Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lizardmen Rumours

Lizardmen Rumours

Just a couple of rumours, that I feel should be taken with a pinch of salt (actually, take a pinch of salt out of the bag, then just tip the bag over the shoulder) pertaining to the rumoured Lizards - rumour sources are as yet unverified for the most part and unreliable;

In short - monster heavy.

I have the date of a late summer/early autumn release next year for Lizardmen, which sort of matches Harry's prediction of Mid 2013.

There are whisperings of a new "super monstrous cavalry" unit; pertaining in particular to units of Carnosaur mounted Saurus; I believe this is more akin to a ridden monster rare unit like a Stonehorn. I have heard of a new plastic carnosaur (singular); as well, but nothing concrete. It will also be the first time in 8th Edition (to date) that a character will be able to ride the same monstrous beast as the unit in its army - the Empire peg-captain doesn't count, and that's presuming that Grymloq changes to MC, rather than staying as a Monster.

Slann now becomes a multi-part plastic set - availability for a Relic Priest (Kroak, including Deathmask), a normal Priest, and a special limited edition plastic combination pack (similar to the Exalted Daemon Chariot) that combines a Stegadon and a Slann Priest to recreate Mazdamundi. In addition, they get access to Disciplines, but these may not be taken more than once. Reading into rumours suggests that Slann have Loremaster (see below for reasoning).

All Saurus armies become "viable" thanks to the return of Sacred Spawnings - units can purchase Sacred Spawnings like a Mark of Chaos, while characters get access to them off the bat. One will allow them to join Temple Guard units, others will give benefits to specific units, like Magic Resistance or Devastating Charge (Sotek?), while others (like Itzl, or whatever the Cold One Riders are), are already included within their stats.

Razordons and Salamanders become a Dual part plastic Monstrous beasts + handler kits, 2 Monsters and 6 Handlers to a set.

Couatl model - working like a Terrorgheist in that it can be both a mount (rumours are to be available at sub-200 points to allow 2 to be taken for heroes in 2400 games) and a monster, presuming rare.

The Stegadons become special choices as well, with a unit "upgrade" to Ancient stats, and a weapon "upgrade" to didgeridoo blowdarts. Skink Mounts still available IIRC.

Skink Priests gain access to Beasts as well as Heavens. In addition, Skink Priests may become "attendants" to a Slann - basically I read it as a Skink Priest option allowing it access to the same Lore the Slann itself knows. Reading into that suggests that Slann have Loremaster as standard.

The return of the Arcanadon - one thing that every non-lizard player is going to hate, a pokemon venusaur/stegadon crossover which takes in solar power to create a blast of magical light, in the form of a cannonball/stone thrower/flame cannon/breath weapon monster. Although nothing concrete about the presumed dual nature of the kit, it could possibly be a much "wanted" Thunder Lizard capable of making thunderstorms. This is eerily reminiscent of the Luminarks/Hurricanums however, so I am EXTREMELY DOUBTFUL and think is little more than wishlisting. Combined with the Couatl which is also a "thunder/weather" monster, this might be crossed wires, OR wishlisting (I believe the latter, though).

Apparently Nakai will return - an apparently unbreakable "autohealing" monster non-general hero choice.

If all proves to be true, it looks like the possibility of a monster heavy army;

Lord
    - Oldblood
    -- Carnosaur
    - Kroq-Gar
    -- Carnosaur
    - Mazdamundi
    -- Stegadon
    - Tenenhauin
    -- Stegadon
    -- Couatl (?)
    - Nakai

Hero
    - Skink Priest
    -- Couatl
    -- Stegadon
    -- Terradon
    - Skink Chief
    -- Stegadon
    -- Couatl (?)
    -- Terradon
    - Tiqtaqto
    -- Terradon
    - Scar Veteran
    -- Carnosaur (?)

Core
    - Skink+Kroxigor Cohorts
    - Cold One Riders (?/reliant on Kroq Gar)

Special
    - Stegadon/Steg Ancient
    - Kroxigors
    - Terradons

Rare
    - Arcanadon
    - Thunder Lizard
    - Couatl
    - Carnosaur Monster/Carnosaur Monstrous Cavalry
    - Salamanders
    - Razordons

Assuming some points values, a 3K game can get 3 Rare Monsters, 3 Hero+Monsters, and 1-2 Lord+Monsters.

As again, HUGE pinch of salt to be taken.

Re: Lizardmen Rumours

Thanks for this dino-sized chunk of rumors!

Brilliant! If this is true, I bet it'd be excellent, albeit insanely expensive!

But is there no Gor-Rok?
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnya10 View Post
    Mmmm… Emperor on toast.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiney Norman View Post
    It doesn't matter really, over the last few years the word "finecast" has become synonymous with "poor quality models with frequent miscasts", at this point there probably isn't any word more insulting the range than "finecast" anyway.

Chapter Master

Sounds great, but I don't think this will happen. The latest releases have shown us that rules rumours are always incorrect. Certainly if it's still a year away. Same for new models. I reckon that mid spring 2013 will be the first time we will hear something solid about possible new kits for lizards.

Everything posted about Lizards in the coming months are probably wishlists or made up rumours.

Commander

Didn't Hastings say something about carnosaur calvary, I think that it is safe to assume that rumor at least is true.

It's cool that lizardmen are getting a new book, just hope that it isn't too expensive.

Why would it be more expensive than the current hardbacks?

I'd love these rumors to have a grain of truth in them, I feel that Lizards really need an update to make them an interesting army again, every time I write an army list it turns out looking exactly the same

I'd be interested to see IF the mon cav rumors pan out, would a char on monster be able to join the unit?

