Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: 7th legion army that I might do (yet another pre-heresy thing, yawn...)

Re: 7th legion army that I might do (yet another pre-heresy thing, yawn...)

What I meant is you are already halfway there. You haven't gone for the gw standard edge highlights, nor have you gone for the full blended highlights towards multipule light sources. You've done (intentionally or not) a single light source (directly above) and you have chosen the highlights based on this light source.

It's why I'm finding it interesting to see what you do next.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothlanathorian
    Maidel, who is my personal hero (I_D is my savior) even has a heretical witch of a parent with BROWN Orcs!!

Please don`t change your Paintstyle and scheme! It is awesome and i fell a bit in love with your fists! Please pleas please contuinue like this.

I won't be radically altering the colour scheme. I like the overall effect and I think it's easily good enough for the standard marines.

A single light source above sounds about right for guys who are outside on the sun, so that's cool.

My objective is to have an army that looks great on the tabletop. That's part of the reason for going for a bright base colour and strong contrasts in shading. In the highly unlikely event that I was trying for golden daemon type stuff, I suppose I'd be doing something very different.

Maybe the Praetor, and potentially also the dread, should be of a different quality to the generic guys. They should look heavy and industrial while he has artificer armour, which should look like rather more time has been spent on it (by tech marines, not just by mme). So it will be shinier, maybe.

Ill post some pics of sky/earth experiments later. And thanks again for the comments. I don't consider myself and expert and all input is valuable. I do have a notion of what I'm aiming for and I'm aware that it's something a bit different. I'm not going to do anything if. I'm not happy with it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandragola View Post
    Ill post some pics of sky/earth experiments later. And thanks again for the comments. I don't consider myself and expert and all input is valuable. I do have a notion of what I'm aiming for and I'm aware that it's something a bit different. I'm not going to do anything if. I'm not happy with it myself.
    What I'm looking forward to is the storm eagle with the huge ram...
    Maidel, who is my personal hero (I_D is my savior) even has a heretical witch of a parent with BROWN Orcs!!

Yeah I'm looking forward to that too.

Anyway today I have been painting shades onto the guy, with earthshade for shadows and yellow where I wanted a deeper yellow colour. I think it's an interesting result, though bits of it are untidy at the moment and need more work. As a result of seeing these pictures I went straight back and cleaned up some parts, but others, particularly the arms I think, are looking quite good.

Bear in mind I'm trying out painting techniques I've never used before. I'd normally put a wash over a whole area, but for this guy I've been using it almost like a watercolour paint or something. Sometimes this has worked but not always! I feel like I could be painting this guy for the rest of my life...

I love the yellow ink. It really adds a richness to the yellow colour and I'm going to use it on my normal guys I'm sure.

Again, very interesting. Left knee pad looks wrong and the bottom of the right leg looks 'dirty' rather than shaded.

But again he looks awesome from above...

I think where he looks really good is where you have the crispest lines so the lower left leg and the left arm look really good. It goes a bit wobbly on the top of the left leg from behind, and it breaks the 'illusion'.

Looking forward to seeing it fully finished.

Yeah those are my thoughts, and you have identified all the same areas that work and don't work as I have. I've done some work to fix some of the problems but not there yet. I'm really happy with his left foot, lower leg (from the front anyway) and left arm (which is likely to come off and be replaced with a shield...) These pics show proof of concept though I think.

The top of the left leg is a problem area because it's not properly flat. I actually think I need to go back to that area with some green stuff. On the original model that part of the leg is really skinny and my original repair doesn't seem to have been satisfactory.

But if it was easy it wouldn't be fun, right?

I hate it when I spend ages on something, think it looks great, then take a photo on a 12mp macro lense Slr and I see it in all it's glory; and then I feel like such a failure because you can see every single slip of the brush.

I opened photoshop once on a photo just to make myself feel better....

Bit more modelling and painting done.

Heavy Flamer guy is built and ready for undercoat. Today some Crimson Fist shoulder pads arrived, so I cut the symbol off one of them and stuck it to this guy. Easy enough to do, with some liquid GS to fill in gaps. I think that will work well.

More work with inks on bolter guys and the Praetor. The two marines have a GS circle on their left shoulder pads, and I've modelled on a fist to one of those. I did that for about three guys before I got massively bored of it, and ordered the shoulder pads from GW. I think mine is ok, but the GW ones are better and more consistent.

I don't know whether these guys will be veterans or tactical marines. The heavy flamer guy is certainly a veteran, so that needs to be represented somehow. Probably with an additional ccw somewhere on him and maybe some other gear, purity seals etc. I'm not sure whether they would have had tactical symbols on them by this point, but that's obviously one way I could go. I'd rather not do something like different colour hats though.

And everyone together.

Ok. Heavy flamer guy is painted.

I'm happy with how this guy has turned out. It's a good standard for an infantry model in the army I think and an army of them on a table should look good. I painted him in an evening, which is doable for an army I think.

Since the last WIP shot I've added a few details. Going through my bits box I came across the grey knight shields, and that seems like a cool option as a thing to denote his veteran status. He's also got a sheathed knife from a scout biker, a bolt pistol and some grenades. I need to paint something into the shield and I'm not sure what that will be, but it won't be all that complicated a design.

Holstered pistols are a problem. I don't like the one you get with GW marines, as it's obviously far smaller than a bolt pistol. Equally, I don't want to have to buy two command accessory sets for every marine squad, just to have their pistols. I think what I might do is go for the Tigrus pattern bolter set for the tactical squad, but then I won't have combat blades for them and I think I do want my tactical squad to have extra ccws.

I'll have a talk with forgeworld and see if there's anything that can be done. Hopefully they won't just advise me to spend lots more money!

Anyway as I was saying, the heavy flamer guy:

No idea what I'll be doing for bases by the way. I'm considering some snow, maybe with a few of the new spiky tufts you can get.

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mandragola View Post
    Yeah I'm looking forward to that too.

Anyway today I have been painting shades onto the guy, with earthshade for shadows and yellow where I wanted a deeper yellow colour. I think it's an interesting result, though bits of it are untidy at the moment and need more work. As a result of seeing these pictures I went straight back and cleaned up some parts, but others, particularly the arms I think, are looking quite good.

Bear in mind I'm trying out painting techniques I've never used before. I'd normally put a wash over a whole area, but for this guy I've been using it almost like a watercolour paint or something. Sometimes this has worked but not always! I feel like I could be painting this guy for the rest of my life...

I love the yellow ink. It really adds a richness to the yellow colour and I'm going to use it on my normal guys I'm sure.

you really need to put this guy on ice skates

Damn you all!

I'd better get to work on his boarding shield then I suppose. The sticking out left arm doesn't really work.

Just had a chat on the phone with a guy from Forgeworld. Apparently the new poses for the marks will be in packs for the different legions. Lots of the stuff should be up for pre-order this week, and be mailed out in early November. I'm going to be at warhammer world for throne of skulls on the 10th/11th of November so that's probably when I'll grab a ton of new resin stuff.

These new packs do look even better than the existing ones and it will save me a lot of time chopping up legs too. I think I'll get the rest of my power armoured guys by mixing up these new guys when they appear. Shoulder pads aren't a problem as I'm already converting those.

Annoyingly, that means I can't really order anything right now without paying postage on it. That's probably no bad thing, as it will force me to finish the stuff I have. I might have a go at the vindicator or something.

Woah there. Wind that back. New poses for the forge world marine sets?

If so, I'm SO glad I hadn't ordered anything yet!

Ps - you have inspired me to revisit my imperial fists painting method I did before I decided to cop out and do crimson fists. I might well be joining you in the 30th millennium. If so, where did you mould the fist for the shoulder pads from. Thanks.

I inspired someone?

Apparently the new poses will only be on the guys from specific legions though, not mixed in with the normal packs. I had heard from people at games day that they got new-pose legs with their ordinary guys. I'm going to wait and see though.

Worth noting, Cataphractii are up on the FW website now to pre-order. That means they will have enough stuff for me to order to go over the £250 delivery thing at that point (2x bodies, 1x fists and 1x special wep sets, a storm eagle, predator executioner and a rhino). Doesn't seem like all that much stuff for >£250!

I don't have a mould for the fist. I've never tried doing that but I suppose I could. The GS fist symbols on some of the unpainted guys were just scuplted on freehand and the flamer guy's one was from the GW crimson fist shoulder pad set you can buy at http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/ca...d=prod1600066a for £6. I like how they have little rivets on, as the mark 3 armour is also covered in rivets. Makes them fit in well.

My own sculpted fists seem ok, but I'm lazy so getting these ones seemed like a plan. They are finecast so it's pretty easy to work with them. Only one is done so far but I'm happy with the result. I had to cut into the mark 3 shoulder pad to so I had two flat surfaces to join together, then used some liquid GS to fill the join.

Since I'm doing this, I can probably get the guys from the specific legions, chop off any obvious chapter markings and stick on fists. Then I'll have a lot more variety of poses and maybe a little variety of armour. I think I actually want everyone to be in pretty similar armour, but probably not identical.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	m2380841a_99800101094_CFShoulderPads_445x319.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	14.9 KB 
ID:	154513  

Looking really good so far. The heavy flamer is well-made, and that hero (Praetor, you say?) is a very cool idea. Might steal for an Emperors' Champion or Sigismund-conversion of my own.
    Broterhood of the Shattered Spear - Heresy-Era White Scars of the 189. Explorator-Fleet!

Heroes of Armageddon - Unwanted paints 21 different Chapters for fun and profit (No actual profit involved)

Unwanted Forays into Mordheim! Orcs in da ruins!

Cheers unwanted. Have fun with the Sigismund conversion if you do it.

"Praetor" the name in the legion list for a high-ranking character by the way. There are basically two characters; the Praetor, and the lower ranking guy who can be upgraded into 9 other specialities, like chaplain, librarian, siege master and so on. I don't know what the Imperial Fists would have actually called their guys as a rank, though loads of people seem to be Captains of various different levels, so a Captain is probably what he is.

Tonight I've been making him a shield and a new head. Shield is made of plasticard in two layers, a skull from some FW icons I bought years ago and green stuff. His arm is now the apothecary arm from the command set, with the drills and stuff removed, as I wanted something bulky where it attaches to the shield. Head is off a noise marine, with a faceplate modelled on a design I like from the betrayal book, which loads of the Emperor's Children have. Not sure if it's a hat design specific to the ECs. If so, they gave it to him for some reason. As you can possibly tell, fluff isn't totally my strong point...

So anyway here's the WIP so far. It's worth mentioning that his arm and head aren't glued on yet, but have pins holding them in place. I'll paint them before attaching as I don't want to spoil what's there already.

I think the shield looks pretty good and, with the hat, helps to make him more 30k. He has vague hits of Roman Legionary about him I think, which is one of the influences that should be present in his appearance.

I agree that the first time I saw the praetor I made the airplane noises in my head I think that changing the arm position to one that is braced in front of him parallel to the ground like he is about to elbow someone out of his way to get to his true target would make it look less "happy" Really like the scheme you have going on.

Raising the left arm up a bit from how it's shown in the photos does make him more dynamic. He ends up looking under his shield as he raises it, either to shield himself from fire or smash someone (probably a pregnant G20 protester) in the face.

I have to say, your Fists are in my opinion the by far the best i´ve ever seen. Love the work of the dammned artificer and shawn, but yours.... they do it for me. I realy realy love them

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast