Thread: All-skink army viable?

Chapter Master

All-skink army viable?

I'm a big fan of Skink models, but I don't really like the Saurus Warriors.
    So I wanted to know if a full Skink army is a good choice, or utter crap?
    I would build it around 1000 points (obviously not much larger, because it'll get whooped else).
    I have a full Night Gobbo list at 1500 wich is pretty decent, but they've got alot of good extra chaff/stuff in there.

I'd only use Skinks, Terradon Riders, possibly a Stegadon (tough still in doubt), and Salamanders/Razordon's.
    I'd also love to use the tichi-Huichi Raiders (possibly as Cold One Saurus, but with a Skink look).
    Kroxigors are probally not going to happen (don't like them).

So, would an army based around this be decent, good, or crap?
    Proud member of ETC Belgium 2013

Re: All-skink army viable?

It would actually do very well, both in small and large games.

There's really not much else to say, except that I assume you're going with a skirmish-style army. An army of ranked skinks really is pretty crappy.

If they had a better lore, or even the ability to get the wizardhat, they would be a lot more viable.

As it is that can do well but have touble with the large units and any return fire.
    The only cure known for the dreaded illnes of Ruleslawyeritus is a swift dosage of punchinthefaceicilin. -Tapok
    The 7 Habits of Effective Gamers: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232493
    The ONLY reason i joined this forum was to join Malorians arenas. - teafloy_the_damned
    Join the Arena of Death!: http://www.warseer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25
    Me on Youtube!: http://www.youtube.com/user/MrMalorian?feature=mhum

Chapter Master

hmm, so it's not as crappy as I thought??
    Btw, I like the old 5th edition plastic Skinks with bows (probally going to get some at a convention next month). But can Skinks still take bows? I heard they can't...

No bows other than the giant bow on the steg.

Basically you run them like wood elves and run circles and break units down.
    The only cure known for the dreaded illnes of Ruleslawyeritus is a swift dosage of punchinthefaceicilin. -Tapok
    The 7 Habits of Effective Gamers: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232493
    The ONLY reason i joined this forum was to join Malorians arenas. - teafloy_the_damned
    Join the Arena of Death!: http://www.warseer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25
    Me on Youtube!: http://www.youtube.com/user/MrMalorian?feature=mhum

At 1000pts i usually take a block of 18 saurus with lots of skinks/terradons/chamos/salamanders. I run around avoiding combat with the toughest units while funneling a decent target toward my saurus. I'm sure you could swap the saurus for a unit of skrox and have it work.

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by Moss View Post
    At 1000pts i usually take a block of 18 saurus with lots of skinks/terradons/chamos/salamanders. I run around avoiding combat with the toughest units while funneling a decent target toward my saurus. I'm sure you could swap the saurus for a unit of skrox and have it work.
    and without Saurus or Skrox?? Just a Stegadon (or 2)??

Could a Slann work in this army (as he doesn't have a blok of Saurus to hide in)? And from how many points would you field it?

Fielding a Slann even in an 1100 point game is fine. He's quite self sufficient with his free discipline and ward save built in.

You could definitely work the army, but panic is going to be a problem and so is winning fights. Ranked skinks are pathetic fighters who can really only hope to win against other inept troops like skeletons, slaves, and goblins, all of which by the way outfight them.

If you are willing to take kroxigar, this will actually allow you to win fights.

If you are willing to take multiple stegadons (a 2500 point list can easily feature 7, your 1000 point list could support 2). You can win fights through impact hits and thunder stomps.

An all skink or mostly skink army is totally viable because it is totally mobile. Skink skirmishers are faster than elves by one point. They lack ballistic skill 4 and the range of bows, but can make up for these defects with poison and multiple shots. Skinks are also much cheaper (and sadly even more frail) than elves and can bring massive numbers to bear. Even a 1000 point list can field well over 100 skinks.

Your army will win through maneuvering and fleeing while shooting enemies down. The idea would be to weaken a unit with shooting, charge in with stegadons and destroy it. Terradons and chameleon skinks can take care of castling armies or artillary while lightning magic can take care of heavily armored knights that can generally outdistance stegadons and shrug off most skink firepower.

Leadership and panicking are a problem because skink chiefs are the only general available to all skink armies and they really, REALLY suck. To get a general and a BSB will be a lot of points spent on increasing your leadership by 1 and getting re-rolls, but not increasing your fighting prowess. Skink chief characters in units to increase leadership and fighting capability aren't really viable because... they suck so much and are so expensive that you could just field another unit of skinks instead of getting the character. you really want your Slann away from the action, but since your shooting is such short range, all your troops will need to be close to the enemy to function.

Is the army viable? I would say yes, totally. It's going to cost a fair amount of money to buy so many skinks though, and I imagine it will also either win big or lose big. It would primarily be a mostly shooting army, and those are only fun to play if you are a certain kind of gamer and generally not fun to play against at all, so be aware of that too.
    The Obsidian Thirst Battle Report Thread:
    http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...Battle-Reports
    -Aaron Dona

...this way... says the fox ....................

The army certainly works very well, if you incude a Slann. Withhout the slann the armylist suffers, but is still playable.

I've been running 'just' Southlands lists since 4th Ed.(maybe 5th) and I think they're still as strong as they always were. Salamanders, chamies, skirmishers are still the best units in the armybook and make for a strong list if your building your primary focus around these units. If so then its all about both and movement phase and shooting phase and concentrating firepower to deplete units and/or using chaff to control the board. Either way Skink lists do this really well because they're really cheap for such strong multi-task units.

I personally think if you want to win more than you loose then a Slann general is your one true option. His ability to keep your models on the board through Ld9 - C.Blooded - BSB is key. ShadowSlanns + Salanmanders + Chammies = one of the best range attack builds in the game, while regular skinks support units help you control your targets.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayosiv View Post
    Is the army viable? I would say yes, totally. would primarily be a mostly shooting army, and those are only fun to play if you are a certain kind of gamer and generally not fun to play against at all, so be aware of that too.
    I think you get 24 in a box. Thats the best buy of all boxes isn't it? I've seen people run cold ones as salamanders ... including Momus(who has some excellent BR write-ups btw). You could make the list on the cheap, thats for sure.

In general, I've always gotten a pretty good re-action to playing Southlands list both in and outside of tournaments(this edition), people are usually pretty happy to be playing against to different type of list.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn87 View Post
    Btw, I like the old 5th edition plastic Skinks with bows (probally going to get some at a convention next month). But can Skinks still take bows? I heard they can't...
    Just run those skinks as B.Pipes. Only one person in ... I don't know ..... 8 years has complained that I hadn't remodelled my skinks and even the TO/Judge laughed at him.
    Last edited by Frankly; 22-10-2012 at 19:22.
    .......... alittle more ....... a little more.

You're right about the skink box being the best deal. In fact, I recommend buying as many as you need now, before GW gets wise to this fact and starts selling them in packs of 16.

All skink army with stegs is a lot of fun.. however, you need a few 10 man cohort units for redirecting..

If your going for a skink army, the Slaan doesn't really fit and takes a lot of points. Also as someone above mentioned you almost have to do a large amount of skirmishers. The problem is without ranked up troops your going to lose 90% of the time this edition. While poisoned darts are sweet, your very rarely going to take out an entire ranked up unit with them. If you went all skink, then no you won't win. If you used the extras like Krox and Steg you still can. Ranking up a few units of 24 skinks and 3 krox could be fun. Ranking up a few units 50 skinks will just lose and you'll have a lot of money dumped into it.
    However if your group or tournaments allow special characters you can make skink armies a little more viable.

...this way... says the fox ....................

Quote Originally Posted by dms505 View Post
    If your going for a skink army, the Slaan doesn't really fit and takes a lot of points.
    Thats so completely wrong! A slann is the PERFECT general for a skinks list. While the rest of the army has high movement for positioning + Slann debuffing + Shooting can net you massive gains out side of combat, which is where the list wants to be.

Again: Cold blooded + Ld + BSB is enough to warrant having a slann in your list.

The problem is without ranked up troops your going to lose 90% of the time this edition.
    Your talking about a redirection/negation skink list, it doesn't play mass combat and its the best of its type of MSU gaming.

While poisoned darts are sweet, your very rarely going to take out an entire ranked up unit with them.
    Salamanders = primary shooting. (The backbone of the list tbh.)

Chamies(can) = primary shooting.

Skinks = support shooting.

Skinks are the multi-task unit from hell. Yes they're either there to mass shot, but more importantly they're there to redirect threats away from your slann or salamanders or chamies. Your reallly going to spend your deployment and first turn getting your salamanders into a position to cause 60+ casualities on turn 2 and hopefully turn 3, skink units are there as your primary chuff defence to get your salamanders into a good position.

You don't think skink lists can deal with rank and file hordes and yet you dismiss using the Slann. Slann's casting withering + salamander spam and massed shooting is the core of most LM lists not running Dual slanns/guard. Or Soulbright ... yummm deathslann's. Running 2 x 3 sallies + supporting shots rip through horde units, Slann's just make it more brutal.
    Last edited by Frankly; 23-10-2012 at 23:59.
    .......... alittle more ....... a little more.

A word of caution, skinks cohorts do not rank up as nicely (model-wise) as the box cover would make it seem. The tails of some of the skinks will bump into the skinks in the rank directly behind, some of the weapons will need some special positioning. Make sure you find a solution before putting the skinks together or you will have a hassle EVERY time you try to rank them up akin to the hassle with the old temple guard or the cloak problems of DE corsairs. One idea, if you can't make the models fit in everywhere, is to put a number under the base, signifying rank and file, then just make sure they work in that formation.

It is very powerful when you tool your Slaan(s) up correctly.

I wasn't saying the Slaan doesn't fit, as in works well with. I was saying theme-wise. For instance the old Southlands list. I liked that old list and I wish they had it again. It made the "mostly" skink only list really viable and fun.

Chapter Master GenerationTerrorist's Avatar

This is the army that pains my WoC and High Elf lists more than any other.
    My opponent uses an Ethereal Shadow Slaan BSB with all the usual tricks. It dominates the magic phase 80% of the time.
    It is a lot of eggs in one frog-shaped basket, but you ignore the masses of Skinks at your peril.

As I have learned several times :-(

2 Ancient Stegadons, 3 units of Salamanders, 5 Terradons and a flying Skink Priest are the other big hitters.
    Everything else skirmishes, moves all over the place, and poisons anything they look at.
    Fantasy
    - Warriors of Tzeentch (3000pts) - Forest Goblin Spider Ladz (1500pts) -
    - A Stompa-led Ork Waaagh! (2000pts) - Deathwing (1750pts) -
    LINKS: Trade Thread - eBay Auctions