Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Ahriman: Exile by John French

Re: Ahriman: Exile by John French

Still haven't been able to download it myself. Keep getting an error.

Battle-barge Spear of Lycaeus of the Sons of Corax 2nd Company

Quote Originally Posted by schmoozies View Post
    Still haven't been able to download it myself. Keep getting an error.
    Appears to be a widespread problem. Best thing is to email them.
    My 40k/Writing/Review blog - Sons of Corax Full list of my novel, comics, and audio drama reviews - Reviews. New review on 11/8/2013 is for Death of Antagonis by David Annandale.

My current fiction projects - Dharmayoddha, an Indian-mythology inspired urban fantasy set in Mumbai, India; Hammer of Shadows - a Euro-medieval epic fantasy with knights, gladiators and ancient relics; Cloak of Secrecy - a Norse-mythology inspired space opera.

So, how about that new book by John French.

I'm enjoying it, for the most part. Those who are waiting for the meatspace dead tree edition can take heart in the fact that with any luck proofing errors will be yanked out of it by then, because I'm finding more than I really should and I'm a little miffed by them. But if you're not an OCD-crippled pedant, the actual story seems interesting enough, with Ahriman on the run and hiding out from the wrath of those who didn't think the Rubric was a resounding success. Seeing John play around with a whole novel is a lot of fun, and I think he'll be a man to watch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
    I will keep this in mind in case I ever want to be a Necron bride.
    The Collect Call of the Cthulhu
    Damien 1427's Broad Collection of Tat - My attempt at actually painting things.

Get a tustom citle 'ere! blackcherry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Damien 1427 View Post
    I'm enjoying it, for the most part. Those who are waiting for the meatspace dead tree edition can take heart in the fact that with any luck proofing errors will be yanked out of it by then, because I'm finding more than I really should and I'm a little miffed by them. But if you're not an OCD-crippled pedant, the actual story seems interesting enough, with Ahriman on the run and hiding out from the wrath of those who didn't think the Rubric was a resounding success. Seeing John play around with a whole novel is a lot of fun, and I think he'll be a man to watch.
    How bad are the errors Damien1427? I'm not a professional proof reader like yourself, but I've done enough of it in the past that any errors do irk me and can even take me out of the story if if its horrendous, like missing words or sentences that aren't given the correct grammar (not that mine is exactly brilliant ).
    Last edited by Codsticker; 29-12-2012 at 16:57.
    Quote Originally Posted by outbreak View Post
    I always thought the dwarfs fit well as the rugged stoic Brokeback Mountain type homosexual race of Warhammer. It explains why they're not reproducing as much too. On the outside their all gruff and hard but on the inside their just cuddly bears looking to be loved.
    I now have a sale on. Come get your models for cheap! Blackcherrys Sale Thread

So far, maybe a word or two without gap between them or the wrong punctuation mark. Nothing earth-shatteringly awful that'll yank you out of the story.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
    I will keep this in mind in case I ever want to be a Necron bride.
    The Collect Call of the Cthulhu
    Damien 1427's Broad Collection of Tat - My attempt at actually painting things.

Get a tustom citle 'ere! blackcherry's Avatar

Ok. Thanks for letting me know . I may buy this to read on my Kindle then.
    Quote Originally Posted by outbreak View Post
    I always thought the dwarfs fit well as the rugged stoic Brokeback Mountain type homosexual race of Warhammer. It explains why they're not reproducing as much too. On the outside their all gruff and hard but on the inside their just cuddly bears looking to be loved.
    I now have a sale on. Come get your models for cheap! Blackcherrys Sale Thread

Just finished the story.

It's enjoyable. I liked French's portrayal of Ahriman as a man haunted by the daemons of his past and the consequences of the choices he has made. He constantly struggles against what he perceives as "fate" in the hopes of saving his legion and his brothers.

That's not to say that I didn't have my quibbles. There are a few plot points I felt were handled poorly, and some of the supporting cast felt weak. Perhaps my biggest gripe revolves around some of the "hard choices" characters make; I did not feel that French fully conveyed the necessity of these decisions.

Overall, though, I like the book. If you're looking for more of Ahriman's Wacky Adventures, look no further.

Ahriman: Exile.

I'm reading it right now and I am quite enjoying it. French does visuals and narrative really well, it's very immersive and I am really enjoying the look at Ahriman as he was Post-Rubric. Not at all what I expected and that is how I like it. More thoughts once I finish.

SH
    Last edited by Codsticker; 29-12-2012 at 16:57.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADB
    Argel Tal drowned his answer in the emotionless mask of a crested, silver-faced helm.

"I've seen into the hell behind reality. It stole my sense of humour."

Kharn didn't reply. Hard to argue with that.

More spoilers please

Quote Originally Posted by cornonthecob View Post
    More spoilers please
    About what? Anything in particular or just general spoilers??

SH
    Argel Tal drowned his answer in the emotionless mask of a crested, silver-faced helm.

About the characters, story, erm...any spoilers about Great Crusade and Heresy related stuff?
    Bits Blitz - the place to be for all your bits needs!

Space ship design project

Troll Forged Miniatures

Sciror

Quote Originally Posted by malika View Post
    About the characters, story, erm...any spoilers about Great Crusade and Heresy related stuff?
    Just finished it now and it's a damn good novel. It's not perfect and there are some unanswered questions but as this is a trilogy those things can be forgiven.

I don't know what era this story is set in however, but there is a hint that it's very early after the Heresy. Ahriman at one point sees the symbol for the Inquisition and doesn't recognize it.

SH

Chapter Master

Thanks for the spoilers. Sounds like a really good book
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hatl View Post
    ALL SHALL FALL BEFORE THE ENDLESS CRUSADE! HERESY IS WEAKNESS! HUMANITY SHALL PREVAIL, WITH THE EMPROR'S WILL AS ITS STANDARD AND WATCHWORD! ONWARD, MY BROTHERS!

Seriously, if you're such a **** that you need a Chaos god to back you up in any fight you enter you deserve to get murdered. Real men do it by force of their own badass. And don't even get me started on those weak-ass mother **** psyker witch losers.

How is Ahriman himself portrayed? Regret at the Rubric is understandable, but I hope it's not overdone; I felt the tone at the end of ATS was perfect. Still far, far away from the moustache-twirler of the 'current' setting, but resigned, determined and angry, on the verge of outright ruthlessness.

Quote Originally Posted by Scammel View Post
    How is Ahriman himself portrayed? Regret at the Rubric is understandable, but I hope it's not overdone; I felt the tone at the end of ATS was perfect. Still far, far away from the moustache-twirler of the 'current' setting, but resigned, determined and angry, on the verge of outright ruthlessness.
    Well considering that he has doomed his brothers to a horrific eternity as shades with only the tiniest fragments of who they were remaining with the alternative option being letting them become insane monsters, betrayed his father's trust who then cast him out of the Legion he loved for trying to save it, and was faced with the fact that he completely and 100% failed and was wrong, just plain wrong which was a massive blow to his confidence and his ego... his being broken up really badly is understandable. He spends a lot of the novel trying to run away from who he was, believing that Ahriman failed and that failure cost everybody he cared about, but him, everything. He looks for answers mainly because he feels he must, not because he really cares about surviving or anything else like that.

So the regret is played on pretty heavily through the novel but it's fitting when you consider everything that Ahriman has done and the scope of his failure.

SH

The impression I got from the end of ATS and his codex entries is that by the time he cast the Rubric he was pretty bloody-minded about it; his hatred of the corruption and his 'end justifies the means' mindset eclipsed his actual care for the legion. I'm sure it's done perfectly well, I just wouldn't want him to become something of a sop.

Quote Originally Posted by Soul Hunter View Post
    Just finished it now and it's a damn good novel. It's not perfect and there are some unanswered questions but as this is a trilogy those things can be forgiven.

I don't know what era this story is set in however, but there is a hint that it's very early after the Heresy. Ahriman at one point sees the symbol for the Inquisition and doesn't recognize it.

SH
    Thanks for the spoilers. I really can't wait to read this.
    The Emperor upholds a teleological scheme for the future of man, unifying and perfecting humanity through the intense application of martial violence, and I will endeavour to uphold it.

Quote Originally Posted by Scammel View Post
    The impression I got from the end of ATS and his codex entries is that by the time he cast the Rubric he was pretty bloody-minded about it; his hatred of the corruption and his 'end justifies the means' mindset eclipsed his actual care for the legion. I'm sure it's done perfectly well, I just wouldn't want him to become something of a sop.
    Definitely not a sop. Ahriman's defining flaw is his arrogance; this is shown time and time again. Other characters call him out on it repeatedly. He is always so convinced that he, and he alone, has the knowledge, the plan, and the mandate to do what must be done. If Magnus wasn't going to intervene, then HE, Ahriman, would have to step in. No one else could. When he created the Rubric, he was absolutely sure that it was the perfect cure.

Obviously, that wasn't the case, and it rattled him to his core. As such, it is not entirely surprising that a huge part of Exile is Ahriman dealing with his guilt and his own failings. By the end of the book, he has largely come to grips with his choices and is beginning to forge a new path.

Of course, Ahriman is still Ahriman, and we haven't seen the last of his mistakes....
    Last edited by DDM; 29-12-2012 at 07:35.

Quote Originally Posted by DDM View Post
    Definitely not a sop. Ahriman's defining flaw is his arrogance; this is shown time and time again. Other characters call him out on it repeatedly. He is always so convinced that he, and he alone, has the knowledge, the plan, and the mandate to do what must be done. If Magnus wasn't going to intervene, then HE, Ahriman, would have to step in. No one else could. When he created the Rubric, he was absolutely sure that it was the perfect cure.

Obviously, that wasn't the case, and it rattled him to his core. As such, it is not entirely surprising that a huge part of Exile is Ahriman dealing with his guilt and his own failings. By the end of the book, he has largely come to grips with his choices and is beginning to forge a new path.
    DDM is right about the ego. Ahriman was convinced that the Rubric was the correct course of action, and he failed spectacularly. It's hard to feel confident after such a failure and that is why Ahriman has such a hard time moving on, that and the fact that part of him still feels that the Rubric was the best of two bad choices. As such he's rattled by his failure and is afraid that if he becomes Ahriman again he will fail as he did before and cause even more damage.

SH

Chillin' like Gilligan, out on a an island, fishin' with my string and bamboo

I have removed a large number of posts that were off topic (and edited those that referenced them for the sake of continuity).

Costicker

The Warseer Mod Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty
    What the Modsticker said.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast