So, this project will be the major focus of my threads, and It will be updated as progress continues.
I started this project early this year, after ruling out the choice of carving a Cobra from a solid block of Styrofoam, i opted instead to use Fridge packing styrofoam pieces that were left in the shed.
To my surprise and delight, four pieces, when arranged and stacked appropriately, resembled the foredeck of an Imperial ship, complete with ready made Port and Starboard weapon batteries. I then cut sections of high "lip" pieces to form the segmented keel that leads into the prow.
The prow was carved from the floor and ceiling styrofoam platforms, then stacked and glued together, before being secured to the foredeck section via pencils as stable spines, and Hot Glue.
A friend at the wargames club i attend provided me with washing machine styrofoam packaging, several pieces of which were ideal for an engine block, and subsequent sternward hull.the "wings" were cut from the corner lips of the floor and ceiling platforms. the bridge was created using another washing machine packaging piece, and the styrofoam cap of a christmas pyramid light decoraction. kebab skewers served me well in helping to secure the foredeck section and also provided antennae looking spires, which i believe add tot eh ship's aesthetic.
With the vast majority of the ship constructed and glued together, i decided to take some snaps.
The result of weeks of effort. notice the lack of stern wing guards.
The skull atop the prow was a disused ornament pulled from the living room bookshelf. It will be used as the housing for the main weapons battery.
I apologise for the less-than-adequate lighting.
Plastic space marine figures from the Assault on Black Reach box set were used as giant statues on the foredeck and bridge. the bridge mounted statue is the Captain figure from AoBR
Poor quality. A thousand pardons.
two styrofoam pieces positioned as the lower portion of the sternward hull allowed me to utilise them as a maintenance vehicle bay, with one side having it's bay doors open, revealing two repair land raiders and a rhino within.
notice the vintage Epic Land Raiders.
the above pictures were taken some time ago.
As of today, July 31st, the Destroyer currently looks like this:
As you can see, i have begun to Undercoat her. She's looking damn fine.
She requires a painstaking three full coats of black gauche paint before she is protected enough to be sprayed gray.
For context, this destroyer will be used in a large game of epic at the wargames club i participate in, where it will be scenery/ an objective. it has crash landed after sustaining heavy engine damage from an ill-fated exchange with an Ork Kroozer. The Inquisitor aboard has sent a distress beacon, which a Crimson Fist Strike Cruiser has responded to. The marines must safeguard and extract the inquisitor while withstanding ever-increasing tides of Orks (thats the rough scenario).
Updates when i've got her fully undercoated.