After many a year of looking over my shoulder with mild interest at Epic in its various incarnations, I finally caved in and decided to try it out. From what I've read, NetEpic and Epic: Armageddon are the two popular rulesets, while Epic 40,000 (which came out just as I got into the hobby) is frequently reviled and buried in nightsoil from a great height.
I have therefore naturally decided to play... Epic 40,000!
Reasons: a) it's a complete ruleset and saves me scratching my head over the various E:A lists, b) it lets me take pretty much whatever the heck I want so I can pick up random eBay buckets of models without worrying about illegal formations, c) E:A is free anyway so I can always 'upgrade' later on if I want, and d) I just managed to score a nearly complete E40K box set thanks to the wonder of the internet. It also came with a bunch of Guard models and a teeny handful of Eldar.
Anyway, I've got a few questions - mainly because I'm having trouble finding a comprehensive guide to the model range.
1. I've got four Eldar War Walkers that each have a little hole in the back (where the legs join the torso) for some missing part or other. Anyone know what's supposed to go here? They look fine without anything there, so I'm not too fussed...
2. I also have two ridged wing-shaped things that I think might be some kind of webway gate terrain. They're about the size of the roller on an Ork battlewagon. Anyone know what they're for?
3. On the subject of terrain, there's also a square bunker/comms tower of some sort (it has a vertical radar-ish dish in the middle), which I think is meant to be used as an objective... and two mysterious pieces that look a bit like sandbag fortifications, except instead of bags they're stacked cylinders around a slightly raised cleared patch of ground. (Hard to explain - sorry, wish I had my camera with me!)
4. But wait, there's more! A black 'n' white booklet called 'Eldar Battle Host'. I think this is from one of those army deals they did back in the day, but I'm not sure. (Clearly somebody else 'borrowed' the actual models, though. I've got exactly one Guardian stand plus the walkers and two flyers...!)
5. Most of my IG figs are wearing coats (Valhallans?) but I have a few stands that look like Catachans. I didn't spot these when I browsed through the rulebooks. Are they meant to be just Guard, or some kind of special unit? (bearing in mind we're talking Epic 40K's simplified troop types here.)
6. I've got 11 Fate cards - 7x Psychic Scream/Counterattack and 4 others. I know there should be 12, but I'm not sure what the missing one should be. Another PS/C card?
7. Any advice on removing glued models from their strip bases? Some of the Guard stands are in a bad way - glued on sideways or backwards (!) and with warped bases. I'd quite like to put the Orks and Guard on round bases anyway. I thought of bathing the bases in Simple Green, which I use to strip paint off plastic 40K models, because it tends to make glue soften and multi-part figs fall apart after a while! If anyone has better advice, though, I'd love to hear it...
8. And finally--just browsing through my old WDs--why oh why were the Epic 40K Eldar Titans so hideous? They look like they've stumbled through a wisteria lattice factory!