Brother Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Antipathy View Post
    In short - monster heavy.
    Yes please

The return of the Arcanadon
    I bet this will have an "altar" of sorts on it's back; GW seem to be giving every army an altar style thing now (according to all these rumours)

Chaplain

I really hope it isn't terribly monster heavy seeing as my own experience indicates monsters tend not to survive on the table very long . In regards to a lack of diversity I suppose one could blame the Old Ones for being too efficient and only creating one species to fill a specific role . Think about it. They have one main magic user, one combat troop, one cavalry unit, one elite troop, one monstrous infantry.....There is even a separate species of skinks to be scouts while the others are all support.

The return of sacred spawnings could help create more diversity. Returning to my above point though, fluff wise, I think the only real things they can add are more monsters, character types or combinations of existing elements (e.g. Coatl, Relic Priests, Carnosaur Cavalry). Though new character types based on existing special characters is, in my view, unlikely as it would take from the uniqueness of characters like Kroak and Chakax.
    Last edited by Adohi-Tehe; 21-08-2012 at 10:13.

I've always wanted a monster heavy lizardmen army, if only to have an excuse to play with dinosaurs after the age of five.

Sacred Spawnings made for some horribly beardy combos when they were last in (WD article?). Hopefully theyre more subtle this time around.
    Quote Originally Posted by shelfunit. View Post
    [Describing the ending of Storm of Chaos] Shower door opens, Karl Franz turns around and says "Morning..."
    Skaw's initial optimisim about Wood Elves being re-released in mid 2013 is slipping... Early 2014 ftw! [EDIT: Nailed it! ]

Prodding robed midgets with pointy sticks in the Rock.

Quote Originally Posted by SkawtheFalconer View Post
    Sacred Spawnings made for some horribly beardy combos when they were last in (WD article?). Hopefully theyre more subtle this time around.
    Elaborate? What did they do?
    Repent! For tomorrow you die!
    [Placeholder for Lizardmen quote]
    ++Nothing else is of consequence.++ Dreadnought up. 16/09/12
    Loveless-The bit about Asmodai going "Laughter? Okay, no talking - one year." is pretty much "win" in my book. Now I know that his model is pointing and shouting "Shut the ---- up!" at his target - right before unleashing a barrage of hatred-filled concussive blows. Ah, warms my heart.

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by antipathy View Post
    the return of the arcanadon - one thing that every non-lizard player is going to hate, a pokemon venusaur/stegadon crossover which takes in solar power to create a blast of magical light, in the form of a cannonball/stone thrower/flame cannon/breath weapon monster.
    omg yes, yes, yeeeesssss
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarevok View Post
    use Grey Knight rules but with nid models
    And you people complain about Chaos space wolf proxies

Quote Originally Posted by viv714r View Post
    Elaborate? What did they do?
    Sacred Spawnings were in the previous book. They did stuff like +1S, treat difficult terrain as open terrain, MR, etc. Each was associated with a particular god/Old One.

*waves hand towards the horizon* over there

Sounds very nice as far as rumours go.

Despite taking the obligatory pinch of salt it's good to see/hear some interesting new options/changes.

The big one for me though would be to hear what is getting new minis (really not a fan of 70% of the Lizardman minis GW have released) and if Kroxigors are going to be put back at strength 5.

Heck, if all goes well I may finish my Kroak sculpt and blow the dust of my Lizards.

It will also be the first time in 8th Edition (to date) that a character will be able to ride the same monstrous beast as the unit in its army
    You just HAD to rub that in, didn't you? I sincerely hope GW will errate the Empire so I can bloody take my general on a demigryph... GUH!
    Anyhoo... Looking forward to what they are going to do the Lizardmen. My least favourite army, but I am curious to see what they will do to it.
    The Tabletop Showcase - A new forum dedicated solely to Project Logs and Showcases - Join us now!

The Daniel36 Chronicles - My Project Log
    My Warseer Heroes : JuicyTomatoes - Emperor Norton - Harry - Lord Dan - Ramius4 - Naitsabes - Little Joe - Boreas_NL
    (in no particular order)

Chapter Master

I hope this is true...espec carno cavalry (makes sense fluffwise) and spawnings, and i hope there is a slann lore or 2

I'd also like relic priests to have tons of options,to make them unique and more powerful than regular slann... oh well. we can hope

Keep rumours coming

Sanjay
    Last edited by StarFyreXXX; 22-08-2012 at 01:42.

Chapter Master

Nothing on Chakax the Eternity Warden? I would be surprised if a character with some of the coolest fluff(and best LM model) in the game is left out completely. After the massive nerf to him defeating his purpose with the FAQ, I think so due diligence on GW's part is in order.

Theres nothing on Terradons in there either: MUST MEAN THEY ARE BEING DROPPED FROM THE ARMY.

Seriously, is that your only reaction on reading a list of rumours that as far as I can tell are first up on the web? Unless theres a rumour on Chakax and Gor'rok (or Terradons for that matter) being dropped from the list, then consider they are still in their. Not having a rumour up about them funnily enough means there are no rumours, good or bad about them.

Chapter Master

I care nothing for your terradons....Chakax is the only model that matters with LM. JK :P But yes with the large amount of information that was posted, all the new stuff, the interesting monster mash stuff and so forth, first thought was, where is Lord(well he should be) Chakax? Looks like a nice collection of stuff. We shall see as time goes. Is it just me or is it odd that we have more rumors out waaaay before release than we do shortly before release with the whole current GW information lockdown?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast