Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14

Thread: 7th legion army that I might do (yet another pre-heresy thing, yawn...)

Re: 7th legion army that I might do (yet another pre-heresy thing, yawn...)

Check this out, I did some work!

First up, here's my painted attack bike. I'm actually very happy with how this has come out. Probably my most successful scratch-build. Can't promise to finish the second one, especially now that I've remembered that they aren't scoring units in heresy. But this one is cool.

I'e also finished my heavy bolter squad. These guys actually perform quite a bit better than you might think in games. Something about all those bullets means that quite a lot of bad guys tend to end up falling over, and I get to roll a bunch of dice too.

There's always something more in the pipeline, and at the moment two things include these dreads. I've been experimenting with yellow spray and it's not been all that great if I'm honest. It's not the same colour as Yriel yellow so I have to do a thin coat of that on top, and I may as well not have bothered. I thought I'd try it though, since GW have weirdly stopped doing white spray and Corax white is no good for yellow. The Deredeo has had his Yriel coat and the Contemptor hasn't, so you can see the difference. The Deredeo has a scratch-built thingy on top that could either be a radar or that shield-booster thing you can buy them, depending on how I'm feeling.

I've finished 4 knights as well as it happens. Haven't got any good pictures of them yet but I'm pleased with how they've turned out. I took them to heat 1 of the UKGT and qualified as one of the best painted armies - and actually did reasonably well in the games too. Now I have to go to the finals, so I'll need a proper army for that! Currently thinking Tau, but who knows really.

I want to go back to earlier stuff that I've done to finish it off. I've got this crazy idea to re-learn to use CAD and experiment with 3D printing. I was never happy with the pulpit on my Spartan and think I could do something really interesting with a 3d printer. You never know, it might even happen...

Other than that I'm thinking of re-rationalising the army. Moving away from pride of the legion to something else - potentially based around Sigismund and some Templars in the Spartan. We'll see. I might still run a veteran squad in the rhino, because they're pretty good.

As ever, let me know what you think of this stuff. Hope you like.

Your attack bike is awesome, well done! You should definitely do the second.

If you're looking for a new white primer, Halfords White Primer is probably the best I've ever used. Their Grey, Red and White are amazing for resin, and I've never had it fail to adhere, even over uncleaned resin.
    Still's Heresy Log - Thousand Sons; new and improved following MKA Masterclass course.

Follow me @The1000thSon.

I might try that, cheers. I've got some army painter stuff but I've sometimes found it a bit grainy.

I probably ought to get myself an airbrush.

So I've been painting things yellow again, or at least one thing. The contemptor out of B@C. It's a pretty decent model I think for such a simple cast, though I did alter the angle of his legs so he's striding along properly.

I went with a new approach to this guy, which I call "Mandragola's lazy marine painting technique". It is to start with a gunmetal undercoat, black wash and drybrush, and paint the panels in from there. In the past I've found the metal bits of minis pretty fiddly and easy to mess up, spoiling the coloured panels - which is annoying with these yellow guys. Haven't tried this method on mkiii guys yet though. Obviously it requires a couple of thin layers of white before the yellow goes on. Basing still to do. I'm honestly not sure how I'm going to do these guys now. I've learned some new basing techniques for my Raven Guard, but the mud isn't right for my fists. I'll come back to that.

I'm pleased with the result - oh and I got the new transfer sheet and went to town on him a bit.

I painted the contemptor, in part, so that he could take part in my gaming club's 40k league, using the rules from Angels of Death (which don't work for my existing mortis or double grav-fist contemptors). Also for that army (which is white scars with IF allies) I decided to use my storm talon, which is part of my 40k marine army. I converted this up ages ago and gave it an incredibly basic paint scheme, which I've now finished off - minus maybe some chapter badges and transfers. I'm pretty pleased with how it's turned out. I used it in part to try out sponging on weathering, and I think that has come out pretty well.

Any comments and suggestions gratefully received as ever. Hope you like these things.

Re: Mandragola's 7th legion.

Amazing stuff and your yellow is to die for. Can't wait for the dreadnoughts to all be finished!

That stormtalon conversion is simple yet effective - never liked the look of the original model but the change in weapon position really makes a big difference!
    idDiiiiasAan

Thanks guys. I'm pleased with the stormtalon. I think the problem with the stock chin turret is that it's just too big and chunky. It looks like something that should be on a plane, not a tank. I imagine you could make one that looked good, maybe basically just two assault cannons on a pivot thing with ammo feeds going up into the hull. As you say, I think the stormtalon is a nice kit otherwise.

Anyway, next project is another plane. Actually it could be several as I've now got all the bits to make a strike wing of two stormhawks and two stormtalons. This is my first stormhawk.

For this thing I wanted to do a far more fundamental conversion. You get tons of spare bits in the stormhawk, some of which I've used for this and some of which I'll save for future projects. I don't especially like the high-wing monoplane look so I thought I'd have a go at turning it into a low-wing plane, like the WWII fighters. Initially I was thinking along the lines of an ME262. Then I had a bit of a brainwave and decided to turn it into more of an A:10, by using the tailplane to mount the engines instead of having them in the wings. The wings instead hold the multiple rocket launchers and have the assault cannons slung beneath. By using the weapon pod for the assault cannon, as I have for the stormtalon, it looks like there might actually be enough ammo in there to last the for a while.

First step was assembling the fuselage and removing the tail.

I also cut away the underside a bit to make the wings fit on.

And I removed the part of the wing that's designed to fit onto the roof of the fuselage. I'll have to make my own join, which will be tricky.

Here I am testing the fit of the wing.

Here are the engines, stuck to the cut down tailplane.

On the wings I wanted to turn the bit that's designed to house the engines into the multiple rocket pods. This one is having skyhammer missiles. By chopping away at two "fronts" of the weapon pods I was able to make this kind of hexagonal thing. I like that my stormhawk will have double the amount of missiles a standard one has, since it can keep firing for a bit longer! I always want to see more ammo on my models than GW likes to provide.

Meanwhile at the back end I make an A-10 style double tailfin. I did this using the lower part of the original rudder that I'd cut off. I used the two sides of that to make the top halves of the rear wing, and plasticard to make the underside, since it won't show as much. I didn't do an awesome job here of cutting the grooves for the elevators, so I'll need to do a bit of filling later on.

So here's how it looked at this point. I was pretty happy with most of it, but not totally convinced by the tailplane. I thought it was too far forward. The rudders needed beefing up too.

I therefore detached the rear wing and stuck it back on projecting behind the fuselage a bit. Filled the little triangle hole left behind. And I made an extension to the bottom of the rudders using various offcuts of bits of wing. In this picture I've also attached the assault cannons and icarus cannon. I've also added the little camera thingies to the sides of the cockpit, but using the aerial that would normally be on the stormhawk's wing because it looked cool there.

Here's another view, where you can see that there are still a load of gaping holes in the top of the wing for me to fill!

Baddy's eye view from the front, with quite a respectable amount of weaponry.

And here it is from the side.

This is where I'm up to now. I've started work with plasticard to fill the gaps in the top of the wing. I'll do a bit more to the back of the missile pod, probably involving some exhaust tubes/holes. Then I'll just need to resolve the junction where the wing meets the fuselage, do a bit of filling with GS, and it will be built.

Grateful for any C+C. I'm still not 100% sure I've got the engiens exactly where I want them. I could potentially move them forward and up a little bit, to get more clearance from the rudders. Or I suppose I could widen the tailplane a bit more instead. Hope you like it so far.

Love your work, the jet conversion is really effective and absolutely captures that A10 feel.

Will you put up painted pics of the converted Spartan? Would love to see that!

Thanks. The Spartan is currently still unfinished. It sits on my shelf and makes me feel guilty whenever I look at it. My excuse for this is that I've got big plans for it, involving a pulpit that ideally I'd like to 3D print, but I haven't got round to figuring out how to do that.

And there's always another project! My 7th legion army is kind of a labour of love, but that means it often has to wait while I rush together armies for events. So for instance right now I've got a few units to finish for a club tournament, and before that I put together a Norse bloodbowl team for an event at warhammer world last weekend. There's always something.

Ok cool, we're back.

Amongst other things, I've done a bit of work on my 7th Legion. I took them to heat 1 of the UK GT - acting as a 40k army rather than a 30k one. Actually it was kind of more a knight army with Imperial Fist allies. I got to try out my new plane though, and to stomp on death stars a lot. They also smacked me down with silly hammers from time to time, though I'm pleased to say I did well enough in the games to qualify.

Here's a pic of the "army" that I took. There's a fair bit of new stuff here: the centurions and scouts haven't featured before I think, and the plane is recently painted. I actually won the best army award at this event, though if totally honest I was the only one going for it. The rest of the armies were painted to a decent standard for tabletop.

Here my knights are in action, stomping on a death star. Unfortunately this death star featured tons of thunder hammers at S10, so it didn't go well for me

And here they go again. This time I got to stomp on some dark angels with a bunch of dogs from the space wolf codex, and no actual space wolves at all. Great stuff. Managed to win this one.

To be honest, the event wasn't the best. So many death stars! It was widely agreed that the game of 40k is in a very sorry state, at least as a competitive exercise. Watching death stars bang into each other is very like a game of rock paper scissors. Nice people at the tourney, but everyone was kind of frustrated by the game. Hopefully GW will throw the rules in the bin and start again.

I'm actually just back from an AoS doubles event at warhammer world. I threw together a thousand points of mortal nurgle guys to try out the game. We actually won all of our games, despite never having played before (and lots of checking of the rules). Now busy concocting evil plans for enlarging the force. Looking forward to painting the Glottkin. They will pretty much be the opposite of my clean, futuristic, heroic 7th Legion.

Not to say I'll be ditching the Imperial Fists though. I've bought myself a copy of the burning of prospero, so 30 more power-armoured guys are on the way, along with some friends. And at warhammer world I grabbed some new mechanicum heads for my knights as well.

Time for an update or two.

I thought I'd post some proper pics of my recent stuff, and to talk about what I'm doing next.

First up my recon/scout squad. I mostly made these out of the guys who hang off the land speeder storm. Sniper rifles are from a 30k recon squad and the sergeant has a space wolf scout head (minus the mohawk).

They are pretty heavily converted actually. I cut off their massive shoulder pads and the chest eagles, then did a bit of repositioning and lots of filling.

I'm pretty happy with the result. Not 100% on the camo, but on the whole I think they come across as a pretty serious special forces unit.

The bases are the new(ish) scenic ones that GW has brought out, plus a bit of mig mud. I'm pleased with the result and think I'll rebase my other guys on similar.

And this is my Stormhawk interceptor, finished and painted. I went to town on this thing with the transfers, and I'm actually pretty happy with how it's come out. Only thing is that the icarus gun turns out to be pretty useless if other people don't have flyers. I'll switch that for the lascannon at some point.

Ugh, that edge painting looks so untidy in these pics. Need to sort that, and spray on some matt varnish.

And here are some pictures of knights. I've got four of them so far. New heads haven't been stuck on yet, obviously. I might bring these to the GT finals this year if I bother to go.

First up, a paladin

Back half of his armour is black, in a very basic heraldic design. These mechanicum guys aren't fancy.

Then an Errant, with an even simpler scheme

And we've got a Castigator. This one needs the new head the most I think. And maybe I should do something more with its sword.

And finally my Baron, in his Warden. Fanciest roof, and different designs on his other armour plates to indicate his higher rank. I'm pleased with how this guy's pose came out. He does look like he's walking forward I think. I've had to pin his ankle joint though, replacing some plastic pins with metal ones. He holds up stood on one leg.

Any C+C on either post very welcome.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14