Thread: Mordheim help desperately needed

Mordheim help desperately needed

I really want to start playing mordheim, however I have no idea of what type of warband to take. Just not human mercenaries or high elves (my 3,000 empire and high elf army is enough of humans and high elves!) any veteran players advise would be really useful and greatly appreciated! Thanks guys!

Re: Mordheim help desperately needed

You might want to have this thread moved to the Mordheim subforum...

There are plenty of other human warbands other than mercenaries (Witch Hunters, Sisters of Sigmar and The Cult of the Possessed, sticking with the basic rulebook). If you want a warband that is fairly durable and only requires a low model count, how about Dwarf Treasure Hunters? Do you have any criteria that can help you choose a warband (e.g. tactically forgiving, easy to model, cheap to buy, etc.)?

At the minute I'm quite interested in skaven and vampire counts if you could shed some light on their respective strengths and weaknesses it would be much appreciated!!

Veteran Sergeant sugnathefeeble's Avatar

I was thinking about using the rats but wnt with undead in 5 games I only lost once

So the undead are a decent warband? I kinda liked the idea of a skaven warband with slings and a rat ogre though! I might have go to that way!

Scout

Undead are ok. Good to start with but after a while they become really boring to play with and less powerful as the campaign goes on. If you are playing them may I recommend the Crow Master from Town Cryer issue 25, he's a steal at 15gc upkeep and knows all the necromancy spells.

Skaven are pretty cool but I'd max out the numbers before getting a rat Ogre.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaydem View Post
    Undead are ok. Good to start with but after a while they become really boring to play with and less powerful as the campaign goes on. If you are playing them may I recommend the Crow Master from Town Cryer issue 25, he's a steal at 15gc upkeep and knows all the necromancy spells.

Skaven are pretty cool but I'd max out the numbers before getting a rat Ogre.
    I agree with the above. However, there is another strategy for the Skaven and that is to max your heroes and take a Rat Ogre. This is a gamble at the beginning because if he drops and you roll 1-2 in the post-game phase, he is gone forever and you are out a huge chunk of your starting income. Most players agree that Skaven can be overpowered if you max out the 20 models with slings everywhere, so try not to do this if you are playing in a friendly league.

Also, consider that a skaven warband is easy to do with just an eshin box and a small bits box(pstols from your empire army, for example. Not considering a rat ogre, wich is easy found in an island of blood box). I really enjoy building warbands in this way.
    For a nice vampire warband you must find ghouls and wolves, nothing easy to convert from your current miniature range.

Skaven are the most overpowered basic warband in the rulebook, so they should be nice and forgiving to a new player if you need that leeway. Slings are undercosted, you can start with 6 heroes, you get the option of a rat ogre and some funky weapons!

If you fancy being a little more unusual, there is a fan-made compilation of the basic rulebook plus all the expansions (Border Town Burning, Albion setting etc). That has rules for different skaven warbands (plague monks, Clan Skyrer/Moulder) and different undead warbands. The undead rules in the basic rulebook are terrible, but the fan rules have options for different bloodlines and more interesting henchmen options, so definitely worth checking out if you want to try the deadies :skull:

You could probably fix quite a lot about the undead band by adding a ghoul weapon list to include clubs 3 gold, two handed club 15 gold. Hero ghouls with combat master can get other stuff. That should fix a lot of issues