Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: 7th legion army that I might do (yet another pre-heresy thing, yawn...)

Re: 7th legion army that I might do (yet another pre-heresy thing, yawn...)

Cheers SB. There's a lot of competition with 30k fists for some reason. Not sure why everyone has gone for them, though yellow is an interesting colour to work with. It's good for the realism crowd because it shows the dirt.

I've been giving my Vindicator some thought, as there isn't a forgeworld one on the horison, at least as far as I'm aware. I'm concious of the fact that they might bring one out, so I don't want to try and do a deimos pattern one that might become "superseded" by the FW one. Instead I'd like to make one that looks like a bit of a one-off or one of the early prototypes.

Research yielded this picture, from the inside of a German Sturmtiger. I've also been interested to see that lots of early tank destroyers and SPGs had open tops. Not sure if I want my one to have a removable roof or no roof but let's see where we can go with this.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sturmtiger_interior.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	105.9 KB 
ID:	154644  

Great work, a nice vibrant yellow with just a hint of battlefield wear and tear, impressive! Personally I liked the pose of the Captain, a beautifully thought out conversion with a real sense of forward motion. The left arm pulling across the chest will add to that sense of movement but I'm not a fan of the new head if I'm honest, but thats purely becuase I prefer bareheaded commanders in my armies, nothing against the sculpt (which is fine), nor am I keen on the size of the shield for such a dynamic model- feels like putting a snow plough on an Aston martin to me...

Keep it up man, I can see by your Forgeworld order that you will be kept very busy in the coming weeks!

Memnon

Thanks for the comments Memnon.

The new look with the shield is pretty odd. But then he's meant to stand out and be noticed so I quite like how he demands a second look. The really big shield fits with the Roman Legionary idea so I'm actually pretty happy with how it looks.

As for the helmet, two things. I wasn't totally happy with the bare head on its own merits for a start. Secondly, a friend pointed out that it's a bit odd to have a guy in artificer armour and carrying a massive shield, but with no helmet on. I actually don't think I'll have many guys at all without helmets in this army, though there will be a couple.

Anyway he's mostly painted now. Still not sure he will ever be finished, but here's how he looks now. I am at a stage where I'm kind of surprised by how nice the paint looks on him. It's starting to look like somebody who really knew what they were doing painted this guy, but actually it was me!

Brother Sergeant Brother Heinrich's Avatar

Now that is freaking badass. Makes me think of him leading a charge through a breach in an enemy fortification, well done!

incredible work! Stunning to say at least!

Reminds me of that bit in 300 where they are all hiding under their shields from the sky full of arrows...

(Ps in case anyone wonders, that's a GOOD thing!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothlanathorian
    Maidel, who is my personal hero (I_D is my savior) even has a heretical witch of a parent with BROWN Orcs!!

Cool. That's just the sort of thing I was aiming for.

New poses for all marks of armour are now on the FW website for pre-order, sent out on the 2nd of November by the way. Really glad I waited, as it's not just new positions but also some more detailing, with slightly pointed toes for for the mark 3s and stuff on some of the chests. Should still fit in fine with my existing guys though.

There are also holstered bolt pistols, grenades etc. Slight issue I have with these is that they are all holstered. I'm not sure there's a phobos pattern bolt pistol out of its holster as it doesn't look like the same thing that you get with the command upgrade. But the good news is that you can now make guys with the actual gear they should have.

Edit: I quite like the mark 2s as well. They seem to have been totally redone. I never really liked the originals, which seem to have sort of ape-like proportions. These ones are much better and I might use them, maybe for my tactical squad.

Oooh curious to see what you end with Vindicator-wise, I like the Praetors shield too but Im not a fan of the helmet, the model loses a lot of character without the grizzled face, its still great though!
    Pre Heresy Alpha Legion
    29/11/13 Odds and sods since Betrayal
    Nietzsche is dead.
    -God

I'm not a fan of bare faced marines at all. I completely understand why they are made, but even my wolves are fully helmeted (appart from a few old fully metal models where I cannot be ***ed to replace their heads).

It never makes sense to me why any marine would take their helmet off, they have far more protection and better senses with it on (yes yes, accept the wolves).

I'm really tempted to make my entire army from basic marine bodies...
    Maidel, who is my personal hero (I_D is my savior) even has a heretical witch of a parent with BROWN Orcs!!

your so lucky that you got the paicence to wait for the new legion MK Patterns. Half of my EC Army will have the old MK Patterns. But the other half will have cool poses. But since the EC Army won`t be the last HH Army i will create(Iron Hands, Salamanders or Ultras afterwards) i will order plenty of those then.

Somehow i've never noticed this thread before. Its looking great, particularly impressive work on the boarding shield. Looking forward to see what else you come up with. I'm also eagerly awaiting the 2nd of november, almost wish i hadnt seen the new armour variants at games day so i wouldnt of been waiting and couldve made some real headway by now...
    I will buy teutogen guard if anyone is selling them, and for a very good price. PM if you have any your willing to part with

So it's been ages, but I have an update. Took my wolves to two tournaments in the last month, getting 3rd place at Octoberfest in London and best space wolf at Throne of Skulls at Warhammer World. 10 wins and 1 loss where the game ended on turn 2 before I could move onto objectives. So my wolves work.

At throne of skulls I picked up a bunch of resin. I got 10 Cataphractii bodies with a set of power fists and a set of special weapons, 5 legion mark 3 bodies and 10 phobos bolters, plus a Storm Eagle. Unfortunately since then I've also taken delivery of my new Bicycle, which made a massive dent in the bank account (due to being a 1954 curly Hetchins that I've had restored and covered in bits with "Campagnolo" written on them) and took a bit of my time. I also bought a pretty good bike lock...

Anyway, excuses aside, I have done a little bit of work. I've put together two Cataphractii and painted one of them. The Storm Eagle's hull is together and paused while I scratch my head wondering how to make the pointy ram for it. Here are some pictures.

Here's the first termie.

And this is the 2nd Cataphractii, who I've built with lightning claws, and who looks approximately as badass as any GW figure I think I've ever seen.

Here's the hull of the Storm Eagle. If you can imagine trying to glue together 4 bananas into the shape of a brick, then you can understand how much work was required to get this far. I filled a bowl with boiling water, which helped, and adds the risk of scalding to the normal dangers of cutting myself up or gluing my fingers together.

Did you have to post this today? Really?

I had JUST made up my mind that I was going to do emperors children. I was even having to go into town to pick up some stuff for my wife and I'd worked out I could swing past gw and get some paints.

Then you put this up and I'm back to thinking about imperial fists again.

You *******!

And back to reality. That cataphracti with lightning claws. Omfg, I'd decided I preferred the other fw terminators and you just completely changed my mind.

So, now not only do I not know what colour to paint them, I don't even know what I'm painting!!!

Btw, look at the lightning claws and the yellow on the tips of the claws and on the base. Change just those bits of yellow to blood red and how awesome would that be!
    Last edited by Maidel; 24-11-2012 at 11:36.

Sorry

To be fair, I think this technique would work just as well with Emperor's Children or anything with a strong colour, like blood angels or Salamanders. EC would probably want less of an industrial feel so I'd go for mark 4 armour for most of the marines I think, but Cataphractii would still be great.

I do prefer Cataphractii to Tartarus but Tartarus ones match mark 4 well. But you could also use a variety of marks and that would be entirely reasonable.

Yay, you're back! Cataphracti are looking very nice, though I actually prefer the Tartaros/rus (?).
    Broterhood of the Shattered Spear - Heresy-Era White Scars of the 189. Explorator-Fleet!

Heroes of Armageddon - Unwanted paints 21 different Chapters for fun and profit (No actual profit involved)

Unwanted Forays into Mordheim! Orcs in da ruins!

I just want to say that I love your painting style, its super awesome. You even make Imperial fists look good lol.

Your project looks great, keep up the good work.

Really enjoying the clean yellow, and beautifully painted models.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandragola View Post
    Sorry

To be fair, I think this technique would work just as well with Emperor's Children or anything with a strong colour, like blood angels or Salamanders. EC would probably want less of an industrial feel so I'd go for mark 4 armour for most of the marines I think, but Cataphractii would still be great.

I do prefer Cataphractii to Tartarus but Tartarus ones match mark 4 well. But you could also use a variety of marks and that would be entirely reasonable.
    Bought the purple paint. I already have they yellows so it hasn't quite made my mind up yet.

Looking forward to seeing the lightning claw guy finished.

Ok this one's for Maidel. If you don't like it, blame him, not me.

So the blood is an experiment - one that I really should have tried on a blank base rather than a cataphractii! Still, it sort of works I think.

The rest of the squad are under construction. 3 more are built. The one in the middle is going to be the sergeant.

I think I'll do a standard bearer in the unit. Mostly he won't be anything special, just a guy with a power fist, but it allows me to field them as a command squad if I feel like it and it will be a good centre piece for the army.

I've been thinking about whether to have any power-armoured guys in anything other than mark 3. I do quite like the legion mark 2 guys, but stood next to the mark 3s they definitely don't look as good. I think I want a squad of mark 3s with volkite calivers. They should really look great, though possibly a bit too much like something from fallout.

Ok - only blame me IF I get to take all the credit as well?

Because frankly thats awesome!

PS - when I get my cataphracti after christmas (When I have any cash again!) Im definitely nicking that idea and scheme!

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast