Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Where I try to rediscover my enthusiasm for painting

Chapter Master

Re: Where I try to rediscover my enthusiasm for painting

And a lovely little gobbo he is too. I like the squig and snow basing and will look forward to seeing the group shot later. Hurrah for night gobbo's.
    Warhammer Armies: Empire, Night Goblins, Dwarves, Daemons of Chaos
    40K Armies: Chaos, Imperial Guard, Ultramarines, Chaos Daemons, Tyranids, Tau
    Epic Armies: Imperial Guard, Ultramarines, Orks, Adeptus Titanicus.
    BFG Forces: Imperial Navy, Chaos.
    See them all here: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...-of-everything

As promised, group shots of my Night Goblins. I did have a plog going just for these but it died a death a few years ago now.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC06316.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	298.3 KB 
ID:	164844Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC06318.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	354.1 KB 
ID:	164845

Name:	DSC06317.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	270.0 KB 
ID:	164842Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC06314.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	341.9 KB 
ID:	164843

A big thank you to all who have had a nosey at this plog so far, and extra thanks to those of you who have left comments and encouragement, it's much appreciated.

Cheers for now

Tom

Chapter Master

Something very christmasy about those guys. Now I have an urge to do a night gobbo sleigh pulled by squigs, (possibly with squig presents!). Excellent work on the Night gobbo's and really impressed with the speed you made through them.

Cheers for the comments Sureshot. Wish I could paint that fast. These have been on the go since BFSP was released (2007?) just thought i'd post a group shot of progress on the army as a whole.

Night Gobbo sleigh is a supurb idea. Might have to steal it.

The NG are looking fantastic! Love the colors you chose and the neat, sharp painting you've got going on. It will be a smashing army to field on the table so keep plugging away!
    "Alea Iacta Est"
    Seutonius

Evening all,

Bit of an update. Finished my first Fenrisian Wolf. Did this one as a tester really. I'm not entirely happy with how it's come out but please let me know what you guys think. Might look better when i decide how i want to do the base.

Name:	DSC06320.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	172.3 KB 
ID:	165529

Also started on an Empire Captain on foot. He will be painted in Nordland colours to match my cannon.

Name:	DSC06323.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	128.5 KB 
ID:	165530

Cheers for now

Tom

Commander

Awesome work here. The Chaos Snail has me really intrigued, mind if I steal some inspiration?
    Your painting is very clean and consistent. Big fan of the Squigs, the yellow/orange color makes them look 'cute' in a devious way. At least in my mind. And awesome Fenrisian Wolf. Very nice work with the fur.
    Will be watching

Afternoon all,

Not updated for a while so thought it about time I did.

Completed the Fenrisian Wolves, well apart from the bases. I really must get round to a basing session.

Name:	DSC06385.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	127.7 KB 
ID:	166707Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC06387.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	140.5 KB 
ID:	166708Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC06389.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	183.5 KB 
ID:	166709

As always thanks for looking, comments, criticism, and suggestions are welcome.

Cheers

Tom

Hello,

Just a quick update to say I've done the bases on the wolves.

Name:	DSC06393.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	111.3 KB 
ID:	167023Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC06395.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	180.6 KB 
ID:	167024

I've gone for long grass made from an old emulsion brush, and leaf litter. Never used the leaf litter before even though I've had a bag of it for yonks. Not sure I'm convinced about the final effect. Let me know what you guys think.

Cheers

Tom

Afternoon All,

About time this plog was resurrected. Painting has been on a bit of a hiatus for a few months. The weather has been good this summer so my cricketing commitments have taken up pretty much all of my weekends so very little time for painting.

Anyway I have still managed to do a few things:

First up, I've been putting together a small unit of Dark Elves with crossbows. I've used bits from the Warriors and Corsairs boxes.

Name:	DSC06597.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	172.0 KB 
ID:	178550

Secondly I've been painting a Skaven Warpwire Thrower for a pal at work. Just needs a few final touches and basing.

Name:	DSC06607.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	192.0 KB 
ID:	178551Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC06608.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	158.9 KB 
ID:	178552

Thirdly I've been working on a Captain to go with my Empire Cannon. Still lots to do on him.

Name:	DSC06615.JPG 
Views:	51 
Size:	351.8 KB 
ID:	178553

Lastly I picked up a job lot of models and paints from a work colleague. Most the models were not that well painted so I've been stripping them off and deciding what I want to keep and what I want to sell off. Already got rid of some Eldar models and pretty much made my money back so quite pleased.

As always, thanks for looking and I'll try to get a few more things painted and pictures posted up over the autumn and winter.

Cheers

Tom

Just a quick update. Finished the Skaven...

Name:	DSC06628.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	196.8 KB 
ID:	178867

Cheers

Tom

Chapter Master

Good to see them. Like yourself, I have breaks and chops and changes depending on how my current project enthralls me (as do all but the most hardcore painters ). The rat man is very clean and crisp, with some excellent painting. How did you do the green smoke? I wouldn't mind trying a similar effect on my flames, but would like to know how to get it right.

Thanks for the comments Sureshot05. I enjoyed doing the Skaven and my pal at work was dead chuffed when I took them in for him today.

The grey smoke was pretty simple. Base coat of Fortress Grey. Wash of Scorpion Green and Dark Angels Green mix (about 5:1 I think). Drybrush with Fortress Grey. Drybrush with white.

Started filing mould lines off some more Night Goblins tonight so might paint them next....

Cheers

Tom

Evening All,

Not a great deal to update. I've finished a few Night Gobbo archers (4 down, 36 to go!!!). In the style of my other night goblins, they are pretty basic but I intend to go back and add some embellishments to the whole army once it's completed to this basic standard, which might be by the time I retire at the rate I'm going!

Name:	DSC06630 (640x260).jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	140.6 KB 
ID:	180049

Also my mate from work was pleased with the skaven warpfire thrower so he's given me a high elf swordmaster to have a bash at. Still very much work in progress.

Name:	DSC06637.JPG 
Views:	47 
Size:	436.6 KB 
ID:	180050

As always cheers for looking, comments and constructive criticism is always welcome.

Cheers

Tom

Another brief update...

Finished the Swordmaster.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    I'm quite happy with how he's come out. I can count on one hand the High Elves I've painted in all the years I've been wielding a brush so was nice to try something new. The Deep red clothes and plume are probably a bit brighter than they look in the photo.

Not sure what to move on to next. Eagle eyed viewers will note a Dreadnaught lurking in the background, and I've got some Space Marines knocking about that I picked up cheap from the swop shop at work. They look like they've been put together by a blind Gibbon and will need a lot of work to rescue, but they were VERY cheap. I've been doing a few colour testers to try to decide on what chapter they will belong to. Not happy with any of them so far. I'll keep you posted.

Other than that I've got a few things that have featured in earlier posts to finish off, and of course there is always more Night Goblins!!!

Cheers for looking.

Tom

Nice painting on the Swordmaster! The blue is nice!
    "Alea Iacta Est"
    Seutonius

Afternoon All,

Firstly I must apologies for not posting an update for a while. Real life has had a habit of very much getting in the way, not least of which being a recurrent shoulder problem which has meant being hunched over a desk has been rather painful.

The good news however is that I've had last week off work and have managed to do a bit of painting. Woohoo! And have fired off a few quick photos to share this afternoon.

Managed to finished 5 Space Marines.

I've never been a fan of Space Marines and have never played 40k (I suspect the GW Inquisition will be calling shortly after that admission), but having picked up a load for dirt cheap from a work colleague I thought I'd have a bash. Whilst I'm not entirely happy with the results I think they've come out ok considering they didn't take long by my standards.

Also finished a few more Night Goblins apart from basing them to match the rest of my army.

Only 32 more to go!

Comments, encouragement and constructive criticism is always welcome. Always great to learn from fellow Warseerers.

Thanks for looking.

Cheers

Tom
    Last edited by tcmainprize; 25-01-2014 at 15:44.

Welcome back. Those Marines look really well done. Not a fan of them either, but you did them justice. They look way nicer than I usually see them. Keep up!!

Evening All,

Bit of an update on what I've been doing... Over the last week or so I set myself the target of getting those remaining pesky Night Goblin Archers all prepared and undercoated. Which I have achieved, and even managed the first dark blue drybrush highlight on the robes.

Name:	DSC06726_zps6043651a.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	67.5 KB 
ID:	187030

My next target will be to get the robes fully highlighted up with the 3 or 4 progressively lighter drybrushes. I reckon I can probably get that done over the next fortnight. Really want to break the back of painting these before I move on to the more interesting bits of the army... talking of which. My Goblin Shelf!!!

Name:	DSC06723_zpsa98ab535.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	73.5 KB 
ID:	187029

The blister packs are 3 Stone Trolls, The Warlord with the big axe, and some old metal netters which I may not use as they're a bot big compared to the newer plastics.
    In the box are 5 Squig Hoppers.
    Not in the picture is another Squig Herd which is currently being stripped.

Before I go...

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel36 View Post
    Welcome back. Those Marines look really well done. Not a fan of them either, but you did them justice. They look way nicer than I usually see them. Keep up!!
    Thanks Daniel. I've got a few more Marines and a Dreadnaught in the pipeline as well as Night Goblin multitudes so good to know you like them.

Cheers for now

Tom

Afternoon All,

Thought it was about time I posted an update on what I've been doing. Nothing too exciting I'm afraid, I've been slogging my way through the remainder of my Night Goblin archers, and finally they are finished. Woohoo!

[IMG][/IMG]

I'm pretty pleased I've got them all painted up. They are at a pretty basic standard but when I've got the whole army finished I intend to go back and add in some extra details such as adding the flame design round the hoods on a few more goblins, if not all of them.

Going to have a bit of a break from Goblins first though and paint up a few other things. First thing will be a Rat Ogre for a mate. He's still under construction at the moment so I'll add some pics once I get started with the paint.

Cheers for now.

Tom
    Last edited by tcmainprize; 26-05-2014 at 14:54.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast