finished off first. I've only got the bases to do, and no doubt I'll spot some odd finishing touches that need doing
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dark elves.jpg 
Views:	280 
Size:	171.2 KB 
ID:	145877

I've also made a start on an Empire Great Canon. I'm still undecided on which colour scheme to go for on the crew, leaning towards Ostermark.

Name:	canon1.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	135.7 KB 
ID:	145878 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	canon2.jpg 
Views:	286 
Size:	374.5 KB 
ID:	145879

The final thing I'm working on is a converted/scratch built Nurgle Chaos Snail. It's an idea I've had in mind for years and years and figured now was the time to have a go, especially having picked up a back of decorative shells from the closing down sale at my local garden centre.

Name:	snail1.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	174.3 KB 
ID:	145881 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	snail2.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	172.6 KB 
ID:	145882

Still needs a lot of work but I think you can get the general idea from what I've managed so far. Need to get some new Greenstuff before i can finish this one.

Thanks in advance for looking and i look forward to comments and suggestions.

Cheers

Tom

Re: Where I try to rediscover my enthusiasm for painting

Ha! The snail monster is excellent!
    My random painting log: HereBeDragons' Paintathon

Break even Painting target 2012: 212 models. Number complete: 212 !!!!!!!!
    Break even painting target 2013: 268 models. Number complete: 59
    Break even painting target 2014: 325 models. Number complete: 175
    Break even painting target 2015: 836 models. Number complete: 156
    Break even painting target 2016: 238 models. Number complete: 9

Those are some old dark elves, nice paint job in an almost classic style as well. Same colours, better painting.

Small projects are nice to get things done, those same Night Goblins are giving me a paint block over and over again. Going with the flow works best for me. If it is a one off project with the cannon take sme colours you have not used before. Besides getting possibly more paint it will give you experience with choosing colours.

Nice conversion for the snail, was there ever a model/rule for it? Scibor Miniatures seems to have a lot of them as well.
    my general project thread

[2016] painted: 24, added to my collection after sales and trades: 5
    [2017] painted: 25, added to my collection after sales and trades: -127

Well it's been a while since i posted anything on here hasn't it. In my defence I have moved house which cut in to my already limited painting time.

I've managed to finished the Dark Elves and do a bit more on the cannon. Poor old snail/hermit crab monster has been gathering dust though i'm afraid.

A few pic of the canon.

Name:	DSC06268.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	123.0 KB 
ID:	160822

Name:	DSC06269.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	141.2 KB 
ID:	160823

Decided on Nordland colours in the end. I've done some empire models in those colours before and I think they are my favourite colours for them. Pic of a war wagon I did about 10 years ago now by way of example. I've got 2 war wagons in a box somewhere that i'll get round to building and painting sometime, although having seen the price they're going for on a well known internet auction site i'm tempted to just sell.

Name:	WarWagon1.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	208.2 KB 
ID:	160824

Promise i will try to post again soon.

Happy painting.

Tom

Man, you were a great painter ten years ago already! Still going strong too, I see. If you are trying to rediscover your enthusiasm, let me just tell you I am enthusiastic for you. Your painting looks great. I don't see many Nordland armies either, so that's cool. Don't sell the war wagons, go war wagon spam!! How awesome would that army look?! But if there are any of those old sixth edition Spearmen you dislike, Talabecland welcomes them all. They will have a fine home down by the river Taal.
    The Tabletop Showcase - A new forum dedicated solely to Project Logs and Showcases - Join us now!

The Daniel36 Chronicles - My Project Log
    My Warseer Heroes : JuicyTomatoes - Emperor Norton - Harry - Lord Dan - Ramius4 - Naitsabes - Little Joe - Boreas_NL
    (in no particular order)

Many thanks for the kind comments so far. I'm afraid i haven't got any 6th edition spearmen Daniel36. I've got several boxes of the original multipart plastic empire soldiers knocking around. I've got a few ideas about what i might do with them, mainly involving combining with parts from the militia kit to create some more rough and ready looking units. Like the idea of war wagon spam. My brother keeps telling me i should do an articulated war wagon pulled by a steam tank with them.

Anyway just for a sense of completeness, and to prove I have actually finished something, here's a pic of the completed Dark Elves.

Name:	DSC06273 (1024x556).jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	401.0 KB 
ID:	160858

Librarian

I think your snail will look amazing when it's finished! Icky in the good way!

Very nice. The snail does look pretty cool and those dark elves are amazing .
    Here is a link to the WarSeer Forum FAQ. Please read it. Want to support WarSeer? Here's how.

Blood for the Blood God!: My Word Bearers Plog

Chapter Master Whitwort Stormbringer's Avatar

The snail is awesome, definitely looking forward to seeing how that fellow comes out (and tempted to crank out a few myself for my Nurgle WoC!). It reminds me of an old dragon ogre conversion I saw once, which was the ogre torso, head, and arms placed in the opening of an upside-down snail shell which itself had numerous spikes serving as the legs.
    The great thing about the dwarves is that, even though there's this comic element, when they fight - they really fight!

My infrequently updated nerd blog.

No worries! Even if you had them, Talabecland would'nt have minded if they stayed in Nordland. We rather have our neighbours do all the fighting while we stay in relative peace. Them Beastmen and ghastly Ghouls are enough trouble as is.

I forgot to say, excellent snail! I've had that idea myself for ages as well, but I never got around to actually doing it. I think I saw it in a White Dwarf too one time. It looks great. Are you going to keep it at 1, or are you going for a small unit?
    The Tabletop Showcase - A new forum dedicated solely to Project Logs and Showcases - Join us now!

The Daniel36 Chronicles - My Project Log
    My Warseer Heroes : JuicyTomatoes - Emperor Norton - Harry - Lord Dan - Ramius4 - Naitsabes - Little Joe - Boreas_NL
    (in no particular order)

A small update. Not much progress on the canon I'm afraid. One crewman finished and made a bit of a start on the shirts of the other two.

Name:	DSC06276.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	161.5 KB 
ID:	162054

I have however managed to finish off some Dwarf Clansmen from the Skull Pass boxed set that I started many moons ago. Quite pleased with how they've come out. Not sure how I'm going to base them yet though.

Name:	DSC06278.jpg 
Views:	388 
Size:	234.7 KB 
ID:	162055

I've got 2 weeks of leave from work to use up before the end of March so I might manage a few more substantial posts sometime soon.

As always thanks for looking and for all the encouragement I've received so far.

Cheers

Tom

Librarian

The blue and yellow look very nice, I think they work really well together

Articulated War Wagon?!? Pulled by a Steam Tank?!? Sounds like a splendid idea to me.

Do it. You know you want to.

Hello again folks,

Bit of an update, pretty much finished the cannon at the weekend so thought I'd post a couple of pictures.

Name:	DSC06288.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	215.4 KB 
ID:	164146Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC06291.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	203.3 KB 
ID:	164147

Overall I'm quite happy with how it's come out. Looking at the pics I've noticed a few small touch ups that are needed, and i think the blue might need an extra highlight. Not quite sure how to do the bases yet, might do a scenic base to mount it on.

Not sure what to do next. I've had a bit of a rummage through my draws and boxes of stuff and found a few possibilities:

Something for my night goblin army
    More Dwarves
    Goblin Spider Riders
    Some ancient plastic space marines
    Some Black Tree Designs models I was converting to chaos marauders
    A converted Chaos Centaur Knight standard bearer
    Moria Goblins
    40k models from an Inquisitor retinue - I converted the Inquisitor into a Nurgle chaos champion
    Fenrisian Wolves
    More Empire (G if you buy me a steam tank I'll do the articulated war wagon)
    And yes i know I've got Crabbo/Snailo monster to finish.

Open to the good folks of Warseer persuading me towards any of the above.

As always comments and constructive criticism is very welcome.

Cheers for now

Tom

Librarian

I'd love to see the wolves please !

Nice, I really like the Chaos Snail, looks extremely nasty, almost so you don't want to touch the model.

Cool to see some Nordland colours too, a friend of mine in our local gaming club also does Nordland.
    Ogres, Tyranids and recently I've gone back to my roots to finish and upgrade my Wood Elf army. - Gutplates and Hive Minds

Chapter Master

Night Goblins!

But that cannon crew is excellent. You really paint very neatly and your cannon reflects this (pun intended!). Also, well done on the dwarves, I find the models infuriating to paint so its nice to see that you've done really well with them.
    Warhammer Armies: Empire, Night Goblins, Dwarves, Daemons of Chaos
    40K Armies: Chaos, Imperial Guard, Ultramarines, Chaos Daemons, Tyranids, Tau
    Epic Armies: Imperial Guard, Ultramarines, Orks, Adeptus Titanicus.
    BFG Forces: Imperial Navy, Chaos.
    See them all here: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...-of-everything

Afternoon all,

Brief update. Seems as I've actually managed to finish a few things, treated myself to these in the week care of Ken Bromley Art Supplies.

Name:	DSC06292.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	127.1 KB 
ID:	164488

Expensive as far as brushes go but always worth the investment in my opinion, and i was due some new ones.

And in a shameless attempt to please all the people all the time, next 2 projects on the workbench are...

Name:	DSC06295.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	164.7 KB 
ID:	164489

Name:	DSC06297.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	128.7 KB 
ID:	164490

Cheers for now

Tom

P.S. If anyone can tell me how to get the pictures to appear "big" in the post rather than having to click on the little image I'd be much obliged.

Chapter Master

I use photobucket and then link them into my plog using [ i m g ] tags.
    Warhammer Armies: Empire, Night Goblins, Dwarves, Daemons of Chaos
    40K Armies: Chaos, Imperial Guard, Ultramarines, Chaos Daemons, Tyranids, Tau
    Epic Armies: Imperial Guard, Ultramarines, Orks, Adeptus Titanicus.
    BFG Forces: Imperial Navy, Chaos.
    See them all here: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...-of-everything

Evening all,

Quick update. No progress on the Wolves but....

Name:	DSC06311.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	100.7 KB 
ID:	164774

I Have finished my Skull Pass Night Goblin Boss. Will post a group shot of my Night Goblins so far sometime this week.

Thanks for looking.

Tom

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